Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Great last evening of duck season
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Great last evening of duck season

After shooting my first round of winter league today (with a Beretta, sorry), I decided to close out duck season where I shot those birds in the other post and by the way, the bigger goose in that photo was banded as an adult in 2005 so jerky for sure. Anyway, it was warm for here and a strong breeze kicked up and ducks started moving. Made a nice double on mallards and when young Josey went for the livelier of the two it dove and swam under the ice. It popped up a good 200 yards away but it was worn out and we got it. Killed another two green heads one at a time, a fully feathered cock sprig and a mini goose, barely larger than the ducks. One greenhead was banded in 2007 in NW Territories, Canada. I have shot a lot of banded ducks and geese but most were banded in Colorado. That was unique for here. The 32" gun performed well and so did I only missing one duck (but not entirely). I could easily have shot one more duck for the limit and some large geese but the strap holds 6 and it was full so I used the last 20 minutes to pick up my stuff. I figured why be greedy, I was well pleased with what I had.
I should have photographed the Sangre de Cristos for you guys as they really lived up to their name tonight but left the camera in the truck. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a photo and post it.
-plc-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1258.JPG (359.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1269.JPG (330.1 KB, 22 views)
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

that was a great hunt...that sure is a nice kitchen you got there..kinds reminded me of my grandma s kitchen back in the early 1950 s..yep one fine stove there...and pretty ducks and geese too... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,167 Times in 3,263 Posts

great picture, I like the stove as well, reminds me of some of the old farm kitchens from when I was a kid.
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Is it me or does that second picture look like it came from a doll house it just looks out of scale . like it though
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Huffman For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Nice work! I'm envious on the bands, two in one day is a real treat.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice shooting Peter. Great photos too.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Nice work! I'm envious on the bands, two in one day is a real treat.

Destry
Destry,
The bands were one day apart. The big geese that were on my truck was from Saturday. The banded duck, mini goose, etc. was yesterday. But yeah, I felt pretty lucky to get a full dress sprig and a banded greenhead the same day. That sprig must have a six inch tail. Always been my favorite duck.
-plc-
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

I killed three banded geese in one day years ago and killed two banded mallard drakes in Quebec the last morning this past September. I can't complain really, I've gotten quite a bit of jewelry over the years. I wear them on my lanyard like every other hillbilly braggart that I know. To me they're like shooting a big buck or the equivalent, a real trophy, and I like to show them off.

What's your most oddball band and your oldest? My most oddball is a greenwing teal, my oldest was a goose. He'd been banded as an adult eleven years before I shot him, but only five miles away from where the deed was done. I've also got a pair of BASC bands that I killed on mallards in Ireland, that was quite day as well.

And you've got me beat on the mini goose even without the band. In all the goose hunting I've done, I even used to be a guide, I've never shot one of the lesser races. Giants and the standard size, that's it!
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
I killed three banded geese in one day years ago and killed two banded mallard drakes in Quebec the last morning this past September. I can't complain really, I've gotten quite a bit of jewelry over the years. I wear them on my lanyard like every other hillbilly braggart that I know. To me they're like shooting a big buck or the equivalent, a real trophy, and I like to show them off.

What's your most oddball band and your oldest? My most oddball is a greenwing teal, my oldest was a goose. He'd been banded as an adult eleven years before I shot him, but only five miles away from where the deed was done. I've also got a pair of BASC bands that I killed on mallards in Ireland, that was quite day as well.

And you've got me beat on the mini goose even without the band. In all the goose hunting I've done, I even used to be a guide, I've never shot one of the lesser races. Giants and the standard size, that's it!
Well the most I've gotten in one day was 3 as well on mallards, but they used to band them right here so the Canadian band is a trophy for me. Most of the geese were banded in COlordo as well. The oddest are two. On geese, I shot a banded giant and a full year later shot another one only one band number apart. Both banded same day in North Park about 300 miles from us. On ducks, oddest one was a female redhead also killed on my place. I forget where it was banded. I too, like a hillbilly, wear the duck bands on my dog whistle lanyard the goose bands on my goose call. I counted and I have 22 duck bands and 8 goose bands, not like the guys in Stutgart but ok for me. Onse when liveing in Fort Collins area I had a great goos pit and killed 4 sub species of Canadas in one day. I have a photo but it is not digital. They were a giant, western, interior or great basin, and a Richardson's, that being the midget goose. My photo has them all laid out like mama, papa, baby,etc. with my beloved and deadly 870 meatmaster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Clark For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
great picture, I like the stove as well, reminds me of some of the old farm kitchens from when I was a kid.
Well it is a farm kitchen and for you old appliance fans, here is another picture when the range had recently been cleaned. Something I need to do soon! Notice the cat exiting and the oven thermometer in the photo tells me it was about 350 degrees so pretty warm underneath.
Second photo is of our new fangled gas range we use during warmer times of the year. You may spot the 1934 toast master toaster in that photo as well.
We enjoy antiques but they must pull their own weight. Don't start me on cast iron.
-plc-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.JPG (285.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1277.JPG (213.5 KB, 8 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Clark For Your Post: