Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Auction Sale
Unread 05-08-2024, 10:12 PM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,111 Times in 426 Posts

Default Auction Sale

I hadn't checked and saw that the April Cowan's April auction ended a few days ago. They still have the catalog up and I noticed this sale. Did anyone here buy it?

https://hindmanauctions.com/items/10...-steel-barrels

Sale price was $4500 including buyers premium. Not a lot of sporting guns in the sale but there must have been an entire Lefever collection for sale.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 05-09-2024, 09:04 AM   #2
Jreed
PGCA Member

Member Info

What a beautiful gun. Someone got an awesome clays gun with that one.
John Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2024, 09:30 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,941 Times in 4,789 Posts

After many years of dealing with Cowan's, Hindman took over. Try as I might, I can't get registered with the Hindman's auction site. I gave up a while back.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2024, 09:41 AM   #4
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
After many years of dealing with Cowan's, Hindman took over. Try as I might, I can't get registered with the Hindman's auction site. I gave up a while back.
That's odd. I registered while it was still Cowan's and had no trouble in the switchover. The only thing odd (it has been a year or so) is that they have a separate bid site to actually place a bid and participate live.

Cowan's is only 90 miles from me and I can go and preview and then either bid from home or live. Their shipping is high but very good. It is a cost issue. High shipping but no tax charged vs tax and pickup. Depending on gun value it can be better one way or the other.

I always liked Cowan's. Cowan came to Lexington to school and then went back to Cincinnati and got in the business (UK used to be full of Cincinnati kids when I was there because out of state tuition at UK was cheaper than instate at OSU and UC). He became famous as a longtime appraiser on Antiques Roadshow during it's peak popularity. I always liked him because of his down to earth attitude and the fact that he was knowledgeable in many areas including art, military artifacts and firearms.

They seem to not get the attention the big firearms houses do because they auction so many things instead of guns. They do, however, get some really nice items and are worth the effort. If you bid on their site, the fee is less than the third party bid sites.
Unread 05-09-2024, 12:13 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,452 Posts

I had that gun on my radar even though I’m not supposed to be buying anything . But after looking into their buyers premium and the clusterfuck to have it shipped I decided it wasn’t worth the effort and frustration . If I read correctly they’ve gone to third party shipping .
Unread 05-09-2024, 01:44 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,941 Times in 4,789 Posts

Thanks, Craig. More of the same. These houses are making money so fast that they don't have time to do their own shipping or take care of their bidders. I can't imagine how they treat their consignors. Of course, many of them are not living and were not the ones who created the collections, so not many complaints.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2024, 02:13 PM   #7
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,555 Times in 1,268 Posts

Wish I had seen this one.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2024, 02:33 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
Wish I had seen this one.
32” vent rib barrel with little drop what’s not to like !
Unread 05-09-2024, 03:48 PM   #9
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I had that gun on my radar even though I’m not supposed to be buying anything . But after looking into their buyers premium and the clusterfuck to have it shipped I decided it wasn’t worth the effort and frustration . If I read correctly they’ve gone to third party shipping .
I don't know if they have changed recently but I purchased 3 guns from them last year and the shipping was pretty simple. After the auction, you let them know if you want to pick-up or ship. You call the shipping department, they give you the price and pay, and they ship. I would rather pick up everything as they are a little over an hour from me, but if out of state the shipping is cheaper than the sales tax, which they only charge in Ohio. I will say they pack the best of any auction house I have ever used. The buyer fees are not out of line with other houses I have seen. They are lower if you bid direct.
Unread 05-09-2024, 04:01 PM   #10
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I posted another item in the Other Doubles forum about what I considered the stars of the auction, considering price. It is titled "Two Nice Doubles". I was glad I didn't see the auction listing before it was over. They both have been on my bucket list and were actually affordable; a Holland Royal small bore double rifle and a Purdey smallbore cased set.