Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Poplin Shirts?
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Default Poplin Shirts?

Back in the day Filson made a poplin ("Feather Cloth") shirt that was virtually indestructible. Nothin fancy in the design, just s good honest shirt. As has been the case with most of the Filson styles that I have liked over the years the Feather Cloth shift is no longer available. It has been replaced with a style with tabs for rolling up sleeves and epilets.

Does anyone know where one can find simple poplin shirts that don't have every bell and whistle thought to be needed?

Thanks,

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

My personal replacement for the poplin shirts are the Columbia fishing shirts with the high SPF rating. I don't handle the sun well at all and live in them during the summer. Typically, their original model from many years back was the very best in being long lasting and fitting well. I'm still wearing two old ones as field shirts that absolutely refuse to die and still keep the sun out as well as they did at least 10yrs ago.

They had a fire sale on what must have been last years model shirts at a surplus store here in Denver last summer. They had HUNDREDS of Columbia shirts of all sizes and colors that I guessed Cabelas dumped to make room for the new model shirts. The sizes were all over the board; in some styles a size Sm fit perfect, in others a size Med. Nutso. I sure stocked up for life.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,344 Times in 4,421 Posts

Contact Destry Hoffard and see if he has any. I hear you about clothes companies fixing things that were not broke and were, in fact, just fine like they were
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Really....you are talking about an entire industry that is founded in planned obsolescence and the need for constant change. You are also talking about an industry that, after hundreds of years, still has not adopted any standards regarding size*. So you might be asking a bit much.....

*Hence the never ending need to 'try it on'. I'm just thankful that when I buy a new set of tools I don't have to 'try on' a 9/16" wrench to see if it is the same 9/16" as the other ones.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greg conomos For Your Post:
Unread 07-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think LL Bean still makes there "Field" Shirt. It does have Epilets but they can be taken off. Mine are getting threadbare am looking to replace soon.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

A club member showed me a shirt that he bought from Cabela's. I liked it enough to almost look in the catalog. I also just looked at a Duluth Trading catalog that has a pair of shorts that I "need" to replace my Filson canvas shorts that they will not make for me.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

If you are after a cheap pair of shorts that you won't wear out anytime soon:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FUlqfgodhOEIkA
Unread 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Interestingly, Jay, there is a Filson Outlet Store (the only one in existence) about 20 minutes from our house here in Washington. As a long-time Filson fan, I always make a trip or two through there when I'm out here to see what I can't live without! Ha! I was in there the other day, and while sometimes their inventory is a little thin, they are currently well-stocked with sizes and varieties. I am certain that I saw a number of Feather Cloth shirts. They don't take phone or internet orders, but I'd be happy to stop there to look for you. I imagine you would take a Men's XL in Filson gear? Let me know if you'd like me to stop. Just call me on my cell, because there are a number of cool things available at good prices that you might be interested in. I picked up a new Shooting Shirt, and a new mesh strap vest for about $70 each, versus $130 or so, retail.

I fly back to Kentucky tomorrow, so today is my window to be your personal shopper. LOL! But I'll be back out here in a month for a family wedding and could look then, if we miss connections today.

Dave

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post:
Unread 07-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have a Filson canvas duffel bag I bought in 1993 and it still looks brand new. That's the good news.

The bad news is the reason it still looks brand new is I find it nearly unusable and haven't touched it in 22 years. It's stiff, unwieldy, and worst of all even now it has a smell that gets transferred to whatever you put in it.
Unread 07-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Preaching to the choir Fishtail. Have their classic vest, purchased 25-years ago, still stiff as a board (probably sell it this fall); two pair of single-tin pants that I no longer wear (also selling); a pair of double-tin oil finish pants (shrank 3' in the legs and too short now); a duffle bag (which I do use a lot); a field bag (every trip up north); and a couple of coats. Probably have 3-4 sets of chaps at various locations here and up north.

The safari cloth is tough as nails but cool and comfortable. Have a pair of the pants that are great for early season bird hunting (turn thorns easily and break sewing machine needles, but cool and comfortable). The feather-cloth/safari-cloth garments are very wearable and last a long time but they have discontinued most of those products.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote