Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Trojan 20ga Restoration
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Jason Sherwood
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Trojan 20ga Restoration

I am 32 and just bought my first Parker. It is a 1924 Parker Trojan 20GA and it is in decent shape. I was wondering if I should have it restored or keep it original. I didn't know if it will increase or decrease in value by restoring it. If I do restore it I am not sure where to start or who to contact. I have wanted a Parker for so long i just want to make sure i don't make any mistakes with it that would ruin it. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason
Jason Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Congrats Jason. There is a discussion on restoring a Parker. Have you read this thread?

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11301

If it is original and in decent shape as you describe, I would leave as is.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jason, welcome to the forum. You will find more information here than you can shake the proverbial stick at. Before you do anything to the gun I would suggest you submit photos of the highest quality possible of the receiver, sides, top and bottom, butt stock, both sides, the barrel markings and the markings on the barrel flats as well as the water table. We would also like to see the top of the barrels at the front sight. There are many parkers that have scratches, dings, nicks in both wood and steel. For most of us these are not a reason to have the gun refinished. They are evidence of honest wear over the years. The are signs of character attained over many years of use. What is up with your gun that you want to restore it? Is the stock broken, barrels filled with dents, bluing completely worn off, case coloring gone?

Having something repaired that is broken is one thing. Having the gun restored is something else to think about. If you do decide to have it restored there are a good many gunsmiths who will do a superior job. Some but not all are Brad Batchelder, DelGrego, Doug Turnbull, Keith Kearcher, David Yale, Kirk Merrington and others that other forum members will advise. These men are true craftsmen and will not do you wrong but their work is expensive. You could conceivably pay $2000.00 only to end up with a gun worth $1500.00. A lot depends on the grade of gun as well. If you have a D grade or above it may be worth the price. Maybe not. On your Trojan it may not be worth it at all.

My suggestion is to submit photos and get some great advice from the forum members who really do know their stuff. If you are not a member I would suggest becoming one and then order a factory letter for your gun. It is interesting to find out who and where your gun came from. Also the letter will tell you if your gun is as it left the factory or possibly the barrels have been shortened, recoil pad added, stock shortened etc.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Yes,
You must submit good photos of your gun before anyone can advise. You must look at the following areas. How is the bluing and bore condition? Are there any remaining factory case colors on the action and is there any pitting or damage to the action? How are the screws? How is the wood finish and checkering?

The othe major factor is what you have into the gun. You may not wish to share, but you must weight that vs. cost of restoration work as well as end value.
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Jason Sherwood
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry it has taken me so long. I had a really hard time trying to post pictures but I think I got it now. Please let me know if you can't view it. I am new to this and still trying to figure it out. I appreciate all of the replies I have received and welcome any additional advise or comments.

In response to the question of the cost I paid vs the restoration fees. The gun was $1250.

Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think I over paid. I am really looking to learn all I can and appreciate honest feedback.

Thank you,
Jason
Attached Files
File Type: zip Parker Gun.zip (93.3 KB, 68 views)
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

The pictures in the zip file were small but what I could make out, the gun has nice honest wear. It looks like some wood got chipped out at the toe of the stock but I would leave it. Shoot it and shoot if often. Enjoy.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

It looks like a fine gun for the money with some decent original finish remaining. I would say replace the buttplate and fix the broken toe and not much else. If checkering is worn, maybe recut it. But the wood finish looks good, barrel bluing looks acceptable and there is some original colors remaining on the action. Hard to tell a ton from the photos, they came up kind of small on my computor. But that is what I can say from what I see.

I dont think you did bad for the money.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

I agree with Brian. Nice Trojan at a decent price.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Jason Sherwood
Forum Associate

Member Info

[QUOTE=Jason Sherwood;115372]I am 32 and just bought my first Parker. It is a 1924 Parker Trojan 20GA and it is in decent shape. I was wondering if I should have it restored or keep it original. I didn't know if it will increase or decrease in value by restoring it. If I do restore it I am not sure where to start or who to contact. I have wanted a Parker for so long i just want to make sure i don't make any mistakes with it that would ruin it. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason[/QUOTE
Trojan 20ga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (518.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (533.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (503.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (522.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (506.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (517.1 KB, 4 views)
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

Looks to have some crud or rust frosting on the frame, trigger guard bow, and a bit on the barrel breech ends too. Frontier pads with some Hoppe's No. 9 will clean it up nicely and won't harm the blueing or remaining case color. Remove the stock first or the clean-up process may harm the wood finish.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote