Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 08-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
If you cannot get your chambers measured, 2 1/2" would work. No need for the added expense of 2 inch shells. I'm not sure when Parker started boring 2 3/4" chambers, but your gun would be close to that timeframe. Generally, they had 2 5/8" around the time of your gun, but to be sure, you should get them measured. Galazan sells an inexpensive drop-in gauge, and since you are bound to add to your collection (), you'll eventually need one.

As already recommended, lighter loads with moderate speeds should be okay, assuming your gun is sound. Many older guns have had things done to them over time, as I'm sure you know, so getting a good, qualified appraisal is important.

Good shooting with your new Parker. Post some photos of your gun and some of the game you shoot and places you hunt.
My 1927 12ga VH 1 1/2 frame, has 2 3/4" chambers.... I had a Trojan that was one year older, and it had 2 1/2" chambers.... What I don't know, is if a former owner of the VH had chambers increased to 2 3/4", or if it came that way originally. Chamber length is not mention in my Parker Letter for it.

I shoot RST's out of it mostly, or the herters low recoil target loads. As for Bismuth, most of the factory Bismuth loads are 1350ish fps and too heavy IMHO for use in the VH. I do believe BOSS will make low pressure bismuth loads for you during normal times, right now I'd guess that's a hard one to get though.

After that, If you reload, reload your own low pressure bismuth for it.
Unread 08-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Tyler, congrats on your new Parker. Ditto on RST. BTW, they have low pressure 12 gauge bismuth in stock, both 2-1/2 and 2-3/4 shells.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/2-12-Gauge.aspx?pi=2
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 08-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #13
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

For the first fifty or sixty years of your guns life, if it was being hunted, it probably saw plenty of these high velocity 1 1/4 ounce loads.

Early Super-X 12-ga box, Super Excellant.jpg

Second style 12-gauge Super-X picture side 5.jpg

NITRO EXPRESS 12-gauge, Long Range Game Loads.jpg

Peters-12-Gauge-High-Velocity-Teal-Box 03.jpg

LEADER 12-gauge 2 3-4 inch OVAL Load No. 4404C.png
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 08-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

I agree 100% with Victor. 1 oz max and under 1200 FPS. That's all I shoot hunting with my Parkers and Lefevers. As Victor said, it'll save your stock. That's because anything stiffer may cause damage to the head of the stock especially if it has a lot of oil soaked into it, is very dry (think dry rot) or has been repaired. The stocks are the biggest concern on our vintage guns.

You can reload your own spreaders too. RST spreaders are great shells but right now they are unavailable due to component shortages. Go to Ballistic Products and get your components and load them up!! I even have some #10 shot I use for mudbat spreaders. They are very effective and don't destroy the bird.

One other item, RST does have some 12g bismuth shells in stock. You can find them on their website.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 08-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #15
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

My grandfather always told me that 1 oz. of shot fired from a 12, 16 or 20 bore was all you needed for grouse. My experience has taught me the wisdom of his words. I once bought a box of Remington high brass 1 1/4 loads for grouse since I read that recommendation in one of the periodicals. He laughed at me and told me to stick to the one ounce loads.

I well remember that I found a high brass #6 case in one of my grouse coverts. I was agast that someone else hunted in my area. My grandfather asked what type of shell it was. I told him and he laughed and said that the guy couldn't do much damage with those shells.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: