Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

RESEARCH LETTERS---Passing of the Baton!
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,074 Times in 170 Posts

Default RESEARCH LETTERS---Passing of the Baton!

After nine years of being the "research department" Mark Conrad has decided it is time to pass the baton off to another researcher. Mark has also elected to retire from the Board of Directors effective May 1, 2012. Mark will be persuing other hobbies----traveling, fishing, and antique automobiles, but he is still Parker through & through!! Mark has done a fantastic job with the Parker letters and all of us at the PGCA will miss having him involved on an active daily basis. Mark a great BIG THANK YOU for all you have contributed over the past nine years!!

Our new PGCA Parker letter researcher is our own Chuck Bishop. Chuck has plenty of experience and loves doing past history research. We welcome Chuck with open arms in his new assignment!! Thank you,Chuck, for volunteering for this very important task!

Chuck can be reached at:

Chuck Bishop PGCA Research
P.O. Box 126502
Harrisburg, Pa. 17112

This is effective immediately!

Bill Mullins
President, PGCA
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Having just got under the "baton passing" wire with the D grade then -

Thank you Mark for your efforts and the care given to your efforts

and welcome Chuck, thanks for taking on this important role.
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Mark ,Just wanted to make a short note to Thank You for all of the hard work and dedication you have always put into the PGCA Reaseach Letters for us guys !!! It has always been a Great Pleasure to contact you and speak to you and listen to your in depth knowledge of all things Parker ! All the Best in all you do and enjoy the rest of your Hobbies ! " Especially the Old Cars " ! Thank You Again ! Russ Jackson
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Thank you Bill for the kind words.

I'll post a more detailed reply on the "Research Letter Transition" forum since that's a Sticky.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mark Conrad has served this organization with integrity and a level of service that will be difficult to match. It is one of the things that sets the PGCA apart from other collector organizations, and it speaks highly of Chuck that he would be selected to assume this role. The membership has no idea of all the moving parts behind the research letters and the commitment that is required. It's a 24/7 job. Many thanks to Chuck for taking this on. Now, with all that space cleared in the garage I guess Mark can get another Corvette. :-)
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
No Easy Task!
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
John Liles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default No Easy Task!

One day after a practice session at a local venue, and lunch afterwards with Mark and a few others, I had the privilege of seeing the record books and other media that is used in the production of the PGCA research letters. Holy Cow, made the library of congress look like a Book-Mobile! While Mark had the luxury of a computer data-base that's been developed for quick access to some info, he also utilizes the original ledgers and production documents to detail all available information on any gun that's being researched. Having seen the actual hand scrawled notes from which some of the information is obtained, the cost of a PGCA letter might be the best deal in town.
John
John Liles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Liles For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
edward mccay
Forum Associate

Member Info

I sent one in last week. How will that be handled?
edward mccay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

More than likely, if Mark has your letter before today, he'll get it completed before the books are shipped next Monday. If not, his post office will forward your request to me.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Mark Conrad
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Bill and the other guys who have responded. I took the research letters on when I was working and frankly now, I don't know how I did it. It has been fun and I have really enjoyed helping both our members and non members. There is so much information in the records. At times I just enjoyed pulling a order book out and going through it. Next thing you know an hour had gone buy.

I do want to ask you guys to consider Chuck's private life. He can manage his time better through e mails. I have received phone calls at 1:00 am, while I have been fishing, parties and once I was pulled out of a meeting at work on an urgant Parker matter. I always handled your calls but it is much better using a PM or e mail. When I started with the research letters, the PGCA was much smaller than we are now. Over the last several years the number of calls and PM's have gone up considerability. So, be nice to our new researcher.

Most of you know that I have gotten back into corvettes. I had a 1967 roadster back in the early 80's that I sold and bought a parker with the profit. What a mistake that was. I now have a 2007 Z06 and a 1966 roadster with a 327/350. I am having a blast with the 1966. A picture is below. I'll be around. I just need to get tired of the car thing.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (507.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0636.jpg (513.5 KB, 1 views)
Mark Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Conrad For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Does this mean that our letters with Mark's signature will now have added value and be considered collectible in and of themselves?

Chuck will have some mighty big shoes to fill, we wish him well!