Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #41
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Do not use Hevi Shot instead of another type of non-toxic listed in the loading data. The hardness of the shot affects pressure. In general the harder the shot the higher the peak pressure. Hevi Shot is harder than most other non-toxic shot types.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #42
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

Pete, (and others) the published loads with 44 or 45 grains of Herco don't sound right because they are ridiculous loads, not because of a misprint or a change in the character of the powder over the years. The velocity of those loads is 1350 and up. No one needs such a load, either in a fluid steel gun or a Damascus gun. Pete, thanks for publishing the spreadsheet, but maybe we shouldn't include every published load, certainly not the ones mentioned.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #43
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Pete, (and others) the published loads with 44 or 45 grains of Herco don't sound right because they are ridiculous loads, not because of a misprint or a change in the character of the powder over the years. The velocity of those loads is 1350 and up. No one needs such a load, either in a fluid steel gun or a Damascus gun. Pete, thanks for publishing the spreadsheet, but maybe we shouldn't include every published load, certainly not the ones mentioned.
Bill, I agree you with you that I would not use that much Herco and shoot it in any gun. As far as the spreadsheet goes my goal was to find and record in a single place all published loads for the 2 7/8" 10 gauge. As you can see from the attached scan these loads were published in the 1968 Hercules "Smokeless Powder Guide". The benefit here is that if these loads were published then they would have been within SAAMI standards for pressure at the time, which does not mean they are suitable for composite barrels. Although some of the components are no longer available it allows reloaders who wildcat to make better educated decisions about their reloads. I agree 44/45 grains of Herco is too much, but a 25% reduction to 32/33 grains may be a nice load, and that is the value of the spreadsheet as I see it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Herco10ga.pdf (101.4 KB, 148 views)
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #44
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Peter - those of us who came late to the short 10 really appreciate all of your effort

looking at these loads- i find it odd they do not specify a brand for the hull or primer - both components that have an affect on pressure.
Unread 11-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #45
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Peter - those of us who came late to the short 10 really appreciate all of your effort

looking at these loads- i find it odd they do not specify a brand for the hull or primer - both components that have an affect on pressure.
Thanks, it is odd by today's standards but that information, hull, primer and pressure is not to be found in that 1968 Hercules publication.
Unread 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #46
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane johnson View Post
Great stuff, if only you had some for 2 5/8".....
Shane if you roll crimp you may be able to use the 2 7/8th inch folded crimp data for your 2 5/8th inch loads. I use fiber wads in my 10 gauge loads so adjusting wad column height by 1/4 inch is not a problem
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #47
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

i have been roll crimping all my 2 5/8 - and so far have not tried a low pressure load from Peter's sheet that I could not use.
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #48
Mark Garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Need a little help .Not very familiar with 10Ga loadings , but being that I just bought an Ithaca Super 10ga I need to start . What Remington hulls is being referred to in the spread sheet with these designations , Rem whtltr , Rem OS, Rem blkltr . Can all the Remington hulls with a plastic base wad be used interchangeably ?

Thanks.
Mark Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #49
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Garrett View Post
Need a little help .Not very familiar with 10Ga loadings , but being that I just bought an Ithaca Super 10ga I need to start . What Remington hulls is being referred to in the spread sheet with these designations , Rem whtltr , Rem OS, Rem blkltr . Can all the Remington hulls with a plastic base wad be used interchangeably ?

Thanks.
Congrats on the new gun. Rem Hulls white letter is as the name applies, they are factory loaded hulls stamped with white letter marking. I have a bunch that were factory busmuth loads. Rem black letter, same thing, black letter stamping, I have seen that on what were factory steel shot loads. Rem OS, I am not sure what OS stands for. I purchased some unfired Rem hulls with no markings for a snow goose hunt a couple of years ago and loaded them with SR7625 and Bismuth 1's. I shot them through a Twist barrel Parker NH and Rem 1894 Damascus gun without issue. If the Remington hulls have a plastic base wad I load them the same but that's just me.
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #50
Mark Garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for help the help . I bought some new Remington hulls from Precision , so they should work just fine . I have 700x on hand and will load some 1 1/8 loads and try her out . I also have a fair amount of 7625 on but am saving that for my 16ga LP hunting Loads .

I plan on putting some Bismuth loads together for the short 10 , but don't really need or want low pressure , so I will develope something with another powder and send them to Tom Armburst for testing .

Thanks again for the Explanation .

Mark
Mark Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote