Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Chomping at the bit
Unread 09-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Allan McLane
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Chomping at the bit

In a PM to me earlier today, a certain magazine editor and BOD member allowed as how he is quite ready for the opening of bird season in Vermont in a couple of weeks. Me too! Right now I'm in Maine and, as it happens, the local fishwrap has a good article on partridge hunting here and the outlook for the upcoming season. It remains to be seen how well Vermont's season pans out...

In a recent study commissioned by Maine Fish and Wildlife found that bird hunters contributed mightily to the state economy in 2013 alone [sorry but I can't get the posting editor to format this table correctly]:

Table E1. Participation and spending by hunters in Maine, 2013.
Activity Hunters Total Annual Expenditures
Deer 136,796 $68,178,813
Upland game birds 81,766 $47,260,061
Turkey 37,375 $15,050,248
Migratory waterfowl 21,656 $17,324,004
Bear 21,153 $35,376,590
Moose 13,033 $15,793,765
Small game 50,007 $32,639,766
Hunting Total 162,075 $231,623,247

After excerpting a separate study of radio-tagged grouse which ends, "... The researchers have indicated that they are encountering other broods in the study areas on a routine basis. Regional biologists with 'boots on the ground' also report good numbers of grouse in their travels," the author, who is a Maine Guide, ends with, "I’m predicting a good year for grouse, statewide."

Article here:
http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/spo...grouse-outlook

The Maine study is here: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/pdfs/ME_Hun...10-06-2014.pdf
allan.mclane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allan.mclane For Your Post:
Unread 09-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

I have heard just the opposite on the grouse numbers in Maine for this fall. From what I have read the grouse suffered severe winter kill this past winter and the numbers will be down. I suppose a guide may not want this to be known, as it will be bad for business.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 09-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Tenth Legion
PGCA Member

Member Info

Last winter was severe in Maine and a telemetry study on Maine grouse showed heavy losses. Nesting and brood rearing conditions were excellent for Maine's ground nesting birds. My contribution to the wild turkey August brood survey yielded 68 sightings; 118 toms, 130 hens and 285 poults for 533 total birds. In the better habitat numbers will be strong for turkey, grouse and woodcock. Populations may be spotty in marginal habitat. We expect excellent hunting, and yes, I am a guide, just one who is not trying to sell a hunt;-)
Unread 09-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

Well... over on the Vermont side of the Northern three-state tier the statewide prediction for ruffed grouse numbers is "average" whatever the heck that means.... five years ago we experienced a peak population year - the very next year we experienced a very poor year in terms of drummers counted in spring and birds flushed in the fall - and it has been a roller-coaster ride ever since. So, I think "average" is a dodge because the biologists just don't know from one management area to the next.

Woodcock, on the other hand, are where you find them.... as always

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Allan McLane
PGCA Member

Member Info

We had a good-old-fashioned winter in SEVT and I have a feeling, based on my time in the woods this year so far, that things are a little quieter than usual (could be my advancing hearing loss though). This spring I heard three separate drummers while sitting on turkey stand but I saw only one hen grouse with little ones during the summer. Woodcock seen is about normal.

Here's another Maine article... Maybe the state bird biologist is just trying to save his job:
http://outthere.bangordailynews.com/...gists-unfazed/
The Following User Says Thank You to allan.mclane For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Allan, thanks for sharing that article, it is an interesting read.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
Allan McLane
PGCA Member

Member Info

Another link discussing the Maine grouse study project:
http://www.maine.gov/wordpress/insid...earch-project/

And, numerous links to grouse-related info:
https://sites.google.com/site/erikjb...he-grouse-nerd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allan.mclane For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I'm hearing good things about birds in the Upper Peninsula. Birds or no birds October is a wonderful month to be out enjoying the splendor of fall with a good gun and your best hunting buddy.

I'll head north Oct 2 for a month or so.
Unread 09-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
Quail1
Forum Associate

Member Info

I decided to come home early from Alaska due to very low water.
So yesterday I checked 3 of my grouse spots.
It looks like there are very good numbers.
After walking only 15 minutes, Dot locked up a nice point, and up they came. I doubled, and there were at least 5 birds in the rise.
They were both birds of the year. I didn't try to follow, but shortly had another point that I had no shot on. Five minutes later another with 4 birds that I could see. I decided to look at another area about 10 minutes away, heading for a seep, which is where I found the first birds. We were immediately into birds. Dot and Cholla(Choya) traded points for the next 7 birds, over the course of only one hour! I shot at one, and the dogs retrieved it. I passed on the others, deciding they were all youngsters. At the third spot further up the same canyon, a bird flushed as soon as I let the dogs out. I spent about an hour there and shot my last bird, filling our 4 bird limit. I dropped the last bird and my 28 Repro back at the truck and let the dogs run. We had a number of additional points and some wild flushes. I checked my counter at 3:30 pm and it was on 27!

The birds were all very close to water. It felt almost unfair.
I'm going to leave these alone for a couple weeks to mature a bit more. But I am very excited to see such numbers. I'll be checking other spots this week and have high hopes for more good production numbers.

It was great to get out, but the temps were in the low 80's and it is very dry. We are supposed to have rain this next week. I hope it will allow the grouse to get a bit further away from the obvious water sources where they are so vulnerable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (616.8 KB, 3 views)
Fred Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Lowe For Your Post: