Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Need help identifying English 410 Hammer Gun
Unread 12-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
John Gardner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Need help identifying English 410 Hammer Gun

Hi all, Picked this up several years ago and having trouble learning about the maker/brand.

It is a 410 steel barrel nitro proofed hammer gun marked C.S.S. ALd ('d' is subscript to the 'L') London. The barrels carry the BSA stacked rifles logo with BSA under the stack.

Barrels are 27" and LOP is 14" to checkered wooden butt. Gun seems to be in good original condition but may have been refinished - if so it was well done.

Outfit I bought it from said it came out of the Bob Timberlake collection - only Bob Timberlake I know of is from North Carolina and a major furniture designer (actually have a couple of his pcs and he's got a clothing line at BassPro. Don't know if this is the correct Bob Timberlake).

I have enclosed several pics and hoping someone like Mr. Campbell may be able to help identify if C.S.S ALd was a trading house or? Thanks in advance
John G Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit John G Gardner's homepage!
410 hammer
Unread 12-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 410 hammer

Could be it was Mae and sold by the Army Navy CSL Store. They did not make their guns but had them made by Scott Webley etc and sold them from their Army Navy Stores. I have owned a beautiful Army navy box lock 450 BPE that felled a few deer and lots of hogs. Well built and 70% engraving like your gun. that's just my opinion. little 410 English guns had to come by with long socks as most were made for woman and kids. Good luck hope I am on target with what you needed.
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
English .410
Unread 12-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,530 Times in 376 Posts

Default English .410

Kirby Hoyt of Vintage Doubles deals, almost exclusively, in English guns. I would guess if you sent him those pictures he could tell you what you have.
kirby@vintagedoubles.com
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
John Gardner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you David, The Gentleman that pointed out the BSA Stacked Rifles logo (I missed that entirely) suggested the same thing about the Army Navy Stores. I'll try to dig further on that.
Unread 12-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
John Gardner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you for the suggestion Larry, I'll reach out to Kirby.
The Following User Says Thank You to John G Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Here's a bit of background on CSS Ltd. (the retailer of this gun), courtesy of my friend Robert Hodges in the UK:

Civil Service Supply Association Limited (L'd).

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Civil Service Supply Association was a department store on the Strand, London. Founded in the 1860s on Victoria Street, the shop moved to the Strand in the following decade, remaining open until 1982.
History

In 1864, a group of clerks in the General Post Office joined together to buy a half chest of tea. Their first transaction resulted in them saving 9 pence to the pound, and they decided to extend their purchasing to coffee, sugar and other grocery products.[1]

In January 1865, they formed the Post Office Supply Association, a co-operative with forty members. The co-operative was so successful that by April the scheme had been opened up to all civil servants and the name changed to the Civil Service Supply Association.[1] Civil servants could purchase tickets for 2 shillings and sixpence, which would entitle them to purchase goods at the store or from firms associated with the association.[2]

Their first premises were on Victoria Street, but by 1877 they had moved to 425 Strand, a building designed by architects Lockwood & Mawson.[3] In 1927, the co-operative was incorporated as a private company, becoming a fully fledged department store and severing its links with the Civil Service. The building was completely rebuilt at this time in the art deco style.[4] The store remained open until 1982 when it was closed following a severe fire.[1]
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2019, 12:32 AM   #7
John Gardner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mr. Campbell you never fail to impress! Thank you good Sir! I was completely unsuccessful trying to learn about C.S.S. Thanks again to everyone. Cheers JG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John G Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Barrels are BSA, I would be curious about those, your action could be just about anyone from the trade, my guess would possibly start with Midland.
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Timber Guy's estate was sold a few years ago, probably by Brunk Auctions in Ashville, NC. He was a man for all seasons. (I can't spell renaissance).
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
John Gardner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Timber Guy's estate was sold a few years ago, probably by Brunk Auctions in Ashville, NC. He was a man for all seasons. (I can't spell renaissance).
Many Thanks Bill, I will look into Brunk Auctions.