Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #41
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

The Parker crowd is a very tough crowd. It was/is common practice for Brits to sent their fine doubles back to the factory or to a smith to be serviced and freshened up as needed. Unless the barrels have been cut, chambers/cones lengthened, or the stock altered buyers are primarily concerned that the gun has been properly maintained and serviced than the condition being “original.”
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #42
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Very well said Garry. I agree with it all.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #43
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

I think often times when we see a Parker for sale that has been ‘restored’ or ‘refinished’ or whatever term might be used to describe that it isn’t in its original use-worn condition we wonder “why?”.... what flaw or defect is the recent work attempting to disguise or eliminate and if I buy this gun, what am I getting myself into? We don’t have proof houses and the law that insists a gun be re-proofed when such work is done to it. Therein, I think, lies the crux - the big difference between the way the Brits do it and the way we Americans do it.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #44
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
... It was/is common practice for Brits to sent their fine doubles back to the factory or to a smith to be serviced and freshened up as needed. Unless the barrels have been cut, chambers/cones lengthened, or the stock altered buyers are primarily concerned that the gun has been properly maintained and serviced than the condition being “original.”
True. However, the British laws of proof are primarily focused on the barrels of a gun and their safety for use. They are not concerned with stock condition or other aspects of the gun unless they impact the gun's safety and/or viability to be reproofed.

Different cultures have different concepts of "originality." And the debate is often interminable.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #45
Jimmerp
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have learned much here in the short time I have been a member. I too love the “deal” and the “find” of an interesting gun. My father bought and sold guns of all types and my childhood home was full of an ever changing inventory of long guns and pistols, from the most basic single 12g to british automatic revolvers. I could not help but catch the bug, and truly appreciate how the “bug” effects each of us in different ways.
This is a great forum which obviously welcomes anyone who shares in the love of shooting and days afield with a trusted gun in hand. There will be more of the bhe as she is given the maintenance and repair which was deferred during her recent past. Thank you for being such a welcoming group.
James Purdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Purdy For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #46
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've never been able to get past "who cares?" on this. It seems to be a thing we Americans obsess over. As has been mentioned here and often, the Brits regularly send back their guns for refreshing. This seems to be a good practice to ensure the gun functions well and looks great. Of course, we would all dream of finding that amazing double which has been sitting in a closet in cosmoline since leaving the factory, perfectly preserved, looking as it did in 1923. Those are exceedingly rare. And when you buy one, you also put it in storage so as not to decrease its value. No thanks. I hunt and shoot clays with everything I own. If it looks great and shoots great, original means nothing to me.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #47
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

If the Brits are so comfortable with sending their guns in for annual checkups, why are such a large percentage of Brit gun victims of thin barrel walls and "wall thickness below recommended minimums"? It seems like most Brit gunsmiths, when getting a gun in for annual service, immediately reach for the reamers.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: