Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker Gun Letter Mystery
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker Gun Letter Mystery

I just got the letter for my GH 16 28''Dam #1Frame pistol grp stock. The letter states that my Parker was sent to the Boston Show in Boston Mass on Mar 8 1898 and returned on Apr 1 1898. After it was returned it filled an order for Janney Semple Hill & Co. of Minneapolis MN on Aug 14 1899. The only other information included was the requested weight of 6.5 to 6.75 lbs. There is nothing in the letter about chokes or patterning.

I'm wondering if anyone has dug up any information on this mysterious "Boston Show" of 1898? Furthermore, anyone familiar with Janney Semple Hill & Co.? Digging into this history of this beautiful gun is very exciting.

I was recently lucky enough to find my gun at auction. The nice little 16 bore has been used but is in surprisingly good used condition. I'm so proud of it I want to take it to work with me! I would love to share some pics but i'm currently sans camera. I'll try to get some posted asap.

Obviously i'm new on the post and am not typically that vocal on forums, but i'm so excited to learn about my gun that i'm putting myself out there a bit. Thanks in advance for any interest or advice.

Best,
Dean F
Dean Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Could it be the Boston Sportsman's show on March 14, 1898?

http://books.google.com/books?id=Rm0...201898&f=false
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

The dates make it almost certain. Fantastic find! Thanks so much. I'm going to see what else I can dig up on the show.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Look in TPS. It list the guns bu SN that were at the show.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Order books rarely have patterning information. That data would be on the hang tag, which would provide weight, pattern load and pellet count.

Here is a typical one for a 16ga (what's left after mice)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vtag 002.jpg (499.9 KB, 4 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,893 Times in 4,768 Posts

Hard to give information without a serial number. Could your gun be serial number 85813, 85954, 85966, or 87576? These are some of the 16 gauges displayed at the Boston Sportsman's Show, March 14 to March 26, 1898. There are hundreds, if not thousands of entries on google about the hardware company. Lucky you, a gun with great provenance.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,028 Posts

Notations in the Order Books regarding patterns are usually mostly verbal (e.g., "RB pattern 'open'; LB 'close' or 'extra tight." One such very memorable notation for a late 8 ga. steel barreled gun read, "Both barrels extra close for buckshot for deer, bear and wolves." The Stock Books contain detailed patterning information for each gun, including the size and weight of shot, in some cases the brand of the shot and powder used(e.g., Tatham, E.C.), and the number of pellets in a circle of given diameter at a given range (not always 30" @ 40 yds.). The number of pellets striking within the circle is noted as a fraction of the original total shot charge, such as 186/230. Percentage patterns are thus quickly and easily converted from these figures, and of course were always specified with crucial interest by trap and pigeon shooters when ordering a gun.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry, thought I had included it within my initial blatherings... It is Serial # 85966.

I looked up and found several ads for the show last night. The merchant that the gun was sold to, Janney Simple Hill & Co. was pretty large and a database with ledgers, accounts, and invoices exists. I may be able to uncover who the first owner was, or at least who purchased it.

Here are some photos...

Gotta love that figure on the stock. The wood has some love marks and normal use, but is still very much intact. The bbls shine like new but the left bbl has a dent which I may or may not have worked on. It fires my RST loads just fine. I know its a big bone on this forum, but i'd kinda like to have the bbls redone. This gun could be a real looker if the barrels were polished and the dam figure on full display. The checkering is fairly flat especially on the forend. The wood is outstanding though and if I'm going to the trouble, I would like to have a new finish. On the other hand, she's a damn fine beauty just the way she is. I'll try to post some pics with better light.
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,893 Times in 4,768 Posts

Yup, #85966 was one of the four grade 2 16 gauges at the Boston Sportsman's Show in 1898 according to The Parker Story.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

It looks like it remained in Parkers stock for more than a year after it was returned from Boston. The records might also indicate that it was shown at some of the smaller regional shows during that time. I say this because a have couple of guns that were displayed at all the of major shows during the 1890s and were also shown at these smaller expos. Often they were sent to local dealers and shown in the dealers display. You should look into that.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post: