Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 07-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

I would start by contacting Wenig's & talking the situation over with them. They did the work & they are the ones that need to make it right!!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Update: I contacted Wenig and they are taking full responsibility for the error and are happy to correct it. I offered to send them another blank next week and they said they will turn it around as soon as they receive it. Other than the error, seem to be a good bunch of folks to work with so far. I'll update this thread when I receive the new stock. Thanks for all the comments!
Frank Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Wilson For Your Post:
Unread 07-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Will you receive full compensation for the blank they ruined for you?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #14
Allan McLane
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Will you receive full compensation for the blank they ruined for you?
Maybe he should keep it (at no charge) for his own purposes later, especially if it's a nicely figured piece.
allan.mclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 02:20 AM   #15
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

That's exactly what I've decided Allan. Maybe I'll find a project 0 frame that needs new wood someday and can go thru with the process of converting a PG to a straight grip. Would be different had I paid a several hundred dollars for the blank but I'm fortunate enough to have a friend that runs a commercial sawmill just down the road with a lot of walnut slabs. I paid $50 bucks for it (plus $28 to ship to them) and was able find another great looking piece yesterday with great figure and even some nice straight grain through the wrist. Just hope it turns out half as nice as the figure in the first one after it's turned.
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Frank, we would like to see pictures of your gun and the work that Wenig did. I'm surprised that they inletted the stock without having the gun in hand.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #17
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Frank, was the walnut blank you bought from your friend's saw mill 'cured' sufficiently for stock work?
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Glad to hear Wenig's is standing behind their work. Good luck with the project !!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #19
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good question BRDHNTR. The blank tested at 11% moisture and they called to explain that they prefer the wood to be no more than 9% and that there was a risk that the stock could crack during the milling process due to the higher moisture content. I had to email them a waiver stating I understood the risk and that they would not be liable for replacing the blank if it cracked. I agreed but they waited a couple of months before milling. There were no problems with cracking, just the wrong (straight) grip unfortunately. I am actually going to be delivering the new blank AND the receiver and current stock next Friday and they are going to mill it while I'm there. My sawmill buddy tested the new blank at 11% also so he is keeping it in his kiln as we speak and I'll pick it up on Thursday before my 5 hour road trip to central Missouri. I've read where its best if the wood has dried naturally for years for gunstock work but some of the prices I've seen online for wood with the kind of figure I can get for $50 locally is a little over the top. Besides, I just think it would be pretty cool for this Parker to have a great looking stock made from local walnut. I think I may buy a few blanks with great figure in them and put them up to use a few years from now.
Really looking forward to my visit as I hope to wind up with a better stock by actually letting them see the gun and maybe make sure the LOP is a good fit etc... I will try to post pics of the straight grip stock that Wenig did here in a bit. Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Wilson For Your Post:
Wenig straight grip
Unread 07-06-2015, 12:23 AM   #20
Frank Wilson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Wenig straight grip

This is the inletted straight grip stock from Wenig. I've wiped with water to show the grain.image.jpg
You can view a few more pics of this stock in my album.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Wilson For Your Post: