Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

Unread 10-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #21
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
I shoot my SBT and love it. I'll post a pic in a few days. The gun is original, but with what I believe is a replacement beavertail forearm. The wood doesn't match the butt stock very well.

No pistol grip and very little drop. I've replaced the original Silvers pad with a new Silvers pad. No safety, don't you love it? No more "oops, sorry". Sweet trigger. Ejector. I think mine is an SC since the engraving doesn't look as nice as the SB shown. But I'll tell you what a Parker SBT gun is: it is one heck of a trap gun!
I posted some pictures of my SBT, but I'm not proud of them. I'll make some more and delete these, but it'll take me a week or two to get to it. Moving. I hate moving, but don't we all?

Gun photography is difficult, as those who do it well know.

I'd also like to join your association. How do I do that anyway?

As an aside; I find it difficult to negociate this site. Not terribly difficult, just hard to do well.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #22
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:

I'd also like to join your association. How do I do that anyway?

As an aside; I find it difficult to negociate this site. Not terribly difficult, just hard to do well.
Go to www.parkerguns.org and on the left side find the link "Membership" and click on it. Follow the instructions and you should be all set. If you have any problems post back here and I am sure someone will help you gain membership. Glad to have you!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
After you've done it for a while you'll find it extremely simple to negotiate this website. I find it to be one of the easiest websites I visit... "user friendly" so to speak.

Welcome aboard Steve!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Welp, I've just joined the association.

Went to the store where my GH is on lay-away. I'll pick it up on the 15th. Say, I studied the engraving. I was expecting to see a Smoe like bird, but, while a little hard to see due to grime, the engraved bird looks like it is laying flat on the ground dead!!! Did someone at Parker have a sense of humor? Or am I going blind?

Bore is mirror.

I'm excited.
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Steve, when you get her home post some pictures, I would love to see that bird!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Steve, when you get her home post some pictures, I would love to see that bird!
I'll post a pic as soon as I can, but it'll be a week or two. I'm excited as a kid waiting for Christmas. Isn't that great! I'm old. I think that one should be making payments for a new Parker continously! Since they are expensive you'd get one new gun a year.

The trouble is I'm getting so old that when I pass a cemetery I feel homesick.

Steve
Here's another pic of my SBT. This is a SBT thread after all!
Unread 10-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #27
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I promise to no long post out of focus pictures. Using a different and better camera now than I was using when I snapped this one.

When I bought this gun is was totally covered with a thin coat of orange rust. I very lightly touched the surface with Liquid Wrench soaked 0000 steel wool and you can see what happened. I have not worked the metal any harder than that, so there is some blemish mixed with case color. I'm not going to removed either. There is some pitting on the barrel and rib, most on the rib, but the gun is as it will remain. I love the silvery slate gray/blue of the tube, which is 32 inches long.

How does my SBT stack up with others?

Steve
Unread 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #28
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Concerning the engraving on my SBT. I have seen this heart motif (on the underside of the receiver in front of the trigger guard) on Parkers before. Probably the same engraver. However I have not seen so much shading. The engraving seems almost bold as opposed to feathery with fine detail. However the shading makes the work immediately easy to see at first glance and is pleasing.
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Steve, first let me say "Welcome to the PGCA!"

Your SC's engraving is very similar to the engraving on a lot of the other SC's we see.
I'm surprised it came out as well as it did, considering the fine rust and 0000 steel wool.... Very Nice!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #30
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Steve, first let me say "Welcome to the PGCA!"

Your SC's engraving is very similar to the engraving on a lot of the other SC's we see.
I'm surprised it came out as well as it did, considering the fine rust and 0000 steel wool.... Very Nice!
Thank you very much.

If you look closely you can see some scaring caused by the rust. Looks like the gun had smallpox. I worked very slowly not wanting to remove the case colors, which are pretty bright. 40%? Liquid Wrench does a pretty good job of penetrating the rust and lifting it off. The steel wool just brushes it away.

I have the original Silvers pad, which was smashed flat and flaking away. The replacement Silvers pad must look like the old one, when it was new.

Beaver tail forearm must be a replacement. I read that Parker did that, and I've seen splinter forearms on SBT guns. Nor do the wood colors match very well. Way off actually.

Not sure what to do about the chip missing from along side the lower tang. It's almost 2" long, but it's not that wide, so I think I'll let it be. It is an old gun after all.

SM