Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Caps....
Unread 07-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,164 Posts

Default Caps....

Anybody that's ever read one of my duck hunting posts has heard takes of my ancient Jones Style Cap. Well this past season "Hat" really started to show it's age and my fear for its continued use became strong.

I follow a FaceBook page called appropriately The Cap Department, which is a gathering place for some custom hat makers of amazing skill. They mostly focus on vintage style flat caps, newsboys, that kind of thing. I posed a question on there about the possibility of having a Jones made up. A young fella named Barry Simonds from Georgia messaged me saying he was interested in the project and wanted photos of originals to study.

I quickly dug up a few and in short order he shipped me a prototype. Some tweaks and changes, adjustments for size and so on were done. I also mailed down my precious original for him to look over. As nasty as it is, he must be a brave man just for handling it.

When he decided he had his pattern just right, I sent down the remains of my original childhood pair of Carhart overalls and some vintage flannel I'd dug up for a liner. Just a few days ago it arrived and I was stunned. We'd gone for an even more vintage cut than my old one, straight out of the 40s. You literally cannot tell this cap isn't that old, his work is incredible.

In the interim of pattern adjusting and prototype work he also made me up three other fantastic caps of various styles. Now this is all custom work so it ain't what you'd call cheap, but it's well worth it. These couple shots do not do it justice.

If anybody would like to get in touch with Barry about some custom work feel free to message me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0709151313.jpg (350.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 0709151313a.jpg (552.7 KB, 4 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Fully lined earflaps even!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0715152256a.jpg (440.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0715152256b.jpg (315.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0715152257.jpg (516.7 KB, 3 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

That is really cool. Well made too. I'd buy one of those. I've got a small Destry collection started lol
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 07-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

that is great- it is really nice to see craftsmanship still alive here

should we expect a new subsidiary of Destry Inc. "Destry's old Carhart and flannel" as a material supplier
Unread 07-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Barry was amazed that I had some of this oddball stuff. When I get a project in mind and I find "stuff" that would work for it, I save it. Sometimes it takes years to bring it to fruition. I'd had those Carharts on stash for 30 years, I'd had the flannel for probably 10....
Unread 07-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here's another one he worked up for me based on a vintage design. An 8 panel newsboy made from an old pair of herringbone mechanics coveralls with a blue bandana liner. I've been wearing this bad boy all summer, it's been my go to cap since I opened the shipping box. This was one of Barry's regular patterns, I just supplied the material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0716150934.jpg (286.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0716150934a.jpg (569.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0716150935.jpg (528.1 KB, 1 views)
Unread 07-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

One more, just because I love it too. This is one of his originals, I'm not sure he's even put a name on it yet. Leather strap back, made from a raw denim shop apron I sent down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0716150936.jpg (519.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0716150936a.jpg (500.8 KB, 2 views)
Unread 07-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Barry has lots of great fabrics, you don't have to supply all your own. It just made it more fun for me to use old vintage stuff I'd been holding on to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hey I had one of those.That was proper attire 55 years ago. Mine has been gone maybe 40 years. I must have hunted it to hard.If Walmart ever gets them in I will surely buy another one. They were great hats.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

I need to find the ones from the farm to go with my other LL Bean hunting gear
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote