Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Tool steel for hammer screw
Unread 05-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Default Tool steel for hammer screw

I am having continuing problems with a hammer screw for an O frame 16 hammergun. I have had two replacements break,head breaks off, in the past 18 mo. I am considering having the hole tapped to a larger diameter and a new screw made. I want to use a good steel but do not know what to use. Anyone knowledgeable on steels ?
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

if the tool steel is breaking from shooting the gun then the problem is that the steel being used is to hard..you need steel with less harding in it...to brittle or hard steel breaks very eaisly...you nned a softer screw in my opinion....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie
That screw is really small. # 4, I think, and with very little presure the head just rings off. I have some offset hammer firing pins Dave Purnell made out of a very tough steel, Maybe something like that.
David
Ooops- Charlie- perhaps you mean firing pins here
Unread 05-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Ooops- Charlie- perhaps you mean firing pins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
if the tool steel is breaking from shooting the gun then the problem is that the steel being used is to hard..you need steel with less harding in it...to brittle or hard steel breaks very eaisly...you nned a softer screw in my opinion....charlie
-- I like O2 drill rod for firing pins, but most machine screws found in older "double hardened and fitted" side-by-sides (M21 Winchester the exception) are machine from 1018 low carbon no alloyed mild steel- later machine screws produced on Acme and other makes of automatic screw machines might use 12L14 (greater machinability)-- If you want to shoot this hammer gun, and have it function, I would suggest drilling out and re-tapping the threaded hole and using a new configured machine screw with matching threads of course-I also have some firing pins I turned on my South Bend lathe from O2- need to see the entire broken one first before I can possibly match it-- Charlie- I hope you "Hit for the cycle" on your Tom Turkeys- MI does not yet have a minimum beard length for the spring season- the Fall season here- you can take either a Tom or a Hen-I like the chests marinated in Jack Daniels and grilled over hardwood with JD barbeque sauce- that way, if you overcook the bird, you can always drink the gravy- straight up on on the rocks- your call!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dave, I would use A2 or D2 air hardening tool steel. After hardening I would draw the screw down to Rc 28-32 You want the screw to be tough but not brittle. I would also check the fit of the hammer to the spindle it should fit fairly snug so that the screw is doing minimal work. Something is side loading that screw. As you know those screws are not that strong so any side load will just pop the heads off.
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dave
Thanks, I used to do some blacksmithing and made tools with both D2 & D3. Really tough steel. Will get some D2 rod.
David
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I've had good luck turning things on a lathe from grade 8 Cat bolts. They are extremely tough. Caterpillar pad bolts are the toughest steel I've encountered. Don't know what kind of steel they are exactly but they are tough... I've never understood why the shank on a hammer screw was made so small. There's enough metal in the shaft for a larger screw.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Ill give it a "SWAG" Richard
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Ill give it a "SWAG" Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I've had good luck turning things on a lathe from grade 8 Cat bolts. They are extremely tough. Caterpillar pad bolts are the toughest steel I've encountered. Don't know what kind of steel they are exactly but they are tough... I've never understood why the shank on a hammer screw was made so small. There's enough metal in the shaft for a larger screw.
--I've had similar experiences with Grade 8 bolts on John Deere and other quality made American products- my guess- as welding involves knowledge of parent and filler metals and some basics in metallurgy- for both ferrous and non-ferrous- Cobalt is the additional alloying element-to medium range carbon and also nickel, chromium and molybdenum most likely will be present- have you ever spark tested one of these bolts?
Unread 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm going to move this into the proper forum in a few, OK?

Best to all,

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
That's why you be our "Head Fred" John
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default That's why you be our "Head Fred" John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dunkle View Post
Hi guys,

I'm going to move this into the proper forum in a few, OK?

Best to all

John
= What new area- lots to learn as always, even Met 101!