Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Steve's new GH
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Steve's new GH

I just picked up my new GH. I can't seem to be able to post more than one picture at a time and they come out very big. Her number is 83930. Made in 1895. This first pic isn't very good, others will be better.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

The gun is totally untouched. All of the checkering, expecially that one the splinter Forearm is worn nearly smooth. The gun was used. Locks up like a safe. Look at the birds. Are they flying? I think they are on the ground, dead. Ducks. Quail on the ballance of the piece, and on the other side.

Unread 10-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Damascus colors are better on the underside and underneath the forearm, but it is very clear and only a spot or two of rust which is shallow. I have not tried to remove any, not wanted to shine up the finish. Stock is not cracked and original too. Butt plate is like new, a little discolored.
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bore looks fine. A little light rust maybe, can't tell. It has not been honed. It was shot a lot and I suspect with modern shells. It is broken however. It does not cock when dropped open. Looks like a GH. No ejectors which I prefer. I just pluck out the shells and put them in my pocket.
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Barrels look pretty thick. I don't know what the chokes are. I'm thinking about having it bored mod and skeet, which will work for clays I think. Both muzzles look the same size. It's probably Full and Full. Don't know. A dime sets the same in both and doesn't fall in. All of my other old doubles are Full and Mod and I shoot modern shells in them. Here I'll reload my own, but first I'll buy some Polywad or RST's. Nor do I know the length of the chamber. If it is short I'll just shoot 2.5 inch shells in it. Unique. That's neat.

Looks like the bead has been pounded down flatish. I may replace it with ivory. First I have to have the cocking mechanism repaired. Has a little too much drop maybe, but the LOP seems perfect. Haven't measured it yet. I just brought it home.

Paid $999 for the old Parker. I think I did okay. No chips or serious dings, nice bore a little case color, nice damascus colors, looks like plenty of steel in the barrels. These Parker shotguns are very neat, aren't they!
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

You did great. Nice gun. In regards to the chokes, leave them as they are and shoot it before you take that step. Then decide. There are some great published 7/8 oz. Low pressure loads. Easy on the gun and you
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

I think you did very well Steve. Nice honest wear and character. Love the figure of the wood. GH's seem to always have a nice piece of wood on them. You can clean up the exterior of the Damascus barrels with some Kroil Oil and 0000 steel wool. Check the archives in the Damascus section to how to do this. After Kroil and steel wool, a coat of Forby's Tung oil help bring out the black and white pattern and protect it as well.

I also have to chime in regards opening chokes. Ed gave you some good advice. You mentioned you are going to reload anyway and by doing so you can load up some spreader loads to open up the patterns.

Congratulations.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Blake View Post
You did great. Nice gun. In regards to the chokes, leave them as they are and shoot it before you take that step. Then decide. There are some great published 7/8 oz. Low pressure loads. Easy on the gun and you
I'm going to have the chamber measured. You say "published 7/8 ounce loads". I assume you are alluding to loading my own. I guess, if it is short that I'll load Cheddite hulls. If the chambers are short, I'll shoot short shells. Do standard shotshell manuals quote low psi loads?
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

Shoot that gun as it is and check your patterns....cutting the chokes open is a one way road and must be properly performed or the new patterns could be off point of aim or just not what you wanted....Spredders are great for 12 bore guns and will not change the guns P.O.A. And if you want to go out west and hunt wild roosters it will make a great gun for that too....(-: SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
Do standard shotshell manuals quote low psi loads?
You can check online from the powder manufacturer.

http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

My target load is: Remington STS hull; Remington 209 primer; Claybuster 1100 wad; 23 grains of IMR 7625; 1 oz of shot. 5100PSI 1150 fps velocity.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote