Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 04-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #11
JAMES HALL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Talk about tick born diseases google Q fever. It might make you think of what's happening in the times we are in.
JAMES HALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Twombly setters
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had a puppy client call me to see if any others in the litter had SEIZURES?
No not any- but hers had been using seresto collar and 2 times when putting on a fresh collar the adult dog had a seizure. she went to a topical and no more worries.
Unread 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Thanks Legh, that clinches it for me. I'll stay with Frontline - it works well enough for me.

Also Google Alpha gal Syndrome from a bacteria delivered by the Lone Star Tick... which by the way, I have found in my area for the last three or four years, in addition to the Texas Red Tick more commonly known as the Deer Tick, which is the predominant carrier of Lyme.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #14
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by legh higgins View Post
No not any- but hers had been using seresto collar and 2 times when putting on a fresh collar the adult dog had a seizure. she went to a topical and no more worries.
That's why you need to watch your dog regardless of what medication you put them on. I have a friend that can't use Frontline too, every dog is different just like humans.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #15
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by legh higgins View Post
Thanks for the warning Legh. I've read that that can happen and other more minor issues too. Grayson has had his Selesto collar on for about 20 hours now and is showing no signs of any change in behavior or other issues. It's easy these days to keep a 24/7 eye on him as we are cooperating with the self-isolation so we'll stay vigilant.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Hicks For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

There is not a medication made for man or beast that does not have side effects, most minor ,but for some serious. Hey, I love peanuts, but they will kill some people.
I also spritz my dogs down with this before hunting: Permectrin II, a 10% permethrin solution . You can buy an 8 oz bottle bottle for under $10 at animal supply stores like Southern States. You add 5cc to a quart of water, so that 8 oz bottle will make over 32 gallon of spray. I also spray my pants legs down with it to protect me.
BTW, checked with my brother, a veterinarian , he ok'd it. (use it with the seresto collars)
Unread 04-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #17
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use Bravecto with my dogs, an oral chew that’s good for about three months and kills ticks and fleas, but like the other oral meds the bugs need to bite in order to kill them. It’s worked well for us, I crate my dogs overnight and after and the next day after I hunt I’ll find deceased ticks on the floor of the crate. When I inspect my black Labrador on the tailgate right after a hunt I pick off the ones I find, I can usually spot their brown body sections pretty well on her black hair.
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #18
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

We used the Seresto collars on our french brittanys a couple of years age. My wife is a vet. tech., so we know we had the real thing. The dogs didn't have any problems with the collars. (The good thing about the collars is if the dog has a reaction you can take it off.) In our case, I'm the one that had THE REACTION. If I fell asleep, with one of the dog's collars against my arm, I'd awake with an itchy red rash on that arm. Quite using the collars, problem solved. Now we are using Revolution (Selamectin topical).
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #19
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
There is not a medication made for man or beast that does not have side effects, most minor ,but for some serious. Hey, I love peanuts, but they will kill some people.
I also spritz my dogs down with this before hunting: Permectrin II, a 10% permethrin solution . You can buy an 8 oz bottle bottle for under $10 at animal supply stores like Southern States. You add 5cc to a quart of water, so that 8 oz bottle will make over 32 gallon of spray. I also spray my pants legs down with it to protect me.
BTW, checked with my brother, a veterinarian , he ok'd it. (use it with the seresto collars)
Harold is the 8oz bottle a concentrate that you add to water to get a 10% solution or is it a 10% solution and you cutting it down further with water. Also once it dries is safe for dogs if they lick their fur?
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #20
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

Hi Eric, yes, the bottle is a 10 % solution that you further dilute 5cc/quart of water. This a very common ingredient in many ticl/flea sprays