Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Looking for info and comments
Unread 10-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Default Looking for info and comments

Gents, I recently received from another PGCA member a photo of a boat with what I believe are Parker family members on board out for a day cruise, from the clothing they are wearing and the hats circa 1875?

The Parker family had a summer house in Fenwick at the confluence of the Conn River and Long Island sound. The boats shown in the photo and engraving on the gun are called " Cat Boats " The name on the boat is "Reporter"

Now as you can see the boat in the engraving and the photo look a lot alike, the engraving is on my A grade twenty lifter, shown recently on the home page

My thoughts are, could this be the same boat the engraver used as a pattern that was used for the gun? and was it made for a Parker family member? The letter with the gun does not give any info as to who the gun was made for or where it was to be shipped, just that it was completed in 1875.

The reason I think there is a Parker family connection here is that the photo came from Ellen Parker Day! , St.Johnsbury VT,

If any of you fellows can help shed some light on this let me know! Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4430.jpg (541.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Parker's Sailboat.jpg (388.1 KB, 21 views)
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,344 Times in 4,421 Posts

Wow, that would be cool if you could verify your theory. I would think the uniqueness of that engraving might be positive evidence
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Don't want to pour cold water on the theory but traditonal Cat Boats like were popular on the New England Coast don't have a Jib,the engraving carrys a Jib on a bowsprit.

Mast on a Cat is mounted all the way forward just behind the stem. Look at the fellow in the bow on the engraved gun, He's forward of the mast, you can't sit there on a Cat, no room most have about a foot or two forward of the mast at most. Fellow in the photo is standing forward of the mast toes almost over the bow.

Photo is a classic Cat Boat for sure. The Engraved boat does carry a very long boom as does a Cat, This would be normal for any Gaff rigged boat and many small boats used on the New England Coast

That Sailboat scene is my favorate Parker Engraving

William

Last edited by William Davis; 10-16-2015 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Spell
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,106 Posts

The photo is a known Parker document, as it came with a large collection of paperwork from a Parker family descendant. I have the original photograph, and it's unsigned, but Morris Rosenfeld haunted Long Island Sound for iconic shots
Gary, I checked and it was the Edmund Parker family that had the place at Fenwick. Fenwick, adjacent to Cornfield Point, was summer home to many notable and wealthy CT families, including Dr. Hepburn, father to Katherine and Peg. That shot is taken from about a mile off the mouth of the river, about Long Sand Shoal, looking to the North, just west of the inner lighthouse. (exact location, to remain secret, is the hottest Bluefishing spot on the CT shore)
I think since there was such limited info in the order book for that gun, it very likely was made for an 'inside' recipient. Having the gun for a week, meant getting very little work done, as I studied it, under the magnifying hood most of the time. There is so much 'personal' engraving, it was without a doubt, intended for someone special.
Whether Parker's catboat was the inspiration, I don't know, but we all know engravers take certain 'license' in their interpretation of what was intended. Certain unearthly looking animals, and Annie Oakley come to mind.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

At least I am getting my story straight, thanks and if any one can add comment feel free, This gun had to be made for someone special, The very first twenty gauge lifter, and no mention of who or where it was to go! thanks gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

No question on the Cat Boats orgin or owners. It's the engraving I would like to more about

It's common for Artist to take some license with a boats shape and rig. Just like other Parker engraving Birds Dogs etc. Boat engraving on your gun could be modeled after any one of several common small sail boats used in around Connecticut when the gun was built.

Best reference if you want to have a look is Howard Chappell's " American Small Sailing Craft. Looking at it now couple of boats could have been the artist model. Connecticut River Shad Boat for one. Boats back then were very local in design none built from plans all built by eye each one improving on others in the same area. Sailor could spot where it came from in a glance.

To really pin it down Mystic Seaport would be a good place to ask. Mystic has the largest boat photo collection arround, Web site says 800,000 images including the entire Rosenfeld collection. Bet they would enjoy helping too.

William

Last edited by William Davis; 10-16-2015 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Add Mystic Seaport
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,106 Posts

Bill, You know your boats! I've been a life long boater from CT and still, at 68, haunt old yards and lofts, as well as being a member of the Seaport. Maine tops CT for one-off designs, but we had some great builders, like Seth Persson, A.J. Finkleday, Pugsley to name a few. There were several marine engines, gas and steam, built in CT. Everyone knows Palmer, but Noank Foundry made castings for no less than six early gas engine makers.
I have pawed through the glass negatives in the Rosenfeld building for more than a few hours. That interest started with my dad, but I found and an original, sign Morris Rosenfeld, dated July, 1912, in an auction barn one night. The auctioneer announce there wouldn't be an auction, so If anyone wanted anything, bring it up and he'd price it. I showed him the photo, and his reply was, "Five bucks for the frame, and you get the picture free" I gave him 5 bucks, took the photo out of the frame and left the frame there. The photo has a note on the back "Larchmont Race Week, Larchmont New York, Juy, 1912" It's, so far, the only image of the only three Herreshoff K boats ever built.
I've had, and still have, antique wooden boats, my best being the oneI let get away after 30 years; and original 32' fantail steam launch. Bill Ruger talked me out of it.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I know my boats south Chesapeake Bay and North Carolina Sounds, up your way very little experience . On the Bay used to be you could spot which yard a work boat came from soon as you saw it, now most are plastic. Still distinctive Just not as much variety .

Worked on the waterfront my whole life. Years ago Captain on one of our ships John Wilbur from Noank Conn wanted to build a new Sword-fisherman lofted her in his,cabin on a Far East Voyage. Came into Norfolk asked me if I could get some North Carolina Juniper. Bought a truck load for him and shipped it to Mystic. Couple years later he showed me the Finished Boat, Classic New England Lobster/Sword Fisherman long Bow Pulpit and all.

Be nice to pin down that Parker engraving.

William
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

In the photo is it just me or does the person at the bow resemble a woman in pants?
Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,229 Times in 12,375 Posts

Very likely a woman and seated on the starboard side in a white blouse holding her hat on and possibly the person next to her as well having a large hat.

The boat in the photo has a low cabin while the boat in the engraving does not.

I am more impressed with the knowledge displayed on this thread than most threads I have read this year, regardless of subject matter.

Edgar, some of us saw that collection when you brought it to Addievillea few years ago just after you bought it at auction.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote