Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Added to the Buckingham library
Unread 05-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default Added to the Buckingham library

I recently added to my collection of Nash Buckingham books. I found me a copy of Game Bag from the limited reprinting done in 1986. I am waiting on a copy of "Once upon a time" that I am gambling on being an early printing. Have not tracked down me a copy of Hallowed years yet. My autographed copy of Tattered Coat is on my night stand so it isn't in this picture.

there is a book I have come across called "Tranquility" that some sources list Nash as an author on, but others credit him with just the introduction.

Still looking for a copy of American Hunter by Rutledge that is an early enough printing but not an arm and a leg.

Anyway more reading material for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg books.jpg (423.4 KB, 0 views)
Unread 05-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
I recently added to my collection of Nash Buckingham books. I found me a copy of Game Bag from the limited reprinting done in 1986. I am waiting on a copy of "Once upon a time" that I am gambling on being an early printing. Have not tracked down me a copy of Hallowed years yet. My autographed copy of Tattered Coat is on my night stand so it isn't in this picture.

there is a book I have come across called "Tranquility" that some sources list Nash as an author on, but others credit him with just the introduction.

Still looking for a copy of American Hunter by Rutledge that is an early enough printing but not an arm and a leg.

Anyway more reading material for me.
Not sure which "Tranquility" you have come across, but it's likely part of the H. Sheldon series. Those are great reads. I'll check to see if I have a double copy of Hallowed Years and let you know.

You have a good start on a nice collection. Watch out, though, it's an "ailment" as bad as the one we all have for Parkers.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Yes, Buckingham wrote the introduction to Tranquility. Col. Sheldon drove down to hunt with Nash on more than one occasion and they formed a lasting friendship.

I have the Tranquility trilogy all in original Derrydales. They are among my favorite reads, and with Memorial Day coming soon, there's one story I'll be reading again... "Not Without Honor."

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

and in one of my waterfowling anthology books is a story by Sheldon about hunting with Nash Buckingham
Unread 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks, most of mine are Derrydales. Mark Right is a Putnam printed in 44, Game Bag is a Buckingham Mint, and I believe Tattered Coat is a first edition but don't have it with me.

So Tranquility would be worth looking into after finishing with my Nash and Rutledge books?

BTW, I have several other writers, these are just the two I seem to be focusing on atm.

They are different and depending on when they are writing about I like them better for different reasons. I enjoy the breadth of Rutledge's writings more than Nash's, but I dearly love the stories Nash writes about hunting with his father and the judge and such growing up. I enjoy those much more than his latter writing, although I still enjoy those stories a great deal.
Unread 05-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,600 Times in 342 Posts

"Once Upon a Time" was part of Nash's estate and was printed in 1992.there has only been one printing of it.I have several of his books and may have a few extras.I was a member of Beaverdam for 9 years and was able to pick up a few items from some of the older members.Give me a PM or call at 615-403-0593.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

I thought there was a limited edition (similar to the Derrydale reprints) and a trade edition of Once upon a time
Unread 05-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yeah, the once upon a time I have recieved is a 1992 pinting.
Unread 05-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,600 Times in 342 Posts

Yes there was a limited and a trade edition.They were both done at the same time by the same publisher.Dr.Dirk Halstead and Robert Urich bought all of Nash's papers and were responsible for "Mr.Buck"and "once Upon a Time" being published.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post

So Tranquility would be worth looking into after finishing with my Nash and Rutledge books?

Bill, FYI, there are two iterations of Derrydale books, the originals from the 1930s and the reprints much later (1990-ish). Prices for these two printings are very (very!) different, but the reading is the same (and great!). If you are getting into Rutledge, be prepared for high prices for his books in original printings, as they are highly collectable. Again, there are various printings and forms of his books. If you are just getting acquainted with Rutledge, you might look for "Archibald Rutledge: The Man and His Books" by Dorothy Stone Harmon with a bibliography (worth the price of the book) by David Cupka. Cupka is a good source for collectable Rutledge books. He lives in the Charleston, SC area.

If you are interested at all in John Allen's book, I'd jump on it. I treasure mine and was able to get Robert Urich to sign it when he came to our campus. He was really astounded that there was someone in the audience that knew about this book (among a University filled with non-hunting academics!!).

Also, if you are not familiar with this website for rare/collectable books, I'd recommend ABE.com. You can get a really good sense of what's out there and what folks are asking.

You are reading some great authors(!) -- enjoy.

(PS I did not have a double copy of Hallowed Years...sorry.)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote