Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-30-2021, 07:07 AM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,538 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Gustafson View Post
Thank you. That’s not a small plot. He had 10 children, but only 5 lived to adulthood.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...charles-parker
There are 21 graves in the 18'x32' family plot. It is not only the Charles Parker family plot, but the resting place of (some of) the Edmund Parker family, and the John Parker family. Keith Bedard and I spent about 30 hours last year repairing, re-erecting, and anchoring those stones which had been broken.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,861 Times in 4,750 Posts

Thanks, Edgar and Keith, for doing this important work. Do we have pictures of the many stones?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Thanks, Edgar and Keith, for doing this important work. Do we have pictures of the many stones?
Yes, Dozens. The original intention of a PP article has been put on hold, in part by the editor's restriction to 3 photographs.
Unread 03-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #14
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I’m afraid Allan, Edgar, and Keith have not been properly thanked at this point. So far they have spent many hours of work and planning to get these graves properly taken care of. As spring progresses they plan to really get everything up to speed so as to minimize long term maintainence, knowing full well in order for these graves not to deteriorate again they will have to be looked after as they are in a municipal cemetery and the town evidently has given up on keeping the cemetery up.
I’m a long way from Meriden, but I would guarantee that Allan, Edgar, and Keith will work on this project to completion so that we as PGCA members, the Parker family, and others will be proud of what is done. In the meantime a big THANKS should go to these three and be prepared to keep it up after the facelift is complete.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,225 Times in 12,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
The original intention of a PP article has been put on hold, in part by the editor's restriction to 3 photographs.

New regime - New rules I guess, but I don't think that policy serves the PGCA community very well. It is not my intent to start a firestorm, and no offense intended toward our fine Parker Pages editorial team - they're doing a great job. I'm just offering my honest opinion.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #16
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mike Mckinney's comment is sincerely appreciated.

I am of the belief that the Parker brothers are really the fundamental reason the PGCA even exists. By 'Brothers' I am referring to Charles, John, and Edmund. It's merely an intellectual argument whether the three men, above are the 'Brothers', or, do we mean Wilbur, Charles Eddy, and Dexter. Each of these generations are collectively inseparable Principals of the Charles Parker Co, and the Parker Brothers Company.

The Generosity, Ethics, Vision and Entrepreneurial skill of Charles, the Father, were genetically embedded in all of these men. Were it not for them, the City of Meriden may have taken an entirely different course.

Meriden is no different than most every city in every state. Their resources are limited, and directed where it will do the most good for those, that live there, Today. The condition of the cemetery, as a whole, and the Parker Family plot is not out of lack of respect. It is simply the lack of municipal resources. Discussions are currently ongoing for the PGCA to assume the responsibility for a respectful program of regular maintenance. Allan, Keith and I may have been responsible for starting the ball rolling, but the ultimate form of whatever comes out of this is between Allan, and the board. The idea of volunteer activities is appreciated, but I think it's premature, and may undermine those discussions.

As I said, above, these men are the fundamental reason our organization exists. They are the foundation of our interest and it doesn't make any difference whether we're only here because of the gun, or our interest in history, or both.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,225 Times in 12,373 Posts

I'm here for all things Parker, which in fact can be found in every chapter of The Parker Story.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #18
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,252 Posts

I'm here because of Edgar's terrific and wry sense of humor. lol
Really here because my grandfather (on the Newell side), and his four sons all owned and shot Parkers. And spoke of the Parker family often. It was considered heresy in our household not to carry a Parker when out for New England grouse and woodcock.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #19
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

I'm here because all of your wives, sons and daughters pay me on the side to keep this forum running so they always know where the collective "you" are hanging out. Some even pay me extra to keep you out of trouble from time to time....

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it....

John D.
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2021, 05:02 PM   #20
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dunkle View Post
I'm here because all of your wives, sons and daughters pay me on the side to keep this forum running so they always know where the collective "you" are hanging out. Some even pay me extra to keep you out of trouble from time to time....

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it....

John D.
Clearly, My wife isn't paying you enough................
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: