Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 01-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #21
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
To answer a couple of questions. Richland was made by Zabala. A couple of years ago I was going to sell mine for $700 because it has walnut wood and is more embellished, but decided to keep it. If you see one at a gun show, offer $500 and if you get it for $600 you have a solid gun. It is as I said a novelty, as most gun shops want to be rid of them. Very little demand now since the 3.5" 12 gauge, and especially only two shots when you can have five for turkey and deer with an auto or pump.
There was a new in still in the box never fired 711 for sale last year on GI .
Waterfowl hunting is pretty popular here since we have the second biggest lake in the state of GA . I live close enough to the water the waterfowlers wake me up from the shots .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Why would anyone need a 5-shot gun for turkeys or deer?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

dean if you ever hunt deer with dogs and buckshot you will know why you need 5 shots or more....charlie....
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #24
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Why would anyone need a 5-shot gun for turkeys or deer?.
Dean,

We were limited in my state to a maximum of three shells in a gun. Someone went before the game commission and convinced them that there should not be a limit of rounds on game that was not Federally protected. I hated the change because on a deer that is missed once, twice, three times and by now the deer is out of range yet they continue to spray buckshot at up to 100 yards. Someone will get killed by this if it has not already happened. I was rabbit hunting one day and one rabbit hunter in another part of the farm shot five times at a rabbit. Probably a kid. I found the dead rabbit later after they left. I think the change was dangerous. But as Charlie stated, if one cripples one and has fired all three shots, the other two come in handy to keep it from getting away. Also there are others that will try to kill the whole herd as it goes by being run by dogs. That is probably who proposed the change.

With that being said, I found the easiest way to carry extra ammo was in the magazine tube. While I am not very proud of the video link below, you can see the fourth shot came in very handy for me one day. I also learned to hold onto a 3.5" magnum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRrTLnmnVjs&t=208s
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #25
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I would like to hear more about the ten to eight H&R conversion. I have a minty H&R ten that opens up by itself whenever a 3 1/2" ten is fired in it. I don't think it is a good platform for eights. Where can I read about this conversion? My Davenport eight is one fine gun, better than the H&R, and it will get more use when I reactivate my eight gauge loading equipment after my recent move.
You would need to contact ED Hubel on the accuratereloading forum .
He has built some pretty crazy guns . And has done alot of proof testing and load development for modern 8 gauge loads . I never had my h&r 10 gauge open up when firing but the EC Green 10 ga double I had would do that all the time .

Ive always wonder how those 16 gauge on 20 gauge sxs are built and why that is possible but most people considered a 8 on 10 ga frame not possible . Seems going from a 20 ga to 16 is a bigger jump than 10 to 8 ga.
Unread 01-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #26
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
Dean,

We were limited in my state to a maximum of three shells in a gun. Someone went before the game commission and convinced them that there should not be a limit of rounds on game that was not Federally protected. I hated the change because on a deer that is missed once, twice, three times and by now the deer is out of range yet they continue to spray buckshot at up to 100 yards. Someone will get killed by this if it has not already happened. I was rabbit hunting one day and one rabbit hunter in another part of the farm shot five times at a rabbit. Probably a kid. I found the dead rabbit later after they left. I think the change was dangerous. But as Charlie stated, if one cripples one and has fired all three shots, the other two come in handy to keep it from getting away. Also there are others that will try to kill the whole herd as it goes by being run by dogs. That is probably who proposed the change.

With that being said, I found the easiest way to carry extra ammo was in the magazine tube. While I am not very proud of the video link below, you can see the fourth shot came in very handy for me one day. I also learned to hold onto a 3.5" magnum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRrTLnmnVjs&t=208s
We dont have a magazine limit for large game here , but buckshot is illegal for deer on WMA land .
Unread 01-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
dean if you ever hunt deer with dogs and buckshot you will know why you need 5 shots or more....charlie....

I would never hunt deer with dogs and buckshot. I know it was/is popular to do so in some parts of the country - and I don'y intend to offend anyone... and I don't even like drives anymore and only ever participated in two drives... very scary stuff sometimes goes on in a drive.

Unread 01-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #28
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

jerry them big guns will jump outa your hands sometime...really liked the video of the sst ....i bought 5 rouds of that ammo but aint shot nothing with it yet...even bought a box of 20 ga tss....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #29
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I would never hunt deer with dogs and buckshot. I know it was/is popular to do so in some parts of the country - and I don'y intend to offend anyone... and I don't even like drives anymore and only ever participated in two drives... very scary stuff sometimes goes on in a drive

Dean,

In my county rifles were illegal for over sixty years due to an incident involving a local politician's/courthouse crew's wife nearly being shot. As one of the family members told me when we tried to get rifles legalized in the county back in the 90s "you'll never use a rifle in this county as long as I'm alive"(he's still alive). So buckshot was it. I kill most of my deer without dogs and with buckshot. Lose very few. So dogs and buckshot became the tradition (with a rifle in the pickup gun rack) for most hunters. Only last year did rifles become legal again, but we went through the slow progression from muzzle-loaders, to slugs, then to rifles without anyone being killed.

The opponents came out of the woodwork. One woman testified that rifles should not be legalized in the county because terrorists would come in and use them to overtake the nuclear power plant!
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 01-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #30
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Jerry, I'm good with still-hunting, stalking, stand hunting, tree-stand hunting, ground blind hunting but I draw the line (for myself at least) at baiting and running dogs for deer. Again, that's just me.

IMO, and I have nothing to back up my opinion, Buckshot in the woods where there are other hunters - even those, and maybe especially those, in your own party - is more dangerous than a well-directed single bullet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: