Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 02-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jeff,
Do you reload? I see a lot of threads in here on the 10 gauge and a lot of guys reload. I will be calling you soon about the pheasant farm too. Haven't been able to shoot your (my new) gun yet because of weather.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Track of the Wolf sells Rocky Mountain shells with the Parker name on them. I see their business is up for sale, so if you want some better get your order in. I think most guys will agree with me that if you see a moderate 12ga load it will be safe in a 10ga. The chambers are bigger in diameter so there's more area for the pressure to exert on. A lot of the guys like 19grs of RD and a 1 1/8oz load. I like that with 1oz for clay birds or 23grs of GD.
Do you possibly have an 1 1/4 and/or 1 1/2 load using BD or W572 ? I already use the 1 1/8 RD load and I’ll add the GD load as well . I now have plenty SR7625 to last me with all the 10 gauge 1 1/4 , buck and slug loads I wanna shoot . But I have 10 pounds BD and 8 pounds 572 I oughtta use for something .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Do you possibly have an 1 1/4 and/or 1 1/2 load using BD or W572 ? I already use the 1 1/8 RD load and I’ll add the GD load as well . I now have plenty SR7625 to last me with all the 10 gauge 1 1/4 , buck and slug loads I wanna shoot . But I have 10 pounds BD and 8 pounds 572 I oughtta use for something .
Check the current Hodgdon reloading site. They have recently listed three low pressure 1 1/4 ounce 2 7/8" 10ga loads. One uses 572 and another uses IMR Blue. It is my understanding that IMR Blue can be substituted for Alliant Blue Dot and vice versa but I would double check that info first.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
Unread 02-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Check the current Hodgdon reloading site. They have recently listed three low pressure 1 1/4 ounce 2 7/8" 10ga loads. One uses 572 and another uses IMR Blue. It is my understanding that IMR Blue can be substituted for Alliant Blue Dot and vice versa but I would double check that info first.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
I heard the same about BD vs Blue , RD vs Red , GD vs Green and something they’ve come out with that’s supposed to be the same as Unique .

They showed 27.5 grains of W572 with 1 1/4 ounce and a 1/4" 16 gauge card in the SP-10 shotcup . And 35.2 of Blue with the same thing . I may try and load a few of each tomorrow or next week .
Unread 02-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
Jeff S.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
Jeff,
Do you reload? I see a lot of threads in here on the 10 gauge and a lot of guys reload. I will be calling you soon about the pheasant farm too. Haven't been able to shoot your (my new) gun yet because of weather.
I do not reload at this time, but depending on how often I shoot a 10 ga. I may have learn how to do it. We'll see......
Jeff Stegmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stegmeier View Post
I do not reload at this time, but depending on how often I shoot a 10 ga. I may have learn how to do it. We'll see......
By no means am I trying to tell you what to do , but I'd suggest going to a friends house that reloads shotgun shells and learn loading plain old 12 or 20 gauge shells before deciding to start with the 10 gauge stuff . While loading the 10 isn't difficult it helps to start with something a bit easier and working your way up .

Now with that being said and you decide to go to a friends make sure they let you learn on a single stage press as that's about the only thing you can get for a 10 gauge that's reasonably priced . A progressive 10 gauge is going to cost about $1100 by the time it gets to you . Ponsness Warren makes the only progressive 10 gauge I know of and base cost is $1050 I believe now and if you want them to adapt it for 2 7/8" that's another $35 plus whatever it costs to get it to you .
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
Jeff S.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
By no means am I trying to tell you what to do , but I'd suggest going to a friends house that reloads shotgun shells and learn loading plain old 12 or 20 gauge shells before deciding to start with the 10 gauge stuff . While loading the 10 isn't difficult it helps to start with something a bit easier and working your way up .

Now with that being said and you decide to go to a friends make sure they let you learn on a single stage press as that's about the only thing you can get for a 10 gauge that's reasonably priced . A progressive 10 gauge is going to cost about $1100 by the time it gets to you . Ponsness Warren makes the only progressive 10 gauge I know of and base cost is $1050 I believe now and if you want them to adapt it for 2 7/8" that's another $35 plus whatever it costs to get it to you .
Thanks for the advice. 30 years ago I reloaded 12 ga. shells because I was shooting in a trap league. I have a MEC jr that I used for those shells. However, I have not been reloading since then. The cost savings was marginal, and with a family, time gets precious so it's been easier to just buy ammo. However, if I find that I enjoy shooting this 10 ga., I may want to re-enter the world of reloading. This stuff's a little pricey. We'll see, but fortunately there are a lot of really nice, and knowledgeable, people on this web site to keep me on the right (and safe) path. At the moment the gun is at the "smith's" for a little tweaking to one hammer.
Jeff Stegmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Stegmeier For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stegmeier View Post
Thanks for the advice. 30 years ago I reloaded 12 ga. shells because I was shooting in a trap league. I have a MEC jr that I used for those shells. However, I have not been reloading since then. The cost savings was marginal, and with a family, time gets precious so it's been easier to just buy ammo. However, if I find that I enjoy shooting this 10 ga., I may want to re-enter the world of reloading. This stuff's a little pricey. We'll see, but fortunately there are a lot of really nice, and knowledgeable, people on this web site to keep me on the right (and safe) path. At the moment the gun is at the "smith's" for a little tweaking to one hammer.
I've shot the 10 gauge for years . I originally started loading for it with a Ponsness Warren 375C 30+ years ago , however they were all 3 1/2" (I was shooting a Remington SP-10 a lot at that time) . Now I've got a 600 JR and a Sizemaster for the 10 gauge both setup for 2 7/8" . If I keep at it I expect eventually I'll get a Ponsness Warren LS-1000 for the 10 gauge set at 2 7/8" just for dove/skeet/trap loads (I've been saying this for about 5 years now). And I'll keep the Sizemaster for buckshot , slugs and bismuth .
Unread 02-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Craig:

Not what you asked about, but I have a nice 1 3/8 oz. Blue Dot load:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...light=Blue+dot

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

In my Allaint hand book in a Rem shell 1 5/8oz 43.5grs BD gives 1285fps/8500psi. I'd go down a bit, maybe 40grs with a 1 1/4oz load. 1 1/4oz with 29grs of GD gives 1265fps/8800psi. Go down to maybe 26grs for a little less velocity and pressure. Good luck. Paul
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!