Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #31
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,538 Times in 4,621 Posts

The standard hammerless frame size (and the only one I have ever seen) for an 8g was the 6 frame. That is a big difference from 3 to 6. As Bill stated, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for an 8g to be built on a 3 frame. Parker did build some super heavy 10s on the 6 frame.

The 4 frame is more of a hammer gun frame size, 7 as well. Come to think of it... was a 5 frame ever made in any configuration? I have never heard of it.
Unread 07-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #32
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
The standard hammerless frame size (and the only one I have ever seen) for an 8g was the 6 frame. That is a big difference from 3 to 6. As Bill stated, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for an 8g to be built on a 3 frame. Parker did build some super heavy 10s on the 6 frame.

The 4 frame is more of a hammer gun frame size, 7 as well. Come to think of it... was a 5 frame ever made in any configuration? I have never heard of it.
It's listed on the pgca page about frame sizes so is a 10 ga on a #7 . But couldn't do d amything on such a beast
I guess what I was asking is for a 10 ga frame how big does the #3 compare in size to things like the mid magnums or silver hawks. I've read those are big hefty guns . I think there is a #4 for sale right now it's a 10 ga hammer gun at almost 11lbs . Did parker offer did barrel weights ? Most of their #3s seem to all be in the 9lb range . Also I look at ithaca flues time to time and they seem to be in the 9lb range also but seen one for sale at 11lbs ! So I'm wondering if back I. Those days if ordering heavier barrels was a option or maybe just a larger variance in the barrels made from gun to gun ?
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #33
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry for the spelling errors im on a 2000 mile road trip over the next 2 days and some of these interstates feel like riding a horse haha . I meant to say #5 is a frame listed on the pgca frame size page .
Unread 07-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #34
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,865 Times in 4,753 Posts

I have seen #5 frame hammer guns, but they were very early and very scarce. If a Parker is ordered at a certain weight, the work room would determine what frame is used. Sometimes, a smaller frame is selected and the weight is determined by the barrel weight. Sometimes, a heavier frame is selected and the selected weight is finished by using lighter barrels or stock. An example is the 1/2 frame. They are finished up at weights from 6 1/4 pounds to 8 1/4 pounds.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #35
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,865 Times in 4,753 Posts

The chart of frame sizes on this website has been updated from the original chart from The Parker Story because of input from posters on our forum. The only frame-gauge combination I am aware of that is not listed on this site is the #2 frame 16 gauge, another observed but rare combination. Good work on the part of our webmaster.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #36
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

Bill, nearly all the later information on those pages has been an ongoing project of Robin Lewis. He has updated all the FAQs and a great deal of other information on the links at the left of the HOME page.

Thank You Robin!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #37
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Robin is one of the great unsung heroes behind the PGCA.

I have been looking for a 5 frame. I have 2 4's
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #38
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

What is a "bonehill?" A pile of old abandoned barrels?
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #39
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Milton, We hope you got enough benefit of being a member of the PGCA to re-up. We think it’s a great value and I wouldn’t be surprised that you find ao gun on the forum that you can’t live without.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #40
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKinney View Post
Milton, We hope you got enough benefit of being a member of the PGCA to re-up. We think it’s a great value and I wouldn’t be surprised that you find ao gun on the forum that you can’t live without.
Oh I plan to get a annual membership as soon as I find my first parkers . I love the history here and the stories about vintage doubles . Im a young fellow at 26 but i love researching all the different sxs from that era especially parkers .

The gun In question I was wondering if it was a #4 is this one http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory/Ant38175
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post: