Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Unread 09-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

A lot of insight into Buckingham, particularly his later life, can be gained in reading "Letters to John Bailey".

I've often wondered why the Buckingham family never sold or handed off his "papers" to some institution. Maybe they were thrown out upon his death, who knows.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

thanks bill for setting me straight...i wish i had that old 6 ga...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

In a Jan. 21, 1971 letter to Kay and George Bird Evans, Nash alluded to "trying to put together a last book of 'rather unusual' mixed contents." Sometime in the very late 1970s or early 1980s, Irma Witt Buckingham, Nash's daughter, approached the publisher Alfred Knopf with what she referred to beforehand as a "large assortment of material" with the idea of publishing a book. (Knopf had been a gunning companion of Nash's on more than a few occasions).

Knopf referred the project to a professor of English literature who taught creative writing at Rutgers University whom he knew as an ardent waterfowler, and whose graduate student at the time shared an even greater interest in the project. They met at least once with Irma, after which the graduate student (majoring in ornithology) was selected as lead research investigator for a Smithsonian Institution expedition to remote areas of Central America to collect and catalog rare birds.

The supposed 9-month assignment was extended to nearly 2 1/2 years. During that time, Irma and the Rutgers University professor came to an impasse as to certain aspects of the material to be published, and the project was terminated. On her last visit to Alfred Knopf in New York City, Irma visited the professor and expressed her regrets, handing him as she left a small cardboard box containing approximately 50 handloaded Western "Leader" 3-inch 12 ga. shells, saying that they were among the contents of Nash's desk at home collected after his death. Later, when the graduate student returned from the Panamanian expeditions, the professor gave them to him as a sort of a "consolation prize" for, as the professor put it, "having missed the whole shootin' match."

The "large assortment of materials" presented by Irma may or may not have formed the basis for the later publication of Nash's Autobiography or may have played a part in the assemblage of the "Letters to John Bailey."
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

I believe the "assortment of materials" and Nash's mention of a final book were the box of "stuff" that later went into the autobiography. If memory serves, it was given by or purchased from the family by an actor then put together into a book finally.

The "Letters to John Bailey" book is literally that, letters that he's written to Bailey that Bailey held on to.

What I'm talking about is all the correspondence and other various paper that Buckingham most assuredly had saved over the years. Manuscripts of his published works, letters from friends, that sort of thing. Maybe he didn't save it like I assume he did, or maybe it was all tossed upon his death. They had moved when Irma got sick to be closer to their daughter, so maybe most of that stuff got trashed rather than moved with them.

Chub Andrews ended up with a lot of personal possessions of Nash's but I don't believe he got any paper. He had Bo-Whoop #2, a duck boat, some decoys, one of the Beaver Dam record books, some duck calls and other various gear that I'm aware of. Bo-Whoop #2 was sold by him in later life then given to Ducks Unlimited by the buyer, some of the other items also ended up with DU but knowing Chub they were sold rather than given. He had a bunch of plastic Tigrette Industries mallard decoys he claimed were Nash's that he'd painted his initials on the bottom of. He sold those one by one over the years to interested parties. He's passed away now, though I knew him slightly and had chatted with him about Buckingham on a couple of occasions.

He rode that "last hunting companion of Nash Buckingham" thing pretty hard and wasn't real popular around the Tunica area. Mike Boyd tells a hilarious story about being in his fathers duck blind hunting with a buddy and Chub coming up in a boat trying to run him out of it saying they were trespassing in "his duck blind". When young Mike explained that he was the owner of the blinds son, Chub got back in his boat without a word and took off through the swamp like lightening had struck. The owner of the Blue and White tells a good one about Chub coming in saying he wanted to have an event to celebrate Nash's life and present them with a print he'd done to honor his memory. The event came off, Chub waxed nostalgic about his days hunting with his ol' buddy Nash and presented this framed print to the owner saying how much he appreciated all the good times he and Nash had having breakfast in there over the years. A few days later a bill for the the print and it's framing arrived from Chub even though during the presentation he said it was a gift. The owner never replied or paid for it though, and I believe it still hangs in there today.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

a goodone destrey...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #16
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Finished bloodlines. Enjoyed it emmensely. Going to read Rutledge home by the river. Probably try to track down a copy of Ol Miss next.
Unread 10-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #17
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,770 Times in 2,351 Posts

Quote:
I have recently received a copy of "The Best of Nash Buckingham" edited by George Bird Evans. I'm only through the intro, but it is obvious the GBE thought a lot of Buckingham. This particular book is interesting in that it is inscribed by John Olin to a friend's father.
At least half of what GBE wrote about Harold Money and his family on pages 65 and 66 goes from misleading to dead wrong.

Destry is right on that Dear John-:, Nash Buckingham's Letters to John Bailey is a great read.

Quote:
handloaded Western "Leader" 3-inch 12 ga. shells, saying that they were among the contents of Nash's desk at home collected after his death
LEADER were Winchester shells --

If the shells were Winchester factory loaded the head stamp was Winchester LEADER --

If the cases were sold by Winchester as NPEs the head stamp was 1901 LEADER --

Western Cartridge Co.'s premium high-brass shell was the RECORD --

Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

From what I am reading so far, I am of the assumption that Rutledge was in an entirely different economic situation than Buckingham? He seems to be spending a ton of money on his family home.

Its a good variation in writing style by the way, going from Buckingham to Rutledge. Enjoy both immensley, but there is a drastic difference in their prose and story telling.
Unread 01-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #19
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,598 Times in 341 Posts

I was lucky enough to be a member of Beaver Dam for 9 years.I assisted Dr.Dirk Halstead and the actor Robert Urich to purchase all of Nash's papers from his granddaughter.The result of that were the two last books,Nash's Letters to John Bailey and Once Upon a Time.Once Upon a Time was the last book Nash wrote.Dr.Halstead and Urich sold many of Nash's personal letters and they are scattered to the wind now.I had Nash's Dan Kidney duckboat.It is now in the Howard Harlan collection.The biggest part of the lake is still owned by the Owen family.Mike Boyd owns a part of the south end.I think there are 13 landowners who have a share of the lake and bayou.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post: