Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim DiSpagno View Post
14 gauge guns were more prevalent in Europe during the last half of the nineteenth century and that reflected in the 14 ga being made here to satisfy the wants of wealthy immigrants. Once WW1 started all munition production went towards military use. That was the end for the 14
I must admit I usually only focus on the big guns but the 14 gauge does sound interesting . I seen a nice one that sold on gi at some point a grade 1 hammerless serial # 74117 . I think it was listed as a #1 frame .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #12
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, I think the answer to your question is when they had enough 16 and 14 ga. guns they were run as a lot so that they could reduce setups, thus cost. 10 and 12 ga. guns were Parkers bread and butter; stopping a 12ga.run to do one 14ga. makes no sense.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,231 Times in 12,375 Posts

I don't disagree but if you look in the back of VOL II of The Parker Story for the section on all serial numbers of 14 gauge guns and then look them up in the Serialization book you will see single 14 gauge guns in among 10's and 12's.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #14
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Serial numbers of Parkers has always meant to me when an order has been placed for a gun accept for stock or guns such as the first Invincible. I am sure Parker made an effort to duplicate manufacturing processes and if orders didn't begin until they had a sufficient quantity to begin production of those guages so be it. The letters on my guns which I have ordered vary from delivery of less than a month to more than 5 months which means the delivery process was not consistent. It would be interesting to see the delivery date of the 14 ga. in comparision to the ones surrounding it.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

It would be helpful if the records showed 14ga. guns were ordered, instead of made for stock.
Knowing the order of operations would also be useful, but there are as many opinions as there are operations. Rough boring was likely done before fitting and action filing, and finish boring was almost certainly done after finish filing of the action, and striking the barrels.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: