Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #41
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

In 66 years, I've handled more guns than some, less than others, but think I have a pretty good sense of "feel", as in, it feels "good", or it feels "warm". I have some old shoes like that. They may have been like any other, when they were off-the-shelf new, but now they look like I want them to look, feel like I want them to feel, and slip on an off with ease.
I enjoy the gun shops where you can take anything down and handle it, or even walk out the door to swing it at an imaginary target. Some of the new European doubles feel super, others feel like new shoes. I still see NIB Reproductions, and on occasion will heft one. I don't think any of them have the correct stock profile, especially at the heel of the butt. The radius is much greater than either a Meriden, or Illion gun. There is a resonance in the gun that transmits to the hand when you close it up. Not there for me in a repro, but I may just be tuned to a different frequency.
I had an old Benz diesel wagon that I bought when it was five. I drove it for years, and 300+K miles and lament the day the new owner drove it off. I could have replaced it with new, albeit only recently in a diesel, but I didn't.
I don't have to own something to appreciate it. I went over to CSMC the day after Christmas to exchange my new bore and choke gauge with one that had a micrometer barrel whose threads were more like a machine screw and not like a wine press. The one they sell is a copy of the old Chubbs gauge from England. They had one that worked OK, but before I left, I hefted many Parkers, and gave the Remington commissioned AAHE a good look-over. I spent a lot longer fondling a 230,xxx range AHE 20 with 30 " tubes. They both had eyeball appeal, but the 20 was warm. Sometimes a copy, however good it looks, is just a copy.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I'm pretty sure I know how I like a gun to feel and I have a bunch of Parkers that I like. I don't ask that a gun fit me perfectly because I know I can conform very easily to fit my guns. I know how my guns should feel between my hands and how they should come to my shoulder and how dynamic they should feel when swinging on a target or a gamebird. My Repros do that for me just as well as all of my original Parkers. I think a lot of this "feel" is in the mind of the shooter just as much as it is a physical thing. Repros were made to the exact in every respect, specifications of the original Remington Parkers that were used as patterns to be duplicated. Sometimes in a Repro you get a piece of wood that might be prone to breaking, and it might.... This is why Parker Bros. developed the hickory reinforcement rod through the wrist so I guess they had some complaints too, right?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #43
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
In 66 years, I've handled more guns than some, less than others, but think I have a pretty good sense of "feel", as in, it feels "good", or it feels "warm".I
Not sure what that means, but I too have handled and owned my share of guns, although in only 64 years . Everything from Lebeau Courallys and Holland and Hollands, to Garbis, Grullas, Browning Diana, and many others. I've owned 7 Parker Repros and they felt as good as any of the others to me!
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bernfeld For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #44
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have a Holland & Holland and a Charles Boswell that are both so thin in the wrist it's scary I won't take them out on a winter hunt as a fall will surely break something.

I have had several of the Reproduction Parkers both 20's and 28's back in the day when I couldn't afford an original Parker. I have never had any issue with them and they had single triggers for the majority of them. They are a great gun at a good price.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 02:53 AM   #45
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

When my dad died, he had over 50 side by sides, and more than half were Parkers. The rest were English. If you held one of his H&H 20s in one hand and his Purdey 20 in the other, my description of "warmth" would be more easily understood.
He had a virtually new DHE 20 with 26" barrels and one day brought home a reproduction 20, in all repects, the same gun. To look at either, you felt you were holding a great gun, but to hold the two at the same time, the warmth factor popped right out. He gave that 20 to one off my Nephews, and I'm still trying to figure out how to get it back. The repro went in short order.
I think what I find I like the least of the Repros is the stock and fore end. I also don't like their cyanide case colors, but a little borax and linseed oil cures that fast. I prefer guns with dark wood, and oil finishes. Maybe 'warmth' comes with age, because I have a friend who has a repro 16 with more miles on it than most originals, and it 'feels' good.
My dad's CHE 28 became my daughter's Master's degree, and that's an itch I am still scratching. I know I could get a repro 28 tomorrow, but will wait till the right real one comes along that I can afford. I know it won't be a CHE, but a VH would be just fine. I look at gauge and configuration before grade anyway.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the likability of repros. They may, and probably are good guns, but I have enough variety in my guns, and there's no void that only a repro can fill
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #46
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
But I have enough variety in my guns, and there's no void that only a repro can fill.
I agree, but will say that, at the times that I bought them, there were three Repros that I just had to have.
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #47
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i know the feeling of warmth in your hands its like haveing a parker in one hand and a stevens in the left....but i still have a place in the corner for a few old stevens... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #48
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

I think we should all bow our heads and say a little prayer for Edgar. So, he too; can make room in his heart for a Repro.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #49
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Amen to that!!
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #50
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

That prayer better include lots of fire and chicken feet cuz it's not something the Nuns are gonna be able to pull off on their own.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: