Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 03-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #41
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,425 Times in 686 Posts

Craig: Very impressive. Organized display categories. Systematic. The vintage sporting art.

And, my imagination runs wild with what you could do with an octagonal house.
Unread 03-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #42
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

It's nice to be able to display our guns in this manner but in today's environment I feel much better with mine in a safe. Not a good way to view them and the one I want is usually in the back but safe from prying eyes and unwanted guests.
Unread 03-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #43
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I have a safe, but dont keep guns in there...just jewelry precious metals coins and important papers. I need my guns where I can see them....putting them in a safe is like putting artwork in a safe.
Unread 03-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #44
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
I need my guns where I can see them....putting them in a safe is like putting artwork in a safe.
Until someone breaks in and steals them or you have a fire. I just visited mine in their respective safes.
Unread 03-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #45
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am in the insurance bussness..and have personally seen about five gunsafes opened up after a bad fire. Two of them had started out on the second floor, but ended up upside down, or on their side, on the bottom floor, both full of ruined guns. Some when opened, had all the wood finishes ruined, and some plastic stuff melted. And at least a couple of times, the safe did its job.

On another occasion just last year, a friend and client of mine who collects model 21's was the subject of a home invasion, in the middle of the day, by guys posing as UPS delivery guys. They were there for the guns, and he had about forty on display, but another 100 or so in a very large walk in safe. the held a gun on his wife while screaming at my friend to open the safe, which had a very complicated combination. Unable to think under the stress, he was having a difficult time opening the safe while these guys were pistol whipping him, and threatening to kill his wife . About that time they alarm siren in the house went off, as the maid, who the intruders were unaware of pushed the panic button. The robbers gathered up armfuls of the 21's on display and whatever elese they could grab and left.

Don't really know why I am telling this story, but I really think it is each to his own how to protect your guns. Again, We have at least the dame amount of investment in artwork hanging on our walls as I have in guns. I own them to look at and shoot, and handle, not to hoard.

All that being said, if I was concerned about the investment value of my collection, they would be living in the vault at my bank.
Unread 03-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #46
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

PS...I DO have a safe at the ranch, and during hunting season it is chock full of rifles and shotguns, and I get in a cussing match with myself every time at Dark Thirty in the morning when the gun/guns I need are at the back of the safe!
Unread 03-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #47
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

To each his own but I feel better with them in a safe. No one is going to come by in the middle of the day and see a gun cabinet or a rack on the wall full of guns and be able to plan the robbery.
Unread 03-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #48
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

My security measure is buying beaters that a thief looks at and keeps on walking.

Seriously I eventually want a walk in vault with display.

Uncle Hugh had the coolest gun room at his Plantation. I remember several LC Smiths and probably the Parker he won on his skeet shooting competitions. Someone broke in and stole the whole thing, so the threat is real
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #49
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Life is full of risks, I just buy insurance against loss and enjoy my guns in full view. Most of my friends keep their gun collection locked away which is fine but not my deal.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #50
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

I finally, after more than a dozen years, got around to getting a five-gun rack to install over my .348 Win. ammo collection, to display my Model 71s.

Model 71 Collection 02.JPG
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote