Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

How Cold Is It!?
Unread 12-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default How Cold Is It!?

For those of you across the country hunting this week (or hoping to), I pose the question, "How cold was your most recent hunt?" I know that with hunting members scattered throughout the States (and Canada), there should be a range of temperatures, from temperate to downright cold (as it is here in North Missouri).

***So, if you have the time, how about chime in and let us know what the temperatures and conditions were on your most recent hunt.***

We sat out yesterday when the high was 6 degrees, but are heading out in a few minutes to chase quail and pheasants with the thermometer reading 12 degrees with a stiff breeze and about 4 inches of snow on the ground. We'll use plenty of Musher's Secret today I'm sure.

I hope someone is hunting in warmer and more comfortable conditions, but as a favorite writer of mine, Percy Blogg, wrote, "There are No Dull Dark Days'.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

It was 13 this morning with a 10 to 20 mph wind. So according to the chart near zero! Got up and started to call my hunting partner to postpone, but the doves have to all feed unlike a warm day so we went for three hours. As the sun came up it got colder as it always does. Standing still so we did not get warmer.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Nothing like doves with a good tail wind to provide good excuses for missing them, eh? And what state/area are you hunting? Just curious about the state, not prying into your secret dove spots.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

Took the boys for a run on Tuesday. It was 12 with a 20 mph wind. When we worked into the wind it froze my face. I intended to go today but it was -2 this morning but only about 10 mph wind, but still I said the heck with it and loaded shells instead. Maybe tomorrow.

Supposed to shoot clays Sunday. Forecast is for 2 overnight and a high of 10. Grandson says we are going so we will.

Last edited by Gary Laudermilch; 12-28-2017 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: addition
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Nothing like doves with a good tail wind to provide good excuses for missing them, eh? And what state/area are you hunting? Just curious about the state, not prying into your secret dove spots.
The Old Dominion.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Spent all day yesterday on the ram end of a log splitter; high was 28 degrees. Hit it again at 7AM (12 degrees) and finished up around 10 AM when it had warmed up to a balmy 28 again. A little wind always helps!! As revenge against the drudgery of 'chores', we have a quail hunt planned for tomorrow morning "late" (10-ish) and the weather can do whatever it wants; we're going anyway.

BTW - Percy Thayer Blogg was a local boy (MD) - Check out his, "When Springtime Comes to Bodkin Creek." - it'll help take your mind off this cold!!!!!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Got up this morning and the temperature was -35 and wind chills of -45. Not too bad, but I've tried hunting in these conditions and in hindsight while it was occasionally satisfying it was never "fun". Must be getting old.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

It's 7:30 Thursday evening and I set the broom under the thermometer and the mercury is down on the broom handle. It says its 4 degrees and heading down even more.

Not as bad as it could be but it is cold outside!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

Went out this afternoon for what I think is the last pheasant hunt of the year for me in Minnesota with 15 degrees and a 10 mph breeze. Our season ends on Jan 1 and it is supposed to be below zero from here on out in MN. The Parker Reproduction 20 scored. The rooster looks a bit rough because he decided to go for a swim in a open drainage ditch before my friends Boynkin Spainel cornered him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01793.JPG (119.2 KB, 3 views)
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt Buckley For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #10
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,789 Times in 651 Posts

I was going to wait another day, but my new waders came in the mail so I decided to try them out. It was a balmy 14 degrees when I started walking ditches this afternoon.
Only three more days of duck season, so I had to attempt hunting. I jumped two groups of Mallards. I doubled on one group . Of course I dropped both of them in the water! Unlike my old waders, the new ones don't leak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1558.jpg (510.1 KB, 0 views)
Jeff Kuss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Kuss For Your Post: