Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

overload proved
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Fritz Dornan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default overload proved

Hello Gents,

Looking at the photo you will see the overload proved stamp. Can some one can tell me the how the barrels that were overproved were conctructed differently than a set that was not overproved, and to what psi they would have been tested to? Does anyone know how common the overload barrel sets were?.Also what is the mark J.G. in the oval on the left of the bbl. flat.

Thank you ,
Fritz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overproved 1.jpg (42.3 KB, 181 views)
fritz dornan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

All Parker barrels were overload proved, regardless of year. See TPS p. 515 for the service load and proof load tables . J. G. is James Geary, the Parker barrel assembly superintendent, also as explained in TPS. In the mid 1920's , around 1925, Parker began using the Overload Proved stamp, although those barrels are no different structurally or dimensionally than previous barrels. Both fluid steel and damascus barrels were overload proved. Proof loads differed by guage and were the industry norm of the day, including 15,000 psi for 12ga when SAAMI standards were established in the mid 1920's. Again, for details, see p. 515, TPS. I have on occasion posted photos of the service and proof load table on this forum. For example, for a 12ga, maximum service loads of around 10,000psi are given. A Parker owner need not look very far to find loads at or below service loads.

Proof load psi should not be confused with rupture pressures.

Most questions regarding the Parker gun can be answered by reference to The Parker Story.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Fritz Dornan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bruce, Thank you for your reply and another reminder that most of my questions would be answered in TPS book. I am looking for a copy of TPS. I have found a nice leather bound set but I will pass at $850.00 Yesterday a friend of mine gave me his extra copy of the Parker Gun Identification & Serialization book so that is a start. Will keep the questions to a minimun until I find a copy of the book for myself.

Thanks Again
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Unless you want the limited set of The Parker Story,

As it has been mentioned here before that the Double Gun Journal has recently advertised "blems" for under $200, New sets for $295

you could also order here, i got mine from them and was happy with the transaction

http://www.idsabooks.com/cgi-bin/idb...ip%20Cote.html
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Fritz ,Please never worry about asking questions ,that is the enjoyment of this forum ! I am certain ,Bruce was just giving the reference points and where to locate them , you really will enjoy the TPS when you purchase them ,there is hardly a day I don't reference them ! This is a very knowledgeable bunch of Parker Folks here and all are happy to help !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

That is true Fritz. The Parker Story is invaluable for anybody interested in Parkers. Most of the time, the answer is in there. I had Parker books by Johnson, Baer and Muderlak and got on the pre-publication list for TPS, eagerly awaiting first Vol 1 then Vol 2. TPS is so superior to any of the others that the others seem almost quaint in comparision. I don't mind and I doubt others mind, answering questions, but the response is in a sentence or two whereas TPS devotes pages to the issue. For the complete answer and background, always see TPS. A Parker enthusiast should also have a complete set of all Parker Pages.

As for citations, I don't want a reader to think that I am merely giving my opinion, so I believe citation to the authority ( usually TPS) is the best course. Backing with an illustrative photo or table is also helpful to dispel unfounded internet statements.

There are those old timers who still complain today that The Parker Story and the PGCA ruined Parker collecting because no longer could those fellows ( often dealers or gunsmiths) say anything they chose and have their opinions accepted as fact. Even today a person will hear all sorts of unfounded stuff stated as fact. TPS and the PP's clear the air.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Fritz Dornan
Forum Associate

Member Info

TPS has been ordered thanks for the link
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Fritz, After you have devoured the wonderful tome called "The Parker Story" you will still have questions from time to time.Please feel free to ask all the questions you want. I for one am more than glad to help.
TPS
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Fritz Dornan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default TPS

Thank you Dave,
I am indeed looking forward to reading the TPS this spring and summer and begin to unravel my own mystery of the Parker Gun. As you pointed out Bruce there is A LOT of folklore shrouding the gun and as a result there is also a lot of opportunities to step out of bounds so to speak and get yourself hurt. To me it appears that there has never been a Gun as varied and complex as the Parker Shotgun. It is because of its complexity, verified in the records that were kept, that it has held the interest of so many people who love the adventure and hopes of encountering something rare and unusual.
And for goodness sake it is a SHOTGUN what more could a guy need!!
The Following User Says Thank You to fritz dornan For Your Post: