Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

No Serial Number, can’t sell in Colorado:
Unread 02-21-2024, 09:01 AM   #1
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,941 Times in 361 Posts

Default No Serial Number, can’t sell in Colorado:

I took half a dozen disposable shotguns to town yesterday to put on consignment. They couldn’t legally accept the oldest SxS. It is my J. Smith Bar in Wood Crab Knuckle. Can’t sell a firearm in Colorado without a serial number. Even though it is an antique from the 1870’s it cannot be consigned for sale. So, I suppose I’ll have my smith stamp some random number on the water table. How many ways can something be “infringed” for something that “Shall Not Be Infringed”?

T.S. Eliot
Bruce P Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2024, 09:27 AM   #2
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

An 1870s gun doesn’t require a transfer. I don’t think the ATF cares about the gun since it is pre-1899. Is this the gunshop rule or a real CO law?

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2024, 09:35 AM   #3
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes, I was told any centerfire firearm regardless of age requires a serial number for transfer. All firearms consigned require “log in”. The only exception are cap fired muzzle loaders. I could legally ship the gun myself but I can’t stomach the uncertainty's of shipping.

T.S. Eliot
Unread 02-21-2024, 09:44 AM   #4
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner View Post
Yes, I was told any centerfire firearm regardless of age requires a serial number for transfer. All firearms consigned require “log in”. The only exception are cap fired muzzle loaders. I could legally ship the gun myself but I can’t stomach the uncertainty's of shipping.
You can ship a cap lock but not a flintlock?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2024, 09:49 AM   #5
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
You can ship a cap lock but not a flintlock?
My error, flintlock arms are not considered firearms.
Government: “Hold my beer”.

T.S. Eliot
Unread 02-21-2024, 10:47 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

ATF considers guns such as yours "not a gun", and frowns on anyone littering their books with them. I don't think any state can mandate entering such guns in a licensee's bound book.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2024, 11:09 AM   #7
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

I'm a little confused. Anything older than1898 is not defined as a firearm by ATF. Is this a Colorado only law? I don't think they can possibly dictate issues pertaining to official ATF documentation rules. The law on its face would force violation of federal rules. They may be able to pass a law that doesn't interfere with a federal rule, but I see no way they could require documentation in a book that is required by ATF rules and doesn't allow the entry.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2024, 11:11 AM   #8
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
ATF considers guns such as yours "not a gun", and frowns on anyone littering their books with them. I don't think any state can mandate entering such guns in a licensee's bound book.
I can tell you that these three antiques went into their books:
Syracuse, NY pre-1887 LC Smith Quality 3 double.
Pre-1890 W&C Scott double.
JP Clabrough serial number 970.

It could be simply a store policy to enter everything into the book. I was told it was Colorado law that all firearms are required to have a serial number to transfer. There are many shotguns manufactured without serial numbers. My Stevens double certainty doesn’t have one.

T.S. Eliot
Unread 02-21-2024, 12:27 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner View Post
I can tell you that these three antiques went into their books:
Syracuse, NY pre-1887 LC Smith Quality 3 double.
Pre-1890 W&C Scott double.
JP Clabrough serial number 970.

It could be simply a store policy to enter everything into the book. I was told it was Colorado law that all firearms are required to have a serial number to transfer. There are many shotguns manufactured without serial numbers. My Stevens double certainty doesn’t have one.
We enter everything DEEMED post 1898 in the book and if no number it goes in as “NVSN” . We get audited by an ATF person now it seems yearly and they’re fine with “NVSN” . Now that’s Federal , we’re in Virginia and you’re in Colorado so I would assume that’s a state thing .
Colorado’s New Anti-Ghost Gun Law
Unread 02-21-2024, 01:11 PM   #10
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,554 Times in 380 Posts

Default Colorado’s New Anti-Ghost Gun Law

Breaking Down Colorado’s New Anti-Ghost Gun Law
Beginning January 1, 2024, every gun in Colorado must have a serial number. If you own a firearm that does not have a serial number, you can get it serialized by a licensed Colorado gun dealer.

Senate Bill 279, signed into law by Governor Jared Polis on June 2, 2023, closes a loophole that allowed people to own and purchase so-called “ghost guns,” which can be assembled at home. Ghost guns are unregistered and untraceable by law enforcement.

Recent shootings involving ghost guns in Colorado and across the nation have heightened awareness about the dangers posed by these firearms. According to the ATF, the use of ghost guns in crimes has risen 1000 percent since 2017.

What Is a Ghost Gun?
Breaking Down Colorado’s New Anti-Ghost Gun LawGun frames or receivers include essential components that allow a firearm to function, including the barrel and firing mechanism. Federal law requires gun manufacturers to put serial numbers on frames and receivers.

Although the law requires manufacturers to place serial numbers on firearms, the federal government doesn’t regulate most gun parts. This loophole makes it possible for people to own ghost guns, which can be assembled at home from kits or using a 3D-printed. These firearms don’t have a serial number.

Ghost guns make it possible for people to evade background checks when purchasing a firearm. They also prevent law enforcement officials from tracking a gun’s origins.

The new Colorado law includes the following provisions:

A mandatory three-day waiting period for all gun purchases
Raises the minimum age for buying guns from 18 to 21
Designates machine gun conversion devices as “dangerous weapon”
Prohibits knowingly possessing, selling, receiving, offering to sell, or transporting unfinished gun frames or receivers without a serial number
Prohibits knowingly selling, receiving, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or owning a firearm that is not imprinted with a serial number
Expands red flag laws that allow teachers, prosecutors, and medical professionals to petition a judge for the temporary seizure of someone’s firearms
Strict New Ghost Gun Penalties
Federal law prohibits dealers from selling firearms to felons and people deemed mentally unfit to own a gun. Colorado law restricts gun ownership for anyone convicted of a violent misdemeanor in the last five years, and court orders relating to domestic violence or a serious mental condition may also restrict gun rights.

Ghost guns allow people who would be legally unable to purchase a firearm to evade a background check. These devices generally cost around $500, but they may be purchased for less than $200.

Ghost guns were involved in the Club Q shooting in Colorado Springs that resulted in five fatalities and the East High School shooting, where the shooter was 17 years old.

If you own a firearm that doesn’t have a serial number, you must get it serialized by a registered gun dealer no later than January 1, 2024. Dealers are required to run a background check before serializing a firearm.

Unlawful conduct involving an unsterilized firearm is a class 1 misdemeanor, carrying a penalty of up to 364 days in jail.

Subsequent offenses are a class 5 felony, carrying up to three years in jail.

The new law also prohibits the Colorado Bureau of Investigation from approving a firearm transfer to a person convicted of a misdemeanor for unlawful conduct involving an unserialized firearm, frame, or receiver in the last five years.
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post: