Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 10-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The NAVHDA Green Book is small, light, soft cover, and will tell you everything you need to know. If you ever get involved with NAVHDA people, you will know what they are doing.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
Mark Colangelo
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes. George Hickox. Georgehickox.com

He raises and trains Englis Pointer, setters, and Labs. He has videos for pointers and flushers.

I used his DVD's and bought two labs from him.

Mark C
Mark Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Colangelo For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

I bought my first bird dog puppy an orange and white Brittney in 1981. A great time to train a bird dog since our bird numbers were at an all time high.
I knew little about gun dog training but was eager to learn. I purchased Best way to train your gun dog. The Delamar Smith method written by Bill Tarrant. I recommend that you take a look at this book as It will assist you in bringing out the best in your dog and also teach you a lot about what you need to do and understand about dogs.
You should really consider what breed works for the type of hunting you will be doing, and just as importantly the breed of dog that best works for you and your family's situation.
Do some research and buy from a proven breeder. I like buying dogs from guys that hunt wild birds and trial their dogs with a history of having great dogs. The most expensive dog can be one that was free. That might mean waiting until a pup becomes avalible from the breeder, and even traveling out of state to get what you want.
Dogs like race horses need to have it in their genes. Thats not to say that a guy doesnt get lucky once in awhile and just happen into a great dog, but for most of us that are not proffesionals we may only have a dozen gun dogs in our life time.
After the initial purchase of a dog, they all cost about the same to feed and care for so I like to stack the odds in my favor.
Im from the school of thought you cant start them too young. They can start traveling on the truck when they are 8 or 9weeks old. Thats all part of training. Also nothing takes the place of birds. Find a good supply of birds, you will need it to train and finish you dog. Realize every dog and trainer is a little differnet.
What I do does not mean its the best way, just something that works for me.
2019 is not that far away, start reseaching for that guy that has great dogs. Do your home work now. When Planned breedings of proven dogs are done there is usually people with numbers in line waiting to take their pick from the litter.
Have fun and good luck finding and training your next Gun dog.
Phillip Carr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2017, 10:31 PM   #14
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

I agree with Bill on using the NAVHDA Green Book and joining one of their chapters, I did that when I trained both my GSP and GWP. I'd also recommend Joan Bailey's book "How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves" which covers everything from puppyhood to 12 to 15 months when the Green Book fits in. Again I fully recommend joining a NAVHDA chapter, by participating in their training days you'll be able to help and learn from others and receive help in return and generally the use of chapter resources such as available training birds, bird launchers, training sites, etc.
Good Luck.
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #15
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

I would think the NAVHDA versatile breed training will have a lot that is unrelated to setters

To sum up the horse comments above. "Horses for courses"
Unread 10-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #16
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
I would think the NAVHDA versatile breed training will have a lot that is unrelated to setters

To sum up the horse comments above. "Horses for courses"
Yes and, no.

NAVHDA is great for someone new to gundogs and the exposure coupled with socialization is wonderful for a young dog. I've played some of the dog games but, it's not for me (at least on the east coast)

Cannot comment on western field trialing, unfortunately, but in comparison to AKC hunt test's..NAVHDA is by far, the better choice. JMO
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #17
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

The only thing that I see with the NAVHDA system that is unrelated to classic setters would be the duck search / blind retrieve aspect of training. That's a personal decision, I hunt upland and waterfowl so I would train my dog for waterwork regardless of the breed.
The pointing dog aspect of the training would be the same whether the dog is a GSP, Brittany, Setter or Pointer. They'll need to range and search, locate birds, point and hold and remain steady through wing and shot if that's the level of trained dog you want. The additional aspect of tracking a wounded bird is also essential in recovering game. The OP asked about books for dog training and I think he has enough time to pick a couple of the ones listed to read through and see which he feels is best for him. I checked NAVHDA's website and see that there are three chapters located in Michigan so the OP can contact the closest and see for himself whether their system will work for him. I just think NAVHDA is the most user friendly with their local chapter setup for all the resources I listed in my earlier post.
By the way although I'm a Life Member of NAVHDA, I currently own flushing retrievers because my main quarry are pheasants and waterfowl, and that's what works for me.
Take care and good luck.
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #18
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have followed the method of "learning what NOT to do", sadly, from experience

Very natural, fire-breathing "on 11" hard charging, point slamming bird-dogs in big country is what does it for me.

That said..that puts me in the GSP / English Pointer world. Setters are stunning (and beautiful) bird-dogs but I just haven't much experience with them. (that's not to say Setters take a back-seat to any other breed- just limited personal experience)

Being a pointer guy..that means fetch is just an annoyance to a pointy dog who has the instinct to get on the bird (just to make sure it's done for) and then, find another. I've force fetched two dogs..one of them old school with a line to their toe..and my current dog (Kansas) who I force fetched following Evan Grahams method, "Smartworks", albeit somewhat modified to account for the dogs personality. It worked wonderfully and I couldn't recommend it enough. I would recommend not moving too fast and, forget (at least for the time being) what you want to see..let the dog show you what he or she is made of and then, build from there. Obedience (biddability) first and, always. Good luck.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #19
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Training Your Retriever by James Lamb Free, the old, definitive classic which I started with my Labs 50 years ago with great results.

I believe the old system makes a different and better experience for owners and their dogs than the newer, faster, field trials training with e-collars.

Whatever works, of course. One size doesn't fit all.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2017, 05:00 PM   #20
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

LIVE BIRDS LIVE BIRDS LIVE BIRDS LIVE BIRDS LIVE BIRDS LIVE BIRDS LIVE BIRDS!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: