Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Wikipedia
Unread 07-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Wikipedia

I posted a couple years ago that it was strange that there is no mention of the Parker gun on Wikipedia. Especially when today you can find a page on most subspecies of shrews, even.

There is a page for Parker Bros manufacturing but it only mentions games and other non-gun products. Ultimately the gun page would need to be linked to the main Parker Bros page...but it still should have its own page in my opinion.

I started a draft page for Parkers...as you all know there is a lot that can be said about our favorite gun.

I'm really not wanting to take ownership of this effort....I've got a limited amount of brain cells and most days it's all I can do to tie my own shoes.

If anyone wants to assist or take over or add to this, please feel free.

Below is the current draft that I typed in about 5 minutes from memory:

Parker Bros. shotguns were manufactured from approximately 1867 through 1942. During these years, approximately 242,000 guns were produced in various grades and and are widely considered the finest and most collectible American shotgun. Most Parkers were produced in Meriden Connecticut; the final 6 years of production were conducted in Ilion, NY following the purchase of the product by Remington. Ultimately, high production costs, the Great Depression, the onset of WWII, and the advent of the repeating shotgun lead to the demise of the Parker gun.

Configuration
All Parkers are break-open style actions and most were side-by-side double barreled designs, the remainder being single barrel guns intended for use in trap shooting.

For the first 20+ years of production, Parkers used an exposed hammer design, but by 1888 the first hammerless guns were offered for sale.

Gauges
Parkers were offered in 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 20, 28 and .410 gauges. There is an experimental example known to have been produced in 18 gauge

Grades
dollars grades
V through A-1 Special/ Invincible

Famous shooters
Parkers were often seen as the gun of choice by celebrities(Annie Oakley, Frank Butler, Clark Gable, )
as well as the top ranked competition shooters of the day ( )
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greg conomos For Your Post:
Unread 07-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

That's a very good start Greg.

Have you posted it to Wikipedia yet?

I just went there and typed in "parker bros. guns" and "parker bros" and only came up with Parker Brothers Games
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

I just went to Wikipedia again and this time typed in "Parker Brothers shotguns" and this is where it took me... to the Meriden page with scant little about Charles Parker and even less about Parker Bros. guns.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meriden,_Connecticut
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,537 Times in 4,621 Posts

The only mention I could pre loudly find on Parkers as a mention on the page about Meriden, CT itself.

Wikipedia is a user based site. So if you want a page on Parkers, create one and generate the content.
Unread 07-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
The only mention I could pre loudly find on Parkers as a mention on the page about Meriden, CT itself.

Wikipedia is a user based site. So if you want a page on Parkers, create one and generate the content.
Brian is correct, post your text to Wikipedia and then others will make changes. It will have a life of its own as things are added, changed or deleted over time.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I guess the way it works is you create a draft page, which I've done, and the you submit it for 'publishing' which I have not done yet. Once it's published, it can be revised as needed.
Unread 07-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I will add that when Wikipedia first came to be, it was easy and instant for anyone to edit a page. Then, they changed it to where it is more difficult to edit, though I am not sure to what extent.

In any case, I can publish it then if anyone wants to edit it or take over they can do so.