Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Kerner 16x16-7x57R
Unread 06-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Default Kerner 16x16-7x57R

Got some Brenneke slugs for the Kerner early this week so when I went to the range Wednesday afternoon I decided to try them along with REM , WIN and Federal slugs . Shot three shot groups out of the right barrel with all four slugs , three shot groups out of the left barrel with all three slugs and finally a right and left group with all except the REM slugs (only brought 6 of the REM slugs !

Now the right and left groups .

I need to break down and go on and buy a set of NECG rings to be fit in the mounts on this gun . But at $250+ they may have to wait awhile . As to the slugs I suspect over time I'll try and kill a deer with each of the four but once that's done I'm going straight Brenneke I think !

FWIW , after shooting 30 slugs 15 per barrel it takes a bit more work getting the barrels smudge free then I had anticipated . But on the other hand not that difficult . Generally I never shoot more then 5 or 6 per barrel when I'm at the range .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 06-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Looks like a really nice sidelock drilling would like to see more pics of it. My pre -war drillings have 2.5" or 65mm chambers so I haven't been able to shoot slugs until this 2.5" product from Brenneke was released. I have been using it with good success. Have you tested it?

Are your scope bases the Akah type slide on or claw?

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/brenneke16.html
KCordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCordell View Post
Looks like a really nice sidelock drilling would like to see more pics of it. My pre -war drillings have 2.5" or 65mm chambers so I haven't been able to shoot slugs until this 2.5" product from Brenneke was released. I have been using it with good success. Have you tested it?

Are your scope bases the Akah type slide on or claw?

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/brenneke16.html
I dunno what you call the mounts but it hooks in the front base and snaps closed in the rear .

I wouldn't be surprised if the chambers in this gun aren't 2 9/16" but I've been shooting 2 3/4" in it with no ill effects .

I have two other hammer drillings that are 16 gauge but I'm a bit apprehensive to shoot these factory loads in them so I just reload #1 Buck for them .
Incidently I ordered some more of these Brenneke slugs from Jerry's last week and happened to notice they have a goodly supply of the 2 1/2" slugs as well for a few more cents a box .
Unread 06-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think if I get motivated to go to the range next week I'll take some factory loaded buckshot for this drilling and see how it does at 25 yards again . I know I have Federal and Winchester on the shelf downstairs but I may have some Remington as well . If I'm not mistaken when I tried the chokes a year or two ago with the flat gauge both barrels were tight and tighter .
Unread 07-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Got to the range a little early to try some buckshot in the drilling at 25 yards !

Winchester factory #1 Buck ,

Federal factory #1 Buck ,

And handloaded #1 Buck pushed with Unique .

Shot the Brenneke slugs at 50 yards . The right barrel hits a little high at 50 yards like maybe 3 inches but it's plenty good enough . The left barrel however hit way low , I think I wanna try this again next week .
Unread 07-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

If I think about it Saturday or Sunday I'll try and put together a few of the 7x57R loads with the Hornady 154 SP bullet . I have a few loaded but I wanna get some fresh ones loaded as well . And if that happens I may as well try those at 50 and 100 yards with the crude sights .

Also wanna load maybe 6-10 of the #1 Buck but this time add some buffer to see what happens .

And of course bring a couple pair of the Brenneke slugs for another go or two at 50 yards . I can't help but think I mighta moved the gun for the left barrel shot at 50 yards .
Unread 07-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

With double rifles and drillings: If the shots cross the bullets are to light or to fast. If the bullets shoot apart they are to heavy or to slow. Your drilling is crossing. Try a heavier bullet and or a slower bullet. With shotgun velocities, an inch or two spread at 25 yards (left on the left and right on the right) you should have a close group at 100 yards. I am envious. Always wanted a drilling and 7x57 is an all around great cartridge. You might go with a standard 175 grain load at modest velocities.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2015, 12:25 AM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

lokks like you got a newdeer killer to me them slugs should flatten a deer at any modest range..i have a drilling in the same configuration you have except one of my 16 ga barrels has a 22 magnum insert in it...i ve lilled a few deer with my rifle on it which also is the 7x57r this is a great round....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2015, 12:38 AM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
With double rifles and drillings: If the shots cross the bullets are to light or to fast. If the bullets shoot apart they are to heavy or to slow. Your drilling is crossing. Try a heavier bullet and or a slower bullet. With shotgun velocities, an inch or two spread at 25 yards (left on the left and right on the right) you should have a close group at 100 yards. I am envious. Always wanted a drilling and 7x57 is an all around great cartridge. You might go with a standard 175 grain load at modest velocities.
Since all the slugs are factory loads it is what it is .

I have two drillings and one combo gun that the rifles are chambered for 7x57R . Nice enough cartridge but I kinda want one on 6.5x57R .
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 07-03-2015, 12:41 AM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
lokks like you got a newdeer killer to me them slugs should flatten a deer at any modest range..i have a drilling in the same configuration you have except one of my 16 ga barrels has a 22 magnum insert in it...i ve lilled a few deer with my rifle on it which also is the 7x57r this is a great round....charlie

I still wanna get a set of rings from NECG as I'd like to actually see how well I can get the rifle barrel shooting at 100 yards . As to the slugs and buckshot in this thing I seriousely doubt if I would ever try over 30 yards with either . 90% of the time I'll be perched in a tree and have a bolt or lever gun along as well .