Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #11
David Dubose
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Sirmans View Post
Glad to see ya on here sir
Thank you Keith,
I appreciate that.
David
David Dubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
David Dubose
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I've owned probably 6 or 7 10 gauges now . Currently have 3 10 gauge doubles . The 10 gauge is probably my favorite gauge well besides the 8 but those aren't as easy to get as a nice 10 ga . The rst 1 1/8 oz loads out of a 10lb double has got to be one of the softest shooting combos.
I am supposing, given the venue, that your three 10 Gauges are most likely Parkers, or another close quality equivalent. Whereas mine are just plain Jane, run of the mill, hunting tools.
Nonetheless, they are in good condition, and I will keep them that way, while using them as much as possible.
There is something about antique Shotguns and Rifles that just draws me, in a manner that modern weapons never have.
I can appreciate a new weapon, but I never feel any true affinity for them.
Whereas I just fall in love with the old ones, so I guess I must just be old fashioned.
When I hold my Remington, or the New Baker that I just acquired, something resonates within me.
I feel a closeness with history, and with the Americans of days gone by, when appreciation of weapons was a National characteristic.
Nowadays, that attitude of appreciation is far rarer, and becoming moreso on a daily basis.
That is sad to me, as I was raised in a family, where love of fine guns, and most aspects of hunting, fishing, and the outdoor life in general, were inculcated in us from an early age.

Last edited by David Dubose; 07-30-2021 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling and context
David Dubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,791 Times in 3,967 Posts

milt I really like the old ten in its early loadings of 1 1/4 ounce and especially the old 2 7/8 inch 1 5/8 ounce...boy if I had all my old shells I shot in this round...many of a duck and turkey have fell to this load....yes the 1 1/8 ounce loads in the ten are soft on the shoulder....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote