Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 02-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

It's Dumb I agree.

Skeet range is on a military base no bending any rule. Other is a public clays course sharply limited by county use permit rules. Basically they let him shoot what he shot before giving him a use permit nothing more. Very specific no pistols rifles or anything but 12 g and under target loads even down to shot size. Nearest house is miles away

My Club range we don't have any firearm restrictions but do have some silly ones. No club shooting past 3 pm on Sunday. Shooting past 3 pm is legal in the county. We have to have a member record all shots heard on Sunday after 3 make the rounds of 14 ranges Rifle Pistol and Shotgun record and confirm the sound did not club from a club range. Use permit does not say we have to go through that process, in fact we do because the local sheriff was showing up at the club gate anytime a gun went off nearby after 3

4th range is public, small scale Sporting clays course on a farmers property. He's been permitted since 1986 with day of the week and time of day limits. Drive down the road to the property several new neighbors, not farmers, city people that have moved to the quiet county, have signs saying "stop the noise" Nothing they can do he's legal.

It's a great clays course, high tower we shoot from several angles, mostly hand thrown targets lot of variety. Shots you don't find on commercial operations with limited space. We can turn or move the hand traps to vary shots week to week. Lucky to have it

Can't wait to get that 10 on tower shots

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

have fun-

our club has a shot size limit on the skeet trap and clays - nothing bigger than a 6, I think, big enough I don't use it for the venues (you can pattern heavy loads at the outdoor pistol bays

and no shooting between sunset and 9AM - remarkably reasonable for NY

my favorite ever regulation was a club I shot at as a guest of a friend back in the 1970's. The club house and skeet fields were on the outside of a curve in the rural public road and the trap was inside the curve. the rule was that if you were shooting trap, and a car was coming up the road towards the club- you had to let far right targets go. Seems that drivers were upset with shot rattling off their windows

seemed like a good rule to me
Unread 02-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #13
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don't feel bad the public range in Delaware has same rules, nothing larger than 12 ga and no shot size larger than 7-1/2.

Jack K
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Found out 2 of the 4 places I shoot clays won't allow 10 g. Even though it's throwing 12 G target size loads.
One of those places "Central Virginia" had no choice that was a rule placed upon them by the county .

Which was also the reason we were talking about going to the Flying Rabbit in Mount Crawford . I think Shennendale will also allow a 10 gauge .

At the gun club I belong to here in Orange as well as the little skeet club I'm a memer of in Ashland I shoot 10 gauge at them both . If and when I ever get an 8 gauge I'll shoot it there as well .
Unread 02-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #15
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
no shooting between sunset and 9AM - remarkably reasonable for NY

When I first joined my local gunclub back in the mid 80's you could shoot trap or skeet 24 hours a day 7 days a week . And I hate to admit it but there were many nights I was out there shooting skeet at midnight .
Now they say nothing before 8AM or after 10PM .
Unread 02-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,195 Times in 12,369 Posts

It's 9 to 9 at my club.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #17
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
When I first joined my local gunclub back in the mid 80's you could shoot trap or skeet 24 hours a day 7 days a week . And I hate to admit it but there were many nights I was out there shooting skeet at midnight .
Now they say nothing before 8AM or after 10PM .
Well I did misspeak- skeet and trap (and 5 stand which uses one of the skeet fields) at my club are open a couple days a week under lights to 9PM