Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

I dont know anything about shotguns but bought an 1887 parker sxs
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
ron petrov
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default I dont know anything about shotguns but bought an 1887 parker sxs

Ran into a guy wanting to sell a parker bros dual hammer sxs the wife thought it looked cool so we got it I like to collect old pistols and have a few rifles but so far have stuck with stuff made for smokeless powders
What I found out so far is it’s a 12g made in 1887 a twist barrel with ejector barrel weight 315 frame size 1 I couldn’t find the grade mark but think it is a grade 1 has some engraving on hammers and top bottom and just an outline on sides not a lot or very ornate engraving patent date of mar 16 &23 1875 Other marks couldn’t find out were circled t and a letter c on barrel
Stock has been refinished at some time removing the checkering it has some pitting and a couple of really small dents in the barrel still need to clean it up but think it will turn out to be safe to fire some low power rounds
The barrel fit is a little loose so would a brass shim and grease be the best way to tighten that up?
Hope I was in the right place at the right time
I honestly didn’t know anything about what I bought when I got it
Any idea of what it might be worth?

Last edited by ron petrov; 12-11-2012 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: added pictures
ron petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ron petrov For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Ron, give me the serial number found on the trigger guard or on water table, and I will tell you how it left the factory, looks like a grade O or a grade 1 both would have twist barrels, how long are the barrels and are they pitted inside? Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Fishtail top levers are neat. Your gun, with a little work, could be a nice shooter. A 1 frame with 28" or 30" is a nice upland gun. Looks like a good starting point for a relatively inexpensive restoration. Show us some more of the gun, such as locks, water table, muzzle (looking down on the bead) and butt.
Hammers appear to be mismatched, so one may have been lost a long time ago. Do the hammer screws match?
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
ron petrov
Forum Associate

Member Info

Serial # 52348 barrels 28 1/16 they have some pitting most is about 1/3 up from the chamber don’t appear to be very deep
Good catch on the hammers I totally overlooked that screws dont match
It has an extractor not an ejector as I stated earlier
I bought it as a hopefully shoot able wall hanger but was worried about doing any serious cleaning on the off chance it was a really rare piece but think I should be able to give the barrels a good scrubbing to be able to tell their condition better
From what I understand Damascus uses different types if metals where twist uses just one witch one would be better?

More

Can’t thank you guys enough this is a great site I’m learning a lot
The Following User Says Thank You to ron petrov For Your Post:
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Hi Ron.!

Welcome to the forum..!!! I'm going to move your thread into the "Parker Hammer Gun" forum for you...

Best to you!

John D.
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Ron,

Not a bad find you have there. Congrats on your first Parker aquisition. Being a shooter would all depend on bore condition and wall thickness. You should have that checked out.

As edgar mentioned, the hammers do appear to be mismatched due to the different styles of spur checkering. But, they do both appear to be parker hammers at least. I can say that your buttstock has been replaced with a homemade one. The side profile looks right, but the top tells me another story.
The loosness in the breech may not be a difficult fix depending on how loose it is. Depending on how much play you have, there are a couple different ways to fix it.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ron, welcome and congrats on the first Parker.
When I do the first cleaning of the barrels on a new to me Parker I chuch an old cleaning rod in wy Dewalt cordless and put a .45 cal brush on the end, then wrap it with some frontier pad with some gun oil and scrub the barrels good. Use an old rod as they don't like to come apart after you use the cordless on them. Then check the bores. Alot of what apears to be pitting can just be realy dirty bores.
Frontier pad is a steel wool scrubie that looks like shavings from a metal lathe. You can get them from Brownells but I go to Home depot and get them in the cleaning isle. ( cheaper )
Is there a number ( 1 ) or ( 2 ) above or below the serial number on the water table of the reciever? This would be the grade of the gun. Also did all of the SNs match on the lock plates ect.?
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Ron, your gun is an O grade, capped pistol grip with 28" barrels, looks like it is all the way like it came from Parker, nice find ,Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
ron petrov
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Gary when I first looked at it I thought it was a 0 grade but then turned it over and thought it had too much engraving so must be a 1 the replacement hammer must be from a higher grade and through me off
seeing I have a higher grade hammer don’t suppose I could get away with calling it a 0.1 grade
I noticed it was missing the shield on the stock but is fitted real well so at least they did a good job repairing it
Put in a paper shim and it tightened up the barrel real good so should be an easy fix
Honestly could probably get away with just using the paper shim seeing I don’t plan on shooting it much I messed up my back so cant hunt anymore
All the # match but the left hammer
I got the barrels cleaned up the pitting don’t look too bad or appear to go deep going to check around at the gun club to see if there is anyone there that collects old shotguns might even be able to find someone with a barrel gauge