Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

These must be new?
Unread 03-05-2022, 03:12 AM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,003 Times in 464 Posts

Default These must be new?

I havnt seen these before on their website before.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...-SHELL-08-3-14

I have seen the 10 gauge ones before but never for the 8 gauge, I wanted to order some until I noticed they take a large pistol primer still neat nonetheless.
Although a pistol primer may work with smokeless if you used a homemade base wad.

So I looked up the CIP 8 gauge measurements and they are exactly the same as my chambers 23.5mm. Anyone knows what Pmax PK and PE mean on the pressures ? Im assuming Pmax is max operating pressures and the other two are for proofing ? Anyhow the Pmax listed for 8 gauge industrial loads comes out to 33,000 psi and 15,000 for a 8 gauge sporting chamber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot-shell-08-3-14_1.jpg (35.2 KB, 164 views)
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,544 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks for the link, that would be an expensive undertaking.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I havnt seen these before on their website before.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...-SHELL-08-3-14

I have seen the 10 gauge ones before but never for the 8 gauge, I wanted to order some until I noticed they take a large pistol primer still neat nonetheless.
Although a pistol primer may work with smokeless if you used a homemade base wad.

So I looked up the CIP 8 gauge measurements and they are exactly the same as my chambers 23.5mm. Anyone knows what Pmax PK and PE mean on the pressures ? Im assuming Pmax is max operating pressures and the other two are for proofing ? Anyhow the Pmax listed for 8 gauge industrial loads comes out to 33,000 psi and 15,000 for a 8 gauge sporting chamber.
I recently purchased 50 of these hulls in 10 gauge and 50 in 12 gauge. These are built much heavier than the MagTech shells. They are built to take the Large Pistol Primer, but the only difference between that and the Latge Rifle Primer is that the rifle version is is a very few hundreths of an inch longer. I tried one and it would barely seat but took a lot of seating pressure. I pulled out a primer pocket conditioner tool tha used to be necessary for case prep for good accuracy. It simply reams the pocket square and true to depth in a matter of a few quick twists. per case. WIth that, any large size primer will fit, up to the hottest Magnum Rifle Primers.

The drawback with the Magtech at shotgun pressures as you note is the short powder charge length. These hulls have a much stronger, thicker head design that doesn't require a base wad addition. It is flat on the inside They also have thicker walls so there is no need to use oversized wads when lading. Standard to bore plastic designed for straight sided hulls all work perfectly. I have shot a few stiff loads in them and they continue to fit every gun of that gauge I have. I consider them a good investment for the long haul.

-------Quick Edit-------------

Need to clarify something. The hulls will accept a gauge larger wad but very tightly. The plastic wads or obturators fit well but not extremely tightly. I have had no problem with the function of the bore size plastic but use oversize card wads with BP to insure a really tight seal. The Magtechs are so thin that you have no option and are limited for smokeless.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 11:45 AM   #4
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,214 Times in 641 Posts

This could get me in some trouble(adding to my Parker collection trouble)...

I have these shells in 10 and 12 gauge in varying lengths. The 10ga. 2 5/8" are great for the short chambered early 10 gauge lifters and really a must have for them in my opinion. I also use the 2 7/8' 10s in my top action guns and was able to stuff 4 drams of 2f black powder and 1 7/8 of bismuth BBs(by volume) for a successful Tundra Swan hunt.

The 12s are great as well and I have those in 2 1/2" and 2 5/8". A significant step up from Magtech shells and they say Parker on them!

I usually use black powder with these shells though I know someone who uses the the 19gr Red Dot and 1 1/8oz. recipe in there 10 gauge hammer gun without issue.

To me this is like buying a "Yeti" cooler or mug. There is some sticker shock, but once you have it you appreciate the quality.

Do 8 gauge lifters and top-actions have the same chamber length? I will probably buy 25 of these shells just to have them, though I don't have an 8 gauge gun yet. Ideally I would like a 8 gauge lifter, but wouldn't turn down a nice top action gun either.

This is going to sound like a strange way to back into a gun, but a year or so ago, I bought(and really paid too much) for what I thought was Parker Bros. 10 gauge capper. It turned out to be an 8 gauge capper. So now I get the shells and hopefully have the gun soon...sounds like a decent plan right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Guage Capper.jpg (502.3 KB, 0 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jay, that's exactly the kind of logic that gets a lot of us in "trouble"! A man ends up with at least one room/basement/garage full of loading benches, gun safes, and supplies. Not saying there is anything wrong with all that BUT, a very slippery slope.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,214 Times in 641 Posts

You are right Keith and for some reason I like the story that could come out of this...

I will add, I also like these shells as it would let me get into shooting an 8 gauge without having to buy a press/reloaders. These shells can be loaded with had tools. I would likely shoot black powder in these shells in my "to be obtained" 8 gauge hammer gun. Though I might experiment with smokeless. As long as the shells are being used in the same gun there shouldn't be a need to resize the shells.

I look at it like someone who bought a Parker hammer gun new and bought some brass shells to go with it. Those shells are going to last a awhile...
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #7
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Oliver View Post
This could get me in some trouble(adding to my Parker collection trouble)...

I have these shells in 10 and 12 gauge in varying lengths. The 10ga. 2 5/8" are great for the short chambered early 10 gauge lifters and really a must have for them in my opinion. I also use the 2 7/8' 10s in my top action guns and was able to stuff 4 drams of 2f black powder and 1 7/8 of bismuth BBs(by volume) for a successful Tundra Swan hunt.

The 12s are great as well and I have those in 2 1/2" and 2 5/8". A significant step up from Magtech shells and they say Parker on them!

I usually use black powder with these shells though I know someone who uses the the 19gr Red Dot and 1 1/8oz. recipe in there 10 gauge hammer gun without issue.

To me this is like buying a "Yeti" cooler or mug. There is some sticker shock, but once you have it you appreciate the quality.

Do 8 gauge lifters and top-actions have the same chamber length? I will probably buy 25 of these shells just to have them, though I don't have an 8 gauge gun yet. Ideally I would like a 8 gauge lifter, but wouldn't turn down a nice top action gun either.

This is going to sound like a strange way to back into a gun, but a year or so ago, I bought(and really paid too much) for what I thought was Parker Bros. 10 gauge capper. It turned out to be an 8 gauge capper. So now I get the shells and hopefully have the gun soon...sounds like a decent plan right?
Actually when I bought my first 10 gauge. I picked up one like this but non-Parker on eBay. had five or six and I bought the nicest looking one for $32.

Turned out to be a good move. You can buy 12 gauge and down shell holders for regular presses and either tuse the press arm or an RCBS Benc Automatic priming tool to prime brass cases.Bigger than 12 is a real problem. The instructions to insert and press down on a smooth surface is way over rated. It usually takes about 6 tries a case to get it inserted far enough and square enough to get this done without the primer falling out. Since the case stays upside down with these tools you simply open the tool, drop in the case, lay the primer on the seat and press it in. Works as slick as can be. You need the tool, a case size dowel, a second dowel with a pin or better a cut off depriming punch from an old die epoxied into a second dowel and a piece of hard wood with a base recess and a primer hole bored.

You can get in the 8 gauge or 10 gauge business for $50.

If shooting plastic 10 gauge 2-5/8, look up my post where you can use a a $70 12 gauge Lee Load All with the use of a couple of big washers as spacers as long as you roll crimp or use overshot wads glued in.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #8
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'd like to get a few to experiment with. I'd go smokeless and bismuth. That'll make the members in my duck lease howl! Most had never seen roll crimp shells before when I broke them out opening day several years ago.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,003 Times in 464 Posts

I think I can use my press and sizing die to seat primers for the 8 gauge I was testing it with fired primers seems like it will work.
I can make a decapper with these wood dowels I found that measure almost exactly the diameter of the case inside.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #10
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,793 Times in 651 Posts

Wow, Jay! I have the parker primer tools in 10 ga and 12 ga, but have never seen one in
8 ga. That is quite a find!
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Kuss For Your Post: