Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

My First Parker SBT
Unread 03-08-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default My First Parker SBT

Gentlemen,
I have owned 7 Parkers in my life (all doubles) and just purchased my first SBT. For being a trapshooter at heart for 45 years, one would think I would have started with this one. It is a shooter that I intended to have on hand should I decide to shoot at the "Nostalgia Shoot" at the ATA Grand American World Trapshooting Tournament.
I would welcome any and all feedback on what you see in the following photos to further educate me on this fine Parker. As I noted, I purchased it to shoot it; mainly because of the stock dimensions being 1-3/8" DAC on the MC stock. I know the stock is not original, however the workmanship is very good; wood to metal fit is excellent and the checkering is very good in a pleasing pattern.
The FE is attached to the iron in a different method from Parker and if anyone can identify the maker that would be very helpful.
The metal is likely refinished as it is in excellent shape; 98+% blue and 90+% CC. It appears to my eye to be Del Grego and I am going to contact Lawrence about that possibility.
According to the Serial Number book, it was made in 1927 and originally had a straight grip stock which has obviously been replaced. Other than the wood, it appears everything else is kosher.
I shot 25 rounds with it Saturday with the installed Pachmayer "sporting" type pad and it hurt. Replaced it with a "Kick-Eez" today and shot another 25 and it is really comfortable now. It will obliterate targets at 16 all the way back to 23 and 25. Boy does it move quick!! I shoot an 11# K-80 Trap Special in my regular shoots so there is not a lot of similarity.

Serial # 223403
Bore: .742
Choke: .703
Constriction: .039 (and it IS tight-shooting)
Weight: 9#
Balances right on the hinge pin
Pitch = 0
32" uncut barrel
DAC: 1-3/8"
DAH: 1-3/4"
LOP: 14-1/8"
Red Front Site
White Mid Site on the 5th post from the rear
Forearm Lug has had metal welded into the hook

I am just looking for input on 1. Who the experts here think may have made the stock/FE. If the rest of the gun from the photos looks 'right', even if refinished. Any opinions on the quality of the work and suggestions otherwise. Thanks in advance for an assistance from all of you out there who have experience on these Parkers.

Scott Hanes
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 03-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Four More photos SBT 223403
Unread 03-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

More photos SBT 223403
Unread 03-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Final photos SBT 223403
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

Looks like a Remington repair code stamp but I don't believe any of those modifications were done by Remington. Only other thing I can add is, I wouldn't just save her for a nostalgia shoot. The only guns I shoot in ATA events are my Parkers. My GHE for doubles and my SBT's (3) for singles and handicap. They always get a lot of attention. Shot a 97 x 100 in singles yesterday for a win in the A class, all thanks to my SB.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

The gun WAS originally a straight grip. I knew this first because your trigger guard is shorter than it should be for a pistol grip which initially told me it was likely shortened and bent for a pistol grip. And the serial number is not in the proper location. It is scrunched in there in front of the screw. Originally the number would have been behind the screw on both a pistol grip and a straight grip guard. And, the screw is father back from the bow on a legit pistol grip guard then that.
AND, the book lists your serial number as a straight grip when I checked it to confirm my initial thoughts.

The style of the forend draw bolt has been modified by whomever stocked it. Not sure why, there would have been no need to do so unless they just did not feel like drilling the long hole in the proper location required to use it as it was.

The case colors are very nice on the gun. They do not appear to be Delgrego cyanide colors as you suggest. They are nicer looking than that.

It is an attractive gun and if you shoot it well, even better.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the comments, Brian. Have you ever seen a forend iron configuration like this one has? Does the stock work look familiar enough to guess who the maker was?

Any guess who did the case coloring? I can't imagine that it is original unless the past owner(s) took very good care of it. The blueing is excellent except for a thin patch on the left side of the chamber area. Also can't imagine that is original.

The grip is quite thin [I am used to a palm swell on my K-80] and difficult to control. I am thinking about adding a rubber wrap made for tennis racquets to take up some space. My dilemma is I don't want to get the adhesive on the wood and perhaps ruin the finish. Any suggestions? I thought I might put a few layers of plastic wrap on first before the sticky stuff goes on.

I really appreciate your expertise and comments on what you saw. Thanks again!

Scott Hanes
Unread 03-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

The method that the forend iron drawbolt is attached is similar to how some other makers did it, Winchester on the model 21 is one example. It just isn't how Parker did it.

It is anyones best guess as to who may have stocked the gun. Maybe it is marked under the pad or something? But likely not. I am by no way up on the trap shooting circles and the stock makers that frequent those groups. But unless the checkering pattern is super specific to a certain stocker/checkerer, I doubt they would have any idea either.
I dont have any specific ideas on the case coloring. It is overall very well done.
Ultimately none of that really matters too much. It is more what the gun is, what is correct and what isnt and that speaks for itself. If it goes bang and you break targets, then even better.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

John, have you shot at the Grand before? Or at North Carolina state shoot? I saw a gentleman a few years back that shot a Parker SC at some shoot. Where do you shoot ATA now? Maybe we will meet up some time. I shoot here in TX, likely KS this year, the SW Grand in San Antonio and at Sparta.

Scott Hanes
Unread 03-11-2020, 06:11 AM   #10
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

Scott, I've been shooting ATA here in Georgia and a little in Alabama. Hope to shoot in North Carolina this year as well. I attended the Grand for the first time last year and planning on returning this year. Perhaps we will cross paths in Sparta.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post: