Notices

Cast and Blast
Unread 01-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Default Cast and Blast

I was just taking some different pictures of guns today as most of my Parker pictures are on the tailgate of my truck or on my kitchen table. At some point I grabbed a fly rod and thought these two looked nice together...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Castandblast.jpg (304.4 KB, 16 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

A splendid match!

Please tell us about your grade 2 Lifter as well as your cane rod and the reel that goes with it. Looks like a Lefty's Deceiver so I would guess the rod takes at least a 7 weight line.

Got to agree that these fine old guns, their accoutrements and the game they take look a lot better in a more natural setting than on a tailgate.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean, That's a 1880 Grade 2 Equivalent 12 gauge #2Frame Lifter with 32" Damascus barrels. It has been my "new" trap gun I was asking questions about in another post. I shot sporting clays with it this afternoon and that gun and I are working very well together.

The fishing rod is a 1952 9wt Orvis 2 piece 9 1/2 ft. bamboo rod paired with a FinNor #2 Wedding Cake reel. I went the extra mile and tied that Deceiver myself(good eye on that by the way...). I am using a floating line with a 10' class 3 sinking tip. I have caught some nice 22"-26" stripers on this set up, but I am still searching for that big one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Oliver View Post
The fishing rod is a 1952 9wt Orvis 2 piece 9 1/2 ft. bamboo rod paired with a FinNor #2 Wedding Cake reel. I went the extra mile and tied that Deceiver myself(good eye on that by the way...). I am using a floating line with a 10' class 3 sinking tip. I have caught some nice 22"-26" stripers on this set up, but I am still searching for that big one.
I can't even guess at the number of Deceivers I have tied in the last three decades - probably one of the very best baitfish imitating flies, in all its variations, ever developed. You want a big cow striper?... go deeper - fish the holes... and have another bowl of Wheaties!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2019, 01:02 AM   #5
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I don't wan't to make it sound like I was complaining about catching fish. It's just that rod will just handle something bigger and I am looking forward to that day

I used to almost always fish clousers exclusively in saltwater, but I am using more and more deceivers the last few years. In addition, I can't bring myself to use a clouser on a bamboo rod...it just doesn't look/feel right.
Unread 01-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Jay you need a good 4 weight Orvis rod to go with that beast?
Unread 01-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I would worry about nicking a nice bamboo rod with a clouser, or any fly with “lead” eyes for weight. It shouldn’t ever happen if you’re casting properly but that rare time when “the wind takes it” is often enough.

Unread 01-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Jay, this summer give me a call. Come up and fly fish buzzards bay out of a Whaler we have. Bring a 9 or 10 wt with a 350 or 400 grain full sink line with weighted deceivers. You will slay stripers for sure.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Fly rod reels and flies
Unread 01-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Fly rod reels and flies

Great dialog and I covet your Wedding Cake reel. The stories bring back memories when I was privileged to fish Belize in 1980 after digesting Lefty's book about fly fishing the flats. I tied up some deceivers , grabbed my trusty 9 wt. Fenwick 9' by 91/2' graphite rod and FinNor direct drive #2. First time ever to tackle tarpon on the fly and I was proud to land an 80 pounder in about 3' gin clear water.off Ambergis Cay. Boy was I hooked, most explosive action on a rod and reel!!! Enjoy you guys as we are blessed to be partakers of such grand sport not to mention our shotguns!
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have broken the tip off a graphite rod in with a clouser in the wind. I think a deceiver just looks better(in and out of the water) and I usually tie mine weighted. I have also caught some nice fish on a half and half which is a bigger clouser tied with feathers. I had always wanted a wedding cake reel and bought this one a few years ago. I also like billy pate reels direct drive and anti reverse.

David that sounds like a great trip. I would like to go to Belize and I always checkout the pictures from Turnefette Island. I caught one tarpon in my life on a fly rod. I was by myself and it was nothing huge for a tarpon 40-50 pounds, but that was too much fun. It was in St. John in the Virgin Islands on my second cast

Allen, yes let's plan a trip this summer! I have never fished up that way and I know we would have a great time.

To get back to shotguns...the lifter in the picture has become one of my favorites. It has more drop at heel than my other guns at 3 1/8" which took me awhile to get used to. Now I don't even think about it when I shoot it. It's funny though, I have shot that gun more in the past 2-3 months than I have in the past 3 years. I actually have a few Parkers like that, ones I almost thought about selling for one reason or another that I shoot all the time now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: