Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Just bought this D grade...questions
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

Default Just bought this D grade...questions

Gun broker auction...321167979 Never kept a hammer Parker and have been looking for one. Please take a look at this and tell me about the case and tools if anyone knows about the items I bought. I did try to get the seller to answer some questions about the guns condition...but could not weight for his answer...thought it would be gone on a buy now like I just did and I would loose it. Its listed as a D grade but has a hard rubber type but plate like a G grade would have, the guns looks nice in the pictures...??? Thanks all SXS ohio NOW YOU CAN'T SAY REPRO GUYS ARE ALL BAD!...(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

It looks like you just bought a grade 2. The seller titled the auction a D grade but if you look at the item description it states side by side G-grade shotgun with a #2 frame. The pictures are poor but on the last pic is engraving seen on grade two's.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,550 Times in 4,623 Posts

Titled as a d grade but describe as a g grade. Very nice setup that you bought with case all those accessories.
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

I just spoke with the owner. no bore pitts,boogered screws, no splits or cracks. He think it was perchased new from parker by his grand dad who lived in Kansas at the time. He will send all known info and maybe some old pictures of men and the parker...they were duck hunter he said. The gun was well cared for. He has had it 30 years. Last time it was shot by his father in the 60-s they hand loaded some shells with the supplied tools in the pictures. Cool!
Unread 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

The gun is her and a very nice package....The only fuss is the action is slightly loose on the pin. Will want that corrected and maybe fresh up the barrels as they have some ugly black rust blems but no deep pitting...maybe a job for Bachelders. It has a realy good condition vintage original case from that time period. Its very old and not useable due to age but could be used to copy as its all there. This set was shiped to simmons hardware in KS and is a one family set. I got several load tools that are very good condition and lots of neet items, and several metal shell cases marked UMC, pack of original primers. I ask the seller to send a letter that tells about this gun and the owners..maybe some old pictures too. I will post pictures when I can...Im slamed in the gun shop with all that has happend!.....SXS ohio
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 12-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

Now is the time to get all the details you can on the previous ownership. Ask if the seller can write you a letter detailing as much info on this gun's history as they can. Find out all you can about the grand dad, and store this in the case.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I think you did very well on that one Kenny. Looks like a great set and a reasonable price. I think I would have hit the BIN button on that one myself, and I'm not in a buying mode right now, but would have been for that one. It looks like a twin to my 10ga.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good deal, Kenny! There are quite a few hundred dollars worth of antique loading tools there.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks....Them tools are realy nice,...stuff I have never seen before.....Im so slamed at work I can't enjoy any of it yet. Hope to call brad and make arrangements for some repair work on the shotgun.
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

The gun no. 43805 is now at Bachelders in Michigan. Brad called and we went over the pluses and minises....When the gun first arrived I was very happy with its condition, nothing ugly. Its a little loose on the hinge pin and the finish could use freshed up, wood and metal. I was so busy with work I did not get to properly measure the bore and only stuck a choke wedge in the muzzles. It showed them to be both cyl...bummer I thought??? The original case that has been with the gun maybe since day one was made for the 28" barrels not any longer so I did not feel they had been shortened. The gun had to be put back on face so it was sent off the Bachelders for the work. When Brad called after getting a look at the old girl, I asked about the barrels and chokes, he properly measured them while we talked. They measured full/full. I was puzzled about that, from my barrel wedge reading of Cyl/Cyl. He explained that the early guns had 11 ga. bores made for metal type shells like the ones that came with this gun...thay are factory overbore! Im always learning new things. Overall the gun is as shiped from the factory less 120 years of sevice and finish loss! After inspecting the barrels that are the original F/F and 100% servicable Brad advised a full restoration. Brad has several hammer guns in for updates and feels my gun will make a great restored G-grade hammer gun that will be able to shoot modern 2 3/4 target loads with no problem or safty concerns. And he would not be afraid to shoot tom turkey with a standard type field load! Bores are nice,have not been honed and have plenty of steel in them. Thats all it took for me to give him my blessing on the full restoration. He will clean up up the breach area and give the bores a light polish for a nice flawless look that we all like. It will take approx 8 months to bring the wood and metal back to lady she once was...(-: This will be my oldest Parker and she will will get back in the game this cumming fall. Im very pleased with that old gun! Brad says it has less common engraving of upland birds instead of waterfoul found on most of the G grades of that period. COOL! Thanks all SXS ohio....(-:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post: