Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New...and confused
Unread 12-01-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Robert Brush
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New...and confused

Hi and Thank you for welcoming me to your site! From what I am seeing, there seems to be a number of very knowledgeable folks here....which brings me to my state of confusion.

I have an old Parker which I haven't been able to find much info on other than the ser. no is 17043 and made in 1879. I cannot for the life of me figure how to separate the barrels from the reciever so that I can get a better look at the insides. There is no actual beaver tail to remove, but rather a metal handle which moves sideways to allow opening of the breech. It appears that it is pinned in place. I am attaching only 1 photo as I tried attaching several, but I guess they are too big a file or something...I am not real computer saavy either.

My wife has had the gun passed down to her and she has no history on it, other than it's old. Can anyone shed any light on this gun? Is it valuable or should I not worry about keeping it in a safe?

Thank you in advance for any assistance/info you can give.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (549.7 KB, 7 views)
Robert Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Sorry Robert, we can't tell you much about your gun other than it is not a Parker Bros. shotgun which is what this organization is all about. I hope you find the information you're looking for.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here is some information about the name Parker. In the late 1700s to the mid 1800s the person in charge of the Royal Navy's armoury of ships cannons and supplies was known as the Parker. Ships captains, gunnery officers, and gunnery mates went to the shipyard to fit out their ships with necessary cannon and ammunition to carry out the orders of the Royal Navy High Command while asea. The Parker had a master list of ships and the size of the guns he was authorized to fit them with. He also had a table of what and how much shot, cannon balls, fuse and slow match each ship was authorized to be issued. The Parker was an important position in the Royal Navy. (Source - Patrick O'Brien, author of 22 books on the English navy 1790 - 1815)

The name was also given to the keeper of private parks on estates in the 1500s and later. They were said to have a Parkership, a highly coveted title, and were responsible for arresting or otherwise dealing with poachers. If a poacher killed a deer the Parker was held responsible and could lose his Parkership as a result. (Source - O.E.D.) For that reason the Parker was particularly vicious in dealing with rural folks looking for an easy meal. Mantraps, booby trap shotguns, snares etc. were regularly used to catch and hold poachers for the application of justice.

The common rabbit was called a warrener, parker, sweetheart and hedgehog. They were plentiful in the countryside, and in gentlemen's pleasure grounds. (Source - O.E.D.) Rabbits were fair game for Sunday dinner. It would not be unreasonable to consider that the name on the gun was indicative of what it was intended to harvest - parkers.

Last edited by John Farrell; 12-01-2012 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: William Strunk jr and E.B. White
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Farrell For Your Post:
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

This might help
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...=161874&page=1
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
OH My!
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Robert Brush
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default OH My!

I apologize to the group as I had no idea my gun was not a Parker "Bros". I saw Parker engraved on each side of the reciever and just supposed it to be a Parker Bros. Thanks to John Farrell for the insight on the word "Parker" The ser. # must not be the actual age then because I found that date via this website.
Photo attached to show how I made the error...but sadly I still don't know how to dissassemble and now I don't even know what kind of gun it is....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (529.3 KB, 3 views)
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts

Robert, if you could post a picture of the hinge pin area and the forearm, whatever it might be, we could probably tell you how to get the barrels off.
Don't fret, there are quite a few old Parker shotguns out there that are not Parker Bros shotguns. Many are fooled by this. Either way, you we be welcomed here, and will find many willing to help you.
By the way, I have a Belgium SxS shotgun that has the lever like yours to open it. Under that lever there is another smaller lever that swings in the other direction that allows the barrels to be removed.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Noble For Your Post:
...more info
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Robert Brush
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default ...more info

I have alot more info now thanks to the members of this board as well as the Doublegun BBS site...Thanks everyone!
The markings on the gun appear that it is a LeFaucheux and I assume the name Parker on the receiver denotes a model or ?. As info, the markings are: On left side of receiver bed is a capital L, and on the underside if the left barrel is an oval with an E above LG and a star below them. There is also a symbol that resembles a plumb bob or maybe a maul over a M and a star below. The right side receiver bed has the same symbol above a star with an M below.

I am still at a loss as to how/if the barrels detach from the reciever easily or at least without removing a pin to dissassemble. Here's a photo showing the "hinge". I have removed the screw in the hinge thinking it would release it from the lugs, but nothing budged using normal pressure. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (533.2 KB, 4 views)
Thanks
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Robert Brush
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who contributed help in helping me figure out what gun I have here , and I am thinking I may never know for sure other than a cheap Belgian manufactored gun. I have also gained alot of knowledge of what a really fine double looks like and maybe one day I will get a real "Parker".
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Have you removed the screw in the bottom of the wedge shaped 'forearm' under the barrels? I've not seen this system before; just guessing.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Robert Brush
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks to everyone for the help on this post. I have found everyone to be very helpful.

The screw on the hinge was removed and with some shaking, finally turned loose the barrels. The determination on the guns history is not complete, and I may never know the manufactor, however with help from this and other forums, it is Belgium made (the mark ELG over a star in an Oval). This gun was produced in a mass introduction of low priced guns and has no real $ value, and was for blackpowder use and is not to be used with modern ammo.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.