Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #131
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm of the mind that if the bores are salvagable that someone ought to step up and bring it back from the dead.Pictures often make the pitting look worse than it is and without someone looking at in in the flesh ,that does restoration, I would not be too quick to give it up as a lost cause.I'm thinking of the Optimus Lefever that sold last year that was given up for dead by many but was brought back to life.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #132
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am going to have it looked at this weekend to see what kind of mess I am getting myself into
Dee Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #133
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just make sure that whoever looks at it is someone that actually does restoration and is someone that is on the "approved" list. Lots of guys out there that say they are "restoration experts" but couldn't correctly restore a hardware store clunker.Don't be shy about asking for references.Gun does not have to be made to look like new to be given a new lease on life and to seriously enhance the value.
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #134
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

It's Herschel Chadick in Terrell. He was referred to me by Bruce Day from here. I've heard very good things about him and he is closest to where I live. If someone from this site holds him in high regards, I will give him a go.
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #135
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mr. Chadick has certainly seen his share of Parkers but is not a gunsmith and I would take that into account when talking with him. He would certainly know of the men to talk to when it comes to doing any work on your gun.Just fixing the screws and cleaning the gun would add a lot and getting an evaluation of the condition with an eye to putting it back into shooting condition would be my first consideration.
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #136
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

I cannot for the life of me remember his gunsmith's name, but he is going to have him look at it as well. He is retired, but Mr. Chadick said he makes special exceptions for special guns. And my gun may be the case.....so I guess I'll see and take any advice that can be offered.
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #137
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dee, How close are you to Kerrville,Tx? Kirk Merrington is the best barrel man around and he hails from there. I have spent many an hour on the phone with him and he is a true gentleman. No one better to get an honest opinion from.
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #138
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Dee, How close are you to Kerrville,Tx? Kirk Merrington is the best barrel man around and he hails from there. I have spent many an hour on the phone with him and he is a true gentleman. No one better to get an honest opinion from.
It shows to be a 5 hour drive from my place....too far for me Mr. Chadick's place is about an hour from me
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #139
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would liken this gun to a stage 4 cancer patient and suggest that you get a second opinion before doing anything,or not doing anything.High end gunsmiths are like top end doctors and some are more willing,and able,to take on the "hopeless" cases.The gun is important and deserves a chance if any chance is at all viable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Delk For Your Post:
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #140
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

My visit with Mr Chadick is done. He said it definitely is a rare Parker (C grade with O frame). But will require a LOT of time to restore it...