Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

new forum member
Unread 01-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default new forum member

I am 65 years old, my wife and I live in northern lower michigan. I have not hunted in about 40 years, getting ready to sell a business and semi retire. I recently joined this site and the fox site. I am looking to eventually purchase a side by side shotgun hopefully in a 20 gauge. Is there a link, or place I can go to research the parker shotgun. I don't know much about older guns at all, and see there is a reproduction, i am wondering about purchasing a reproduction vs. an older shotgun etc. Double triggers vs. single trigger, things like that. I purchased a beretta o/u 20 gauge with 5 chokes and it will take a 3" shell. I am planning on getting a gun fitting this spring, the gun place has several old side by sides and new ones too. The beretta has 26" barrels, and it feels to short, almost "whippy" but its also nice to carry in heavy cover. My brittany breeder has just offered to let me try an older winchester 12 gauge sxs with 30" barrels for pheasants to see how I like shooting that type of older gun. Just looking to learn more about older side by sides in general. Any advice/help would be appreciated. And below my post it says instant e mail notification, which is where I leave it for notifications to this thread? Thank You
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Den
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ed there is a antique arms show February 2nd and 3rd at the Surburban Collection in Novi if your down this way. There will be Parkers and other doubles you can shoulder and ask questions about. Its on the calendar above.
Dennis Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Yager For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Den,
Thanks, there was a gun show last weekend in houghton lake. I am going to get a fitting, and ask a bunch of questions then too. This is fun just coming to these sites, there is a lot of good info here. Thanks again, Ed
Unread 01-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Welcome Ed. Ask away......
Unread 01-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #5
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

autumn days,
I am going to borrow an older winchester side by side from the 40's soon. The gun is way heavier with 30 inch barrels. I purchased the beretta 20 gauge with 26" barrels for grouse and woodcock. It works great in thick stuff, but until I try the older heavier gun, I am hoping it will swing smoother etc. I am hoping to hear from someone that has had a newer gun like me, and went to an older gun, I know everyone is different, but just hoping that its not a huge adjustment I really want to hunt with an older side by side. Double triggers concern me because I hunt pheasants in jan. and feb. when its cold. Also I am wondering if the shorter 12 gauge shells will have recoil similar to my 20 gauge. The fox forum guy gave me a place to buy the older shorter shells. Then I am wondering about getting a 16 gauge vs. the 20 gauge, or just find a 12 and use the lighter shorter shells. A lot of answers I will get hopefully after borrowing my buddies 12 gauge. Then looking for an old gun to buy when I don't know what to look for. I would rather buy through a forum like this when guys know a lot, or my local gun dealer that I will be getting fitted through. I need to learn about what grade of gun to buy if I am just going to hunt or I do like the looks of the grades just above the field grade, so need to think that out too. Do most grades hold their value if they are kept in good shape? Just questions like these, this forum has been helpful, so I will keep investigating and learn, and I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks, Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

About 3 years ago, before I started hunting again I did a partial trade for a parker .410 double sxs that was refinished, I think it had hammers too. I sold the gun, I remember finding someone online that was most helpful I think he lived out west. He said it wasn't a parker bros. but a reproduction. Can someone explain that too please. Are the reproductions made by a company that bought out parker bros.? And just continued that style of gun? Do guns like that sell cheaper than the original parker bros.? Do they hold value well? Would most of the reproductions take the 2 3/4 inch shells? Thank you again for your help.
Unread 01-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Ed, there is simply too much Parker information and history to discuss in a single forum post or even several posts.
I suggest you go to our home page and click on any of the links on the left column and spend some time learning the answers to most of your questions. There is a section there about the Parker Reproduction by Winchester. And none of them had outside hammers. And, yes they will accept 2 3/4” shells while many original Parkers will not.

Again, welcome.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ed; Parker Guns The Old Reliable by Ed Muderlak is a good book to read for a first time buyer. They are on ebay often if not always. Lots of info and pics. The Parker Story is also good but more money. Gerald
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you all again, Dean, I just found the area you suggested, I did not find it before. This will help a bunch. One of the parker members was kind enough to give me a call today. John and I talked quite a while and helped a lot with all my questions. He has a cottage about 1/2 hour from me. He was very knowledgeable and helpful, I am guessing he is quite a good shot from some of the stuff he has done in field trials. I am very glad I found these forums, it was bad enough losing sleep when my dog started hunting so well, now thinking about getting an older gun has got me excited again. Thank you all again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #10
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ed, You will find lots of good people on this forum who will help anyway they can. We hope you will become a member of the organization, for $40 per year, you get a great quarterly magazine, Parker Pages, you are then qualified to take advantage of the buy/sell members only part of this forum. Another part that is not often said is this forum costs money for the PGCA to maintain and your dues help maintain this site. You will find yourself welcome in any part of our PGCA. Good luck on the new education you have chosen.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post: