Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 06-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Charlie,
It works like a pencil sharpener, the blade sticks in the dowel and you push the shell onto the end of the dowel. As you turn the shell, the blade will cut into the shell at an angle until the dowel bottoms in the shell and then the last turn will cut the shell around at that depth, giving you the shell at that preset length.

I believe the screw on the end is a fine adjustment. If the shell is to short after it is trimed, turn the screw out a bit to fine tune the length and then next shell should be correct length. When you drive the blade into the dowel it should be at a 15 degree angle so you can twist the shell and the blade will bite into the shell and spiral down to the desired spot.

I found this in another post... the picture helps.

Hull trimmer you can make, recommend over the one for sale, 10" of 3/4 wood dowel a exacto blade and a wood screw. Attached Thumbnails
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

calvin's pics 508.jpg Got my angle a little to great but it don't work to bad. Go kind of slow at the end and you won't get a bump. best ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

thanks fellas ive got it down pat now..i can and will make me one of these shell trimmers....next step order me some new hulls my old short tens are about wore out from reloading them....ive cut down a few with a sharp knife but they usally came up looking a little rough.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie,

I made my first one today outs some piece of wood limb and a screw drilled in the butt end. I made it to trim hulls down to 2"ers all the way up to 2 3/4"ers. TOOK A drill and drilled a hole where I wanted the blade to go in and I tell you it sure holds in there tight!! that blade ain't going anywhere.

Did get my coyote today!! couldn't believe how close up to the house the 2 of them came... 1 saw me soon as I cracked the back door open and the other didn't even glance at me. Took aim and nailed the 2nd one in the good spot. he looked like he wanted to jump but the steel kept his feet on the ground. he did manage to kind of scamper another 30 yard or so and he layed down. I did try after one last week and he stayed outa range 2times..... BOYS I GOT HIM EXACTLY 1 WEEK AFTER HE ELUDED ME!!!
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

KEITH ive not made my trimmer yet but will in the next few days...glad you got that coyote what did you dispatch him with shotgun or rifle...what was the load and gun used... ive trapped and shot a few old coyotes in my past too.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yeah, Charlie got one out Kansas way with a phez load "lights out" ch
Unread 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Got one here with the .17 HMR at about 80 yards; went down instantly.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Good shot Fred thats the necked down 22 magnum correct? ch Hope ol Sam lookin at ya takes after Ringo Hes got a patch around his tail as well. If nothing else hes a good lookin hound and a heck of a buddy if he hunts just a bonus.calvin's pics 343.jpg
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
KEITH ive not made my trimmer yet but will in the next few days...glad you got that coyote what did you dispatch him with shotgun or rifle...what was the load and gun used... ive trapped and shot a few old coyotes in my past too.... charlie
22 wmr.

We also trap over here, got an elk population and recently saw a young one killed by these pesky coyotes. If they just ate the ground squriels and rats I'd have let them walk but when they threaten our herds future bulls I gota go after them when ever I can. I've considered taking the shotgun after one but I need a lil extra range, is why I used my rifle (sure shot!).

I will be using my short loads for the crow this week never shot shorter than 2 3/4" so it will be a treat...

Calvin,

At what was the distance you got yours with??? I am curious
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Keith I changed my post above it wasen't clear at first. Charlie got the yote i was trying to drive him some phesent and pushed the dog and it ran by him.