Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #21
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,916 Times in 2,690 Posts

Learning to shoot a .410 is easy. Just start shooting it and shoot like it's any other double you use. You'll be breaking targets in no time. Just keep at it and don't overthink it.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 10-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #22
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

My problem is that all of my target shooting, and most of my hunting is done with full size 12 gauge guns, with the longer barrels being my preference.
My one .410 double is a diminutive little thing with 26" barrels. It definitely moves differently.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #23
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,179 Times in 633 Posts

I enjoy shooting a 410 as well. The Parker 410 VH I have is a 26", but it shoot's like a dream. I do think tight chokes make a 410 shine. Would love to find a quality 410 sxs with 30" or 32" barrels.

I have a Citori 410 with 28" barrels that I have used to train my dogs and have fun with sporting clays. I don't shoot it much any more. It is a wonderful shooting gun and there aren't many targets I shoot with a 12 that I can't get with that 410. It does have screw chokes and the best thing I did was get a set of Briley chokes which are so much better than the factory chokes.

I think you just have to start shooting a 410 more like Mike said. I don't think it is always barrel length either. I have a 24" 28ga VH and a 24" 16ga Greener that do very well all around the sporting clays course and in the field.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2023, 04:39 PM   #24
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
My problem is that all of my target shooting, and most of my hunting is done with full size 12 gauge guns, with the longer barrels being my preference.
My one .410 double is a diminutive little thing with 26" barrels. It definitely moves differently.
That is why I use a different shooting style with the .410. I just have to because of the difference in weight, and time it takes to establish lead with a much lighter gun. It's still tough. If I shot them more it would get better, but the hardest thing about shooting game birds with a .410, when you also shoot them with bigger bores, is making yourself limit the range that you will attempt take a bird to 30 yards. I kill them at 35 with the .410, but I have to tell myself 30 is the max. Otherwise I will be trying at yardages where the pattern density is just too thin. If you absolutely center a dove with a good 3/4 oz. load at 40 yds., and a tight choke, I've no doubt it will go down. However, the devil's in the details, and I cannot be assured of centering the dove in my pattern everytime, thus the 30 yard rule.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2023, 01:19 PM   #25
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

I love shooting my 410 Iver Johnson Skeeter. They only made 500 of these. It's pure joy to shoot skeet with. Have shot pheasants with it over my setter. Great little gun and gauge
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2023, 10:59 AM   #26
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

My .410 is a lowly Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special, which I have posted here before.
I restocked it myself with some Cecil Fredi wood, and it fits me well. It has been in my opening day dove rotation for quite a few years, and has given me good service over the years.
That said, it is a tiny little feather-weight, compared to my 12s, and requires a different touch.
I think my preseason warm-up should include exercises of pointing a cue stick at passing doves, to get ready for the little gun.
I am only partly kidding here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-10-2023, 09:08 PM   #27
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
My .410 is a lowly Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special, which I have posted here before.
I restocked it myself with some Cecil Fredi wood, and it fits me well. It has been in my opening day dove rotation for quite a few years, and has given me good service over the years.
That said, it is a tiny little feather-weight, compared to my 12s, and requires a different touch.
I think my preseason warm-up should include exercises of pointing a cue stick at passing doves, to get ready for the little gun.
I am only partly kidding here.
I understand what you mean EXACTLY, Todd.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2023, 08:09 AM   #28
Donald McQuade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Until recently I have had very poor results on clays with a 410. I have tried several over/unders and side x sides, including my buddies beautiful, scaled frame RBL, and just can't seem to break even easy targets with any consistency. Then, early this year I acquired a Win Model 42. The Shoot ability of that little gun is amazing. I was breaking targets at distances I had no business shooting, and consistently posting decent scores on the SC range. I guess that little Winchester will keep me buying 410 shells while I continue my search for a 410 double that I won't embarrass myself with on the clays range.
Donald McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Donald McQuade For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #29
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Years ago at a SC shoot in Mesquite NV the HOA win was by an old man who rode a bicycle between stations, and turned in a 90 x 100 with a M 42 Winchester .410, beating all the young men with their 12s.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2023, 08:27 PM   #30
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Hooray for the old guys who know their stuff.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: