Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 01-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #51
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

[QUOTE=edgarspencer;124739We'll have to agree to disagree on the likability of repros. They may, and probably are good guns, but I have enough variety in my guns, and there's no void that only a repro can fill[/QUOTE]

With all due respect Edgar, and I am aware that everyone is entitled to their opinion, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to come to a Parker Reproduction forum to tell everyone why you don't like Parker Reproductions .
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:30 AM   #52
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Actually, It's a sub-forum of the Parker Gun Collectors Assoc., not the Parker Reproduction Gun Collectors Assoc. (Please don't let that keep you from spending $40 and Joining the PGCA. You'll get 4 issues of the best collector oriented magazine there is, and access to the members only section. They sell repros there too)
Maybe if you're that intimidated by criticism, you ought to get the mods to put a sticky up that says it's only permissible to post if you Love repros.
Just to set the record straight, I never said I hated the gun, and in fact have mildly intimated the opposite. If you're unhappy that I'm not just gushing over them, I can't help you with that.
I recognize it would have made the gun somewhat more expensive had they done the case hardening in bone/leather/organic, as opposed to cyanide. Finding a sufficient quantity of American, or European walnut would have been difficult, and more expensive.
No, I'm not in love with the repro, like I am a Meriden gun. I don't hate it, and if I have enough years left, and wake up some morning unhappy that between the far left, and far right of my 15 Parkers, there is a gun missing, gauge, grade, whatever, I might fill it with a Repro. I've certainly done dumber things than that.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #53
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

I have owned many Parker Shotguns in my life, but never a repro, why? cause they did not make them with external hammers, and they do not have that dark wood and beautiful patterned barrels, but if any body has one in say a 130 years that still earns its keep, let me know, PS please send that letter airmail not ground, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #54
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

There is a place for every shotgun and every shotgun has it's place. My first repo was a straight grip 28 and a lot of Grouse fell to that gun. It was as close as I could get to a Parker with my current financial status or lack thereof at 22 or 23 yrs young.

In todays market for $5K +or- find me a better sxs. I consider myself lucky to have two original Parker 28's today but wouldn't disparage the repro or anyone who wanted one.

Why do these guns generate so much flack? Seems they kinda paved the way for the Galazan Fox (I have one, an FE in 410 and its a great gun also) the M21 also from Galazan, Ithaca Classic doubles to name a few. IMHO the reproduction Parker was ahead of its time and helped in the resurgance of the double gun.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #55
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Actually, It's a sub-forum of the Parker Gun Collectors Assoc., not the Parker Reproduction Gun Collectors Assoc. (Please don't let that keep you from spending $40 and Joining the PGCA. You'll get 4 issues of the best collector oriented magazine there is, and access to the members only section. They sell repros there too)
Maybe if you're that intimidated by criticism, you ought to get the mods to put a sticky up that says it's only permissible to post if you Love repros.
Just to set the record straight, I never said I hated the gun, and in fact have mildly intimated the opposite. If you're unhappy that I'm not just gushing over them, I can't help you with that.
I recognize it would have made the gun somewhat more expensive had they done the case hardening in bone/leather/organic, as opposed to cyanide. Finding a sufficient quantity of American, or European walnut would have been difficult, and more expensive.
No, I'm not in love with the repro, like I am a Meriden gun. I don't hate it, and if I have enough years left, and wake up some morning unhappy that between the far left, and far right of my 15 Parkers, there is a gun missing, gauge, grade, whatever, I might fill it with a Repro. I've certainly done dumber things than that.
Who said you hated them...? And I'm certainly not intimidated by your criticisms. As I said, you're entitled to your opinion. I also never said you needed to "gush over them." I also didn't call this the "Parker Reproduction Gun Collectors Association," however, the part of the forum that you are reading right now is specifically about Parker Reproductions. I don't belong to the PGCA simply because I have no interest in original Parkers, and I'm not a "Collector." Sounds like you may be a bit overly sensitive ?
Unread 01-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #56
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have to ask. Why do you not have interest in original parkers? I can not figure it out.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #57
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernfeld View Post
Sounds like you may be a bit overly sensitive ?
Thank you for your diagnosis, Dr. Bernfield
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #58
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Edgar Dr. COB offers the following RX for being overly sensitive. Take several shots of your favorite adult beverage and watch some OBamma speeches, your blood pressure will rise and some colour will appear in your face but thats ok. You won't be overly sensitive any more
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #59
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Unfortunately, Rich, under real doctors orders I can't crack the label on anything for another week. Yeah, it was a real exciting New Years Eve.
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #60
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Thank you for your diagnosis, Dr. Bernfield
Dr. Bernfeld (not Bernfield) to you !