Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #31
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
This was a question I asked Jack before his death, as I wanted to give my Boss shotgun to a smith at the Southern to take back with him but he didn't want to as he didn't have enough transit insurance. Jack said to me"Eric, you are covered period" He said it doesn't matter where the gun (or guns) is, it's covered period. So that's why I have Eastern insurance covering my guns.
That is the same message I got from Jack too. Hunting, shooting, shipping, shows, fire or theft. I called him about shipping a gun to someone interested in buying it and he said until he accepted the gun after the inspection it would be insured under my policy. So, I didn't need the insurance the shipper or US Mail sell. That was when I knew I had something good.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #32
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
That is the same message I got from Jack too. Hunting, shooting, shipping, shows, fire or theft. I called him about shipping a gun to someone interested in buying it and he said until he accepted the gun after the inspection it would be insured under my policy. So, I didn't need the insurance the shipper or US Mail sell. That was when I knew I had something good.
I've said this before and I'll say it again no I don't like writing the check but I sure do love the piece of mind I have when I'm at a shoot or hunting or even shipping a gun (which I rarely do ) and know that my guns are covered and I'm not going to have to fight to get a settlement like other insurers. For the couple of bucks a day that it costs me to insure my whole collection is a small price to pay.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #33
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

I just renewed my Eastern policy. It sure gives me a nice overall piece of mind knowing I'm insured for most circumstances.

Keep in mind that there is one circumstance you aren't covered for and that's government confiscation. I ran into this with a VHE-20ga I bought on Gun Broker a couple of years ago from a dealer in Maine. Six months after I had the gun in hand the local police showed up at my door with a court order from Maine to take the gun because it was reported as stolen in Maine. It's a long story but the short version is; I lost the gun & the money I paid for it. My eastern policy wouldn't cover it due to the clause for government confiscation. It still hurts every time I think about it.
Paul Ehlers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #34
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,653 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ehlers View Post
I just renewed my Eastern policy. It sure gives me a nice overall piece of mind knowing I'm insured for most circumstances.

Keep in mind that there is one circumstance you aren't covered for and that's government confiscation. I ran into this a couple of years ago with a VHE-20ga I bought on Gun Broker a couple of years ago from a dealer in Maine. Six months after I had the gun in hand the local police showed up at my door with a court order from Maine to take the gun because it was reported as stolen in Maine. It's a long story but the short version is; I lost the gun & the money I paid for it. My eastern policy wouldn't cover it due to the clause for government confiscation. It still hurts every time I think about it.
Well that's an odd one for sure Paul. If it makes you feel any better and it will not you would most likely have that same exclusion in any policy with any carrier, not just Eastern and there will not be a buy back provision on that one. Theft has been mentioned a couple of times here. Along that line Eastern does have an exclusion pertaining to "unattended vehicles" as do most carriers. Theft from an unlocked vehicle with no signs of forced entry, no coverage ! Keep those vehicles locked fellas.
I stated earlier that I was not picking on Travelers, same for Eastern. Both are good products and they all have their quirks. Just pointing a few things out.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #35
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

I'm not picking on Eastern either, I'm very comfortable with their policy & think they offer some of the best coverage for collectors out there. I really like the coverage for shipping guns & while on hunting trips both domestic & internationally. You made a good point; always keep them locked up!!!!!

I just wanted to make the point that having insurance doesn't mean your covered for all possible situations. Be sure to know what your policy actually covers.
Paul Ehlers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #36
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Interesting thread.
Anyone care to throw out the annual cost of the Eastern insurance per, say, $100,000 of coverage?
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #37
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

~$350
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #38
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,559 Times in 3,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
Well that's an odd one for sure Paul. If it makes you feel any better and it will not you would most likely have that same exclusion in any policy with any carrier, not just Eastern and there will not be a buy back provision on that one. Theft has been mentioned a couple of times here. Along that line Eastern does have an exclusion pertaining to "unattended vehicles" as do most carriers. Theft from an unlocked vehicle with no signs of forced entry, no coverage ! Keep those vehicles locked fellas.
I stated earlier that I was not picking on Travelers, same for Eastern. Both are good products and they all have their quirks. Just pointing a few things out.
So, Randy, is a locked vehicle considered "attended?"
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #39
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,193 Posts

Yes if you have Eastern not sure about others
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #40
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,653 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
So, Randy, is a locked vehicle considered "attended?"
Garry generally speaking that would be correct for most carriers. I'm going to refrain from saying all carriers as there's always the odd ball.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post: