Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Good Reads
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Good Reads

I'm hoping fellow PGCA members will post their latest hunting, fishing, gun or dog book they liked.
I just finished a book a PGCA member recommended, Jenny Willow by Mike Gaddis, really liked it.

I like to share a couple of my old favorites, Home From The Hill by Fred Webb its about a New Brunswick guide in the 50's

The One Eyed Poacher and the Maine Warden by Edmund Were Smith, Funny book lots of Maine humor.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

I would be reading Bare November Days but . . .

. . . I seem to have misplaced it
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I have a collection of John Taintor Foote books and while his writing is a bit effusive I do enjoy the easy reading of his books. My favorites are "Dumbell of Brookfield", "Jing" and "Pocono Shot" with "Pocono Shot" topping my list. They are all about bird dogs and were written in the teens or twenties so you have to kinda put yourself in that "twenties" frame of mind. They are not so much about hunting as they are about the people and their associations with these dogs.
"Pot Luck"
Unread 10-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "Pot Luck"

My gunning library leans heavily towards the Southern based writers-although where I live quail and dove are not legal-85% of my gunning for game birds involves waterfowl, so Roland Clark's "Pot Luck" and "Gunner's Dawn" are constant favorites. I alsotreasure my copy of Martin Bovey's "The Saga Of The Waterfowl" and Edgar M. Queeny's "Prairie Wings".

My friend from the Palmetto State George Lander recently sent me a copy of "Sunrise On The Santee", and I am slowly working my way through in the same manner one might enjoy a seven course meal. A great read, and my thanks to a true Southern Gent'man for this!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, got my copy of Bare November Days today, funny I ran into this guy who had a copy he was trying to sell.

Francis, I havn't read any of Roland's works I'll have to buy one.
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Would you like to borrow my copy of R. Clark's book?
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Would you like to borrow my copy of R. Clark's book?

[QUOTE=E Robert Fabian;5268]Dean, got my copy of Bare November Days today, funny I ran into this guy who had a copy he was trying to sell.

Francis, I havn't read any of Roland's works I'll have to buy one. Bob, advise if you'd care to borrow my copy first prior to purchasing- his stuff is scarce and pricey. And Dean, I will be at a good OP book shoppe soon, if I see a good reading copy of the "Bare Nov. Days" do you want me to pick it up for you, or have you found one on Abe's Books?? Gunnerman?? Judith Bowman (she's mainly into fly fishing I believe)--I admire your restraint here on the Forum, I find it sad indeed that someone "lifted" your prized book purchased at the recent Vintagers. You gave the situation the "benefit of the doubt" and left a window open for its NQA return- I am venturing a guess here, never having yet attended the Vintagers event, that the main focus on security concerned the shotguns- and perhaps no one question a person walking around with a book under his/her arm.. A sad reflection on our times indeed..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Francis, but that's not necessary. It'll turn up eventually, I believe. If not I'll just buy another 'new in wrapper' just like the one I bought.

Basically, security is everybody's responsibility at these events. After the place closes for the day there are plenty of security people. 'Trust' is one of the main themes at these events and I, for one, would rather it stay that way rather than have a bunch of people in vests or uniforms scrutinizing everybody - that would just leave a very bad taste and I would probably not attend again.
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Francis, I bought both of Roland's books that you mentioned this morning on Abe's books.
Bob
Unread 10-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I just finished Something of Value by Robert Ruark. Its a fictional account of the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya. If you like Africa this is a great read.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote