Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Several years ago it hit east central Indiana and all but wiped out the entire herd. I know guys who hunted all fall without seeing a single deer and it can take a very long time for populations to rebound.

It is my understanding that EHD/Blue Tongue appears after weeks without. Standing water is a incubator to the parasite that causes the disease. I have seen video of deer that have been infected. They wander and stumble around, tongue hanging out, due to dehydration. Best thing you can do is put it out of their misery.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Several years ago it hit east central Indiana and all but wiped out the entire herd. I know guys who hunted all fall without seeing a single deer and it can take a very long time for populations to rebound.

It is my understanding that EHD/Blue Tongue appears after weeks without. Standing water is a incubator to the parasite that causes the disease. I have seen video of deer that have been infected. They wander and stumble around, tongue hanging out, due to dehydration. Best thing you can do is put it out of their misery.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,234 Posts

We lived in Minford, Ohio for 7 years while I was on a project with our Company at the time (Stone & Webster Engrg Co). MInford is in southern Ohio about fifteen miles north of Portsmouth, Oh. Great grouse, woodcock and deer country. My best hunting years were out there. Terrible to hear about this disease
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

It gets worse I am afraid for the deer population. I think there are too many in certain areas and they can tend to get wiped out from a disease that could impact all of them. I think there another disease that is even worse called Chronic Wasting Disease that is spreading as well. It is said if it shows up it can pass from deer to deer from urine and feces and it can last in the soil for up to 10 years. If that were to happen that could wipe out deer populations in areas for decades.

They also warn people not to handle certain parts of dear showing signs of the disease since they are not certain it cannot be transmitted to humans.

I think there needs to be more proactive herd management strategies enacted in densely populated deer herds.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #15
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Another big 8 pt I found today while pheasant hunting. Gun is my GH 16 O frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171115_143248679.jpg (509.8 KB, 2 views)
Unread 11-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #16
John Cinkoske
Forum Associate

Member Info

Harold, If you were to take those remains home, would there be any risk to the herd that is around you? Maybe an idea would be drop them in a tub of mild bleach water?
John Cinkoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #17
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

should not be any risk. disease is spread by biting midges, which have now been killed by the cold.
The deer in my area were also hit hard by EHD anyways.