Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

..6 table saws,2 lathes ,over 200 carving tools,60 woodworking planes,8,000 feet of walnut lumber,1200 gun catalogs and 2000 hardback books and bermuda shorts I've had since I was 16.I'm not married anymore either.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
My worst problem is shotgun shell hoarding, I have no idea how many rounds I've got but it's scary. Just bought a box of 1 1/2 #2 and #4 Remingtons at an estate sale the other day because hell they were only $5 a box! I'll add them to the two cases I have of the exact same loads.....

Destry
Well, Destry (rides again?) you have a couple of things working for you. If your girlfriend buys something at a yard sale then you have an excuse to buy a few more boxes of shotgun shells. Neat, eh?

Concerning collecting shotshells.....can you bring yourself to shoot them? That might be problematic.

I'm afraid of the anti-gun backlash from the Colorado shooting. They are trying to limit the # of shells we can have. As all shotshell users know, we buy them by the case. We have to because we shoot them by the case.

I have yet to buy some through the mail, but I want to.

Say, I've got a few boxes of old shotgun shells that go back to the 60's. I'll list some if you are interested, before I shoot them up that is. I've shot almost all of the old Win AA's at skeet/trap. The rest are 2's and 4's, etc. A bunch of 3" 20's that I'll never shoot. Some are quite old.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #33
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

list them steve a lot of us are interested in old shells....espicall shotgun...some of my shells that are old i shoot on game espically squirls but most are just for looking at... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Steve,

I've got what I call a "collection" and that's out on display. Then I've got what I call "the horde" and that's stashed in the closet and under the bed. Anything in "the horde" is up for grabs as far as shooting. There's everything in there from 2 7/8 paper 10 gauge to .410 buckshot loads for The Judge. I shoot paper shells at squirrels, preserve pheasants, and stuff like that. I ain't afraid to put a paper shell to the use it was intended. I did sell some recently though, a full factory 20 box case of Redhead skeet loads in 12 gauge. I bought them for $2 a box at an estate sale and just didn't have the heart to break them up.

Regards,
Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Steve,

I've got what I call a "collection" and that's out on display. Then I've got what I call "the horde" and that's stashed in the closet and under the bed. Anything in "the horde" is up for grabs as far as shooting. There's everything in there from 2 7/8 paper 10 gauge to .410 buckshot loads for The Judge. I shoot paper shells at squirrels, preserve pheasants, and stuff like that. I ain't afraid to put a paper shell to the use it was intended. I did sell some recently though, a full factory 20 box case of Redhead skeet loads in 12 gauge. I bought them for $2 a box at an estate sale and just didn't have the heart to break them up.

Destry
When plastic shells came out I thought that we'd gone to hell in a handbasket. They told us that the new plastic wads shot better, but I couldn't figure out why. Plastic shells didn't smell right. I missed watching those wads fly out there. I'm trying to get into loading 2.5 inch brass 12 gauge shotshells. I haven't loaded a shot shell in decades. I want to shoot them in my GH, sounds like fun to me. Anyway I'm stuck with plastic, just like the rest of us.
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #36
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,167 Times in 3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
Anyway I'm stuck with plastic, just like the rest of us.
if you are not loading now, RST make paper hull shells , fiber wads and even a roll crimp version.
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #37
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

federal still sells paper hulls....them old paper hulls do smell good.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #38
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
federal still sells paper hulls....them old paper hulls do smell good.... charlie
Thanks, I'm going to try to find them. Does it cost a bundle to have shotshells delivered via the mail...or UPS or whoever does that? I have hesitated to buy through the mail since I can buy shells in the local sporting goods store, but RST have to be delivered. I've never seen them for sale in stores.

I'm going to research those Federal paper shells.
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #39
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
if you are not loading now, RST make paper hull shells , fiber wads and even a roll crimp version.
Currently I'm loading for rifle/pistol rounds and with my new Rock Chucker it is going very well and I am having fun. I reloaded with an RCBS Jr. press for half a century! I neck resized which meant that often times I could only shoot a round in the gun I had first shot it in, since they resized to the chamber of that rifle. Especially vexing when shooting in autos. With the Rock Chucker it's a piece of cake to full case length resize. Why didn't I spring for one when I was in my 20's?

Shotshell reloading comes later.
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #40
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Thanx